Honored Contributor

Re: over-sized theme

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

According to Dan Hughes the trend this year is for everything to be big and oversized. From the 4' nutcrackers to the 12' inflatable Santa and tree the buyers are pushing all these oversized dramatic pieces on us.   As a reminder not everyone has cathedral ceilings or open floor plans. QVC seems to be missing the mark this Holiday season. Even Valerie is pushing glitter.  Where are the traditional pieces ? QVCs buyers all seem to be in their 20s and 30s. Again, the older more traditional customer is being neglected.

@Reever

I was thinking the same thing Reever.....And there doesn't  seem to be any coordination between all the vendors either....many of the vendors are offering similar pieces and styles--the lines are looking all alike these days with little variety (just like their clothing lines)....There needs to be more variety, and too many repeats of the same items year after year....I can see coming back ONE more time if something was a big seller but not 2-3years down the line....!!!!   This should be the buyers responsibility....They seem to be on auto pilot in purchasing for home decor...

I think they need to include a buyer with a bit more tenure under their belt...I think these buyers are buying for their age group and young families but that's not QVC's customer base (Q's CEO  Mike George admitted it was 45 and older)............. 

A lot of people especially in QVC's customer base age group are at the stage where they are downsizing because they no longer need big houses, they are empty nesters or retirees or they like to travel...Retail wise this is a great group to target because they probably have more disposable income....but many now live in smaller sized homes and therefore less square footage to display and store things...So although Oversized may be a theme for the Christmas industry as a whole.......it doesnt fit in with the needs and wants for the majority of their customer base.....Thats why their financial reports arent all that great....with the exception of Zulilly, which is doing good!....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I like the over sized items. I am trying to scale back the amount of decorating that I do for all the seasons/holidays (especially Christmas). I want fewer but larger pieces. I have a larger, older home with a semi open floor plan so a few larger items works better for me. This year it seems their is a bit more variety (size wise) than in previous years. I just wish that S& H  was included .

Honored Contributor

Re: over-sized theme

[ Edited ]

If I were young and starting out, my interest would be in the larger decorations.   My choice is to have a few larger holiday pieces than cover every surface with smaller decorations.   

I no longer decorate my home on a big scale, but the first pieces that come out are the large indoor Santa and Angel, and the big Snowman for the front porch.   

Respected Contributor

My living room and family rooms have almost 20 foot ceilings but I do not care for a lot of the oversized pieces. Some are okay. Many of them are whimsical and they just don't speak to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I like the idea of oversized items where they make sense.  So many people have those two story rooms where standard sizes get lost.  It's all about scale and proportion.

@Marsha2003

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about scale and proportion.

The oversized craze is not new. It's just that QVC has caught on to what many of us were trying to do. 

For many years (and decades ago especially) Christmas decor consisted of a lot of small (often super small) trinkets. The average stores didn't have big statement kinds of pieces, and the going decor was a host of little 'stuff'. 

Many of us who decorated with those things, got to the point where instead, we were looking for a few key statement pieces (translated often as bigger) and that they be coordinated in style and color. We were looking for a curated and pulled together look. 

QVC is simply answering a request made by many for such things.

Trends in home decor now are favoring a less is more philosophy. So a large wreath over the fireplace mantel, and a couple of big fat candles has replaced a row of knick knack kind of things cluttering up the space. 

A 4 ft. nutcracker/soldier next to the entrance, and a color coordinating wreath on the front door is now considered festive enough to do away with many smaller things. 

Even those with the smallest of living spaces could gain impact and create a cleaner look with one or two oversized items, vs many smaller items scattered about. It doesn't always take a large space to properly utilize an oversized type item. It can be about one big thing looking better than six smaller ones in the space.