Honored Contributor

Re: Your holiday preparing, is it different this year?

Since hearing about shortages, shortages, shortages --- don't know really what to believe!  Any how, I don't have many people to buy gifts for these days, but I did decide to do the majority of my purchases early.  I am done with the exception of purchasing a couple gift cards.  Also, DH and I have already purchased our turkey and other foods for our Thanksgiving meal.  There is just he and I so it's not a big hoopla!  As for Christmas meal, we will probably be doing something simple and get the things for that early, as well.  I even purchased my Christmas stamps early!  As for decorating, I always wait until the day after Thanksgiving before I begin.  These days, it takes me several days to do it all as I am not what I used to be.  Things this year are pretty much the same as last year.  We don't have much family, so we just do our own thing.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Yes, very different---sold my house and moved into a small apartment--all my stuff is in storage including the decors. Have a tiny kitchen so won't be doing much cooking or baking. gifts are not an issue anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I've mailed the 2 out of town Christmas gifts I had and they've been received.  I've finished shopping for 2 other friends and my sister and our grandson.  I still have shopping to do for my brother in law and my sisters adult children.  

To be honest, my approach to the holidays now is that it's 2 days in a 2 month period.  48 hours.  I just don't want to over-hype them and have all this hoopla and tons of preparation.  I am not up to it and I am not interested in preparations taking up too much of my thought process and energy.  Just really not into holidays.  Tons and tons of preparation and expense for 2 days.  Just not interested.  But I realize I am in the minority. 

@gidgetgh I am with you especially that families are gone.  So it's just my husband and me now.  But even so, I simply wore out the last 2 or 3 years my mom was home and we'd go visit her.  I just didn't have the ooph for it any more--and more so now.

We used to do ham sandwiches at her house and open gifts on Christmas Eve with kin folks and us and it was a big deal, and after they were all dead but her, we switched to chicken and dumplings (which I made ahead all but the dumplings and took to her house) and something scaled back on Christmas day.  But I was worn out of it by then too.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I've mailed the 2 out of town Christmas gifts I had and they've been received.  I've finished shopping for 2 other friends and my sister and our grandson.  I still have shopping to do for my brother in law and my sisters adult children.  

To be honest, my approach to the holidays now is that it's 2 days in a 2 month period.  48 hours.  I just don't want to over-hype them and have all this hoopla and tons of preparation.  I am not up to it and I am not interested in preparations taking up too much of my thought process and energy.  Just really not into holidays.  Tons and tons of preparation and expense for 2 days.  Just not interested.  But I realize I am in the minority. 

@gidgetgh I am with you especially that families are gone.  So it's just my husband and me now.  But even so, I simply wore out the last 2 or 3 years my mom was home and we'd go visit her.  I just didn't have the ooph for it any more--and more so now.

We used to do ham sandwiches at her house and open gifts on Christmas Eve with kin folks and us and it was a big deal, and after they were all dead but her, we switched to chicken and dumplings (which I made ahead all but the dumplings and took to her house) and something scaled back on Christmas day.  But I was worn out of it by then too.

@Sooner  "Especially that families are gone". Yep.  We used to have at least 25 Christmas Eve at my mother in laws house.  Just a very few left.  In terms of the "blood relatives" on my husbands side, only 3 left,  My family, at maximum, was 9.  My parents are gone and my husband is gone so that leaves 6, assuming my 2 nephews are in town.  They couldn't come last year because of Covid.

My interest in the holidays is zero anymore.  Couldn't care less.  I realize that's not the healthiest attitude but all the attrition takes a toll after awhile.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh I think in your situation and mine that attitude is more realistic than unhealthy.  As long as we don't feel that way about every day, I'll add.

But I think we have faced the fact that you can't make a big holiday deal any more, and that it is what it is--so enjoy and appreciate the memories and carry on!

Best wishes, I am sorry for your losses, and take heart!  We're still here and life has it's good moments still!  Just not a big whoop holiday!  Which is ok!  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh @Sooner... As with so many things in life, it was fun while it lasted... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@gidgetgh @Sooner... As with so many things in life, it was fun while it lasted... Woman Wink

@stevieb There you go!  You have supplied me with a motto for going forward now.  

Many years ago watching my mother and aunt refuse to bend I realized that it isn't the worst thing in the world to change course when needed.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  For many years I relished the holiday season, simply adored it. Over time and for a variety of reasons, it stopped being fun, so there's really no use in trying to pretend otherwise. I wonder if it was ever as wondrous as I sometimes thought it was. It seems holidays might always have been tinged with a bit of the bittersweet, perhaps now more than ever as we age and as things change. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Very slight changes. Except for when I was in my 20's when I actually thought that it was fun to go out a few days before Christmas and purchase all of my gifts. (Why?) 

Once I left my 20's and found my mind, I always have my Christmas shopping wrapped up during the month of November.

I have changed my food shopping habits this year. Normally, I always pickup a ham a few days before Thanksgiving. This year, I purchased my ham last weekend and stuck it in my freezer.

In a few hours I will be heading to Popeye's to pre-order a Turkey for Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

Very slight changes. Except for when I was in my 20's when I actually thought that it was fun to go out a few days before Christmas and purchase all of my gifts. (Why?) 

Once I left my 20's and found my mind, I always have my Christmas shopping wrapped up during the month of November.

I have changed my food shopping habits this year. Normally, I always pickup a ham a few days before Thanksgiving. This year, I purchased my ham last weekend and stuck it in my freezer.

In a few hours I will be heading to Popeye's to pre-order a Turkey for Christmas. 

@icezeus Do NOT say Popeye's chicken loud enough for my husband to hear it!  One time on the way east we stopped in Memphis, and they were out of chicken!  Crisis!

So we had to wait for the batter guy to get back and batter the chicken and cook it!!!  By then we needed to get on the road, so I drove and he ate hot crumbly chicken in MY NEW CAR!!!!!  In New Orleans, so many good restaurants to go to--he has some between meals.  Truth!!!!!

Popeyes seems more spicy the further south you go.  LOVE it!