Respected Contributor

Re: Your holiday preparing, is it different this year?

I'm collecting my stocking stuffers now so I don't have to settle for what's left after Thanksgiving. Spreads out the hit on the budget too. One small wrapped gift and a gift card is my go to for immediate family. I'm gathering those gifts early too. I don't want to be in people-packed stores in December. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have completed our Christmas shopping and have planned a simple menu of ham and a couple of sides. The pantry items needed to prepare those are here waiting patiently to be used. We are hoping our son who lives far away may make it home this year. I may cancel his visit if the COVID numbers are too high. Our low vaccination rate of 43% and no masks makes every outing into this community risky.

Since we will be alone at Thanksgiving, we have a turkey breast we picked up this week on our grocery order that is in our freezer as well as a Mrs. Field's pecan pie. Our menu will be scaled back, but still a traditional one. I normally prepare enough food for a banquet, but we will probably only have enough leftovers for one additional meal.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio We always do Thanksgiving for my brothers' families and for any of our children who aren't going to in-laws. If everyone comes, it's around 25 people. This year we're working on some renovations at our house, there's a new baby at my neice's house, and my DD is having shoulder surgery. I don't know what it will look like! Last year wasn't great because of Covid,. Kind of empty at our table! I'm not too worried about the shortages. We should be able to get a turkey.

As for Christmas gifts, our grandchildren are mostly all about money or video game cards. The kids like money too; but, I'll probably get shirts for the guys and kitchen-y stuff for the girls. Your advice to shop early is well taken. I am going to start this week. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I've mailed the 2 out of town Christmas gifts I had and they've been received.  I've finished shopping for 2 other friends and my sister and our grandson.  I still have shopping to do for my brother in law and my sisters adult children.  

To be honest, my approach to the holidays now is that it's 2 days in a 2 month period.  48 hours.  I just don't want to over-hype them and have all this hoopla and tons of preparation.  I am not up to it and I am not interested in preparations taking up too much of my thought process and energy.  Just really not into holidays.  Tons and tons of preparation and expense for 2 days.  Just not interested.  But I realize I am in the minority. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving, I already have my Libbys pumpkin.  As long as I can get a turkey, I'm good.  I even have some cranberry sauce (no one liked cranberry relish! except me but I like that too!).

Christmas, the handmade Santas will come out.  I'm the matriarch of the fam, and DS wants his mom's period.

We will always put up a big, live tree.

Most gifts are easy for me (esp. when our 14 yr old GS told me last year he was saving my gifts (he knows the handmade bows) because I'm his favorite!!!).  That tickled me!

My DILove would love to have a yellow gold ring.  I have a diamond Levian ring on layaway for her.  It will always sparkle, but never "outsparkle" her!!!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have to admit that with all that's going on in the world these days, I have zero Christmas spirit.  My guess gift cards are the way I'll go.  (Sorry for the "downer" post).

@Krimpette 

Honey, I hope you feel better as we get closer to the holidays, right night it seems far away.

With Christmas trees on tops of cars, the wreaths some tye to their car's front, and  everyone's excitement, hopefully you'll feel better.

One Christmas between positions, all I did was be in this house and grocery shop.  I couldn't get Christmas excitement.  I got a quick little job at Charming Charlies and got to be out in everything until Christmas.  I felt much better!

Honored Contributor

I don't think Christmas is exciting for everyone.  We aren't children any more, families are scattered or gone.  It's OK.  It's ok and you can enjoy and cherish the good memories you have, let go of the no-so-wonderful ones if you have them, and still enjoy the season.

Don't put too much pressure on your self, don't expect magic, just let it come as it may!  Usually there's enough  to go around!  

Respected Contributor

I always buy my gifts early, so there's no difference for me in that area.  I just hope the wreaths I have ordered as drop shipped gifts aren't delayed.  

We didn't travel to visit my parents last year because of the virus, but are planning to go this year as we are both fully vaccinated.  However, I just found out that my brother and his wife are not vaccinated and various other relatives are unvaccinated also.  I'm not sure how to handle that.

I've heard that turkeys will be in short supply, but I'm not going to worry about it.  If there are no turkeys, we will make something else.  I think I'll just have to try to be adaptable and let things go unplanned which definitely is NOT my normal methodology.

Luckily, we don't have to worry about finding the latest toy/game because everyone on our gift list is college-aged or older.

Esteemed Contributor

All I have to do is buy one gift card and that's it. We are having a room addition done and if it's done I'll put up a tree, if not oh well. As for food, we do reservations for Thanksgiving and bbq outside for Christmas. We don't make a big deal of the holidays. 

Esteemed Contributor

We didn’t make changes last year and we will continue with our traditions. It’s just the three of us and sons girlfriend.