Super Contributor

"Indian Corn" Sunflowers

[ Edited ]

This is from Martha Stewart years ago. If you didn't want to glue the kernels to the center, beads on string that are sewn to the cardstock could work too. These would be pretty year around if you have primitive / country theme. This link also has daisy's and Cosmos.

Happy crafting! 

https://www.marthastewart.com/921428/how-make-cornhusk-flowers

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: "Indian Corn" Sunflowers

That's pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ane1Care 

These are lovely.

I have watched Martha S. from years ago...when she first came on the scene.  She inspired me to entertain in my own home to the best of my ability/budget.

Gotta love her....She often suggests very detail oriented crafts that yield beautiful results.....over the years, however, I learned to take shortcuts to get thereCat LOL

Not sure I'm going to glue corn kernels anytime soon, but the ARE pretty.

Respected Contributor

That is just gorgeous! I want it.

Super Contributor

I was the odd kid in the 80s. While others were watching cartoons, I voluntarily watched PBS for the crafts and woodworking. When Martha came out in 93, I was sucked in. At twelve, instead of watching MTV like my friends, I was learning how to properly iron linens, make extravagant foods, and how to do detailed crafts, like this. 🤓

I’ve always tweaked them all. To do it my way, and more cost effective for me. For this? Not gluing kernels via tweezers, one-at-a-time. Should I do it with kernels at all, beads seem easier and more lasting, I would make a circle, paint it with glue, sprinkle kernels over it, rub them to flatten them out, and move them with my finger to the desired pattern. The glue will dry clear, and if anyone wants to get that close to inspect for excess dried craft glue, by all means do. Just be prepared to get spritzed with a water bottle like my cats when they get too nosey. 😂 

I’m now wanting to make poinsettias like this. The shape of the husks are perfect for it. 

Honored Contributor

That's very pretty. I bought a wreath with sunflowers on it for one of my doors. I haven't put it up yet. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be for fall but it will go up soon lol.