Honored Contributor

Re: Your holiday experience--how's it been?

It was, and will continue to be, different through the New Year. We stayed home, did not go to church and had a very quiet holiday. On the plus side, it was not stressful nor nearly as expensive because we only gave gifts to the two toddlers. There was no adult gift exchange (except with a sister on my side) and we didn't share that with anyone else but the QVC boards!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten .  I think you have a bad attitude and are very ungrateful for your son's and dil's efforts to keep you safe and alive.  Perhaps due to their hesitancy to expose you to this horrid virus, you'll live to celebrate other holidays.  You seem to infer they have ulterior motives, and delight in relating that you managed to embarrass your dil.  Millions of people had less than stellar holidays but are mature enough to understand the reasons why they can't hug their grandchildren and accept them without complaint.

----------

@Kachina624 maybe I read more into what @GoneButNotForgotten said, but I took it that the little girl let it be known others had been allowed into their house when her dad supposedly was trying to keep everyone distanced. That's what I thought was upsetting to the OP, but I could have misinterpreted the situation.

Esteemed Contributor

We are a “socially distant family.”  Period.  No exceptions.

Last time we had a family gathering was in early March.  We see one another once in a while, wearing masks, from a distance.  We all miss getting together, and we miss having our two GC stay here.  They are only about one half hour away.

My DD had covid in March and fortunately recovered well with a relatively mild case.  We don’t want to get sick, or do we want to make anyone else sick.  Our goal is to have everyone stay well until this nightmare is over.  We talk on the phone and Zoom.  Of course, we miss all like crazy.  But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Respected Contributor

We had quite a nice holiday. I went all out decorating, except no tree. We don't do much in the way of gifts any more but I did a lot of baking and sent candy and cookie gifts to all DH's buddies at the American Legion - they love to see him coming with an armful of little gift bags. I also gave some goodies to some of our neighbors..

We exchanged dinners with our favorite couple during Christmas week - they came to ours for pulled pork and we went to theirs for lasagna. Delicious desserts at both houses.

Spent a quiet Christmas day with no chores except dinner.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

----------

@Kachina624 maybe I read more into what @GoneButNotForgotten said, but I took it that the little girl let it be known others had been allowed into their house when her dad supposedly was trying to keep everyone distanced. That's what I thought was upsetting to the OP, but I could have misinterpreted the situation.

Kachina624, you hit the nail on the head. My attitude toward my d.i.l. is...well I have to be careful or I don't get to see my granddaugher. This has been going on for nearly two years. I've tried my darndest to get along with her but no matter what I do, I'm wrong--always. The one thing that bothers me most is that my son goes along with it; I didn't raise him that way. It especially bothers me that he and his wife called ME a "loose canon".

I don't argue with my son and his wife about this kind of thing. I'd "lose" the argument no matter what. I'm keeping my thoughts about their behavior to myself, and will be observing, with keen interest, when this comes back to bite them. And it will; it always does. Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten .  I think you have a bad attitude and are very ungrateful for your son's and dil's efforts to keep you safe and alive.  Perhaps due to their hesitancy to expose you to this horrid virus, you'll live to celebrate other holidays.  You seem to infer they have ulterior motives, and delight in relating that you managed to embarrass your dil.  Millions of people had less than stellar holidays but are mature enough to understand the reasons why they can't hug their grandchildren and accept them without complaint.

----------

@AuntG.  She really gave no clue as to what the child said but took great delight in the fact that she embarrassed her dil. I can see where their relationships might be strained.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Not complaining, but my reality - Holiday was reduced this year, just as many others experienced. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Ours was great. It was just the 3 of us. I cooked and baked and we watched movies, opened gifts and we were just very grateful to be together in the same house.

DS left back to Kingsville and DH and I cleaned kitchen. 

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

----------

Kachina624, you hit the nail on the head. My attitude toward my d.i.l. is...well I have to be careful or I don't get to see my granddaugher. This has been going on for nearly two years. I've tried my darndest to get along with her but no matter what I do, I'm wrong--always. The one thing that bothers me most is that my son goes along with it; I didn't raise him that way. It especially bothers me that he and his wife called ME a "loose canon".

I don't argue with my son and his wife about this kind of thing. I'd "lose" the argument no matter what. I'm keeping my thoughts about their behavior to myself, and will be observing, with keen interest, when this comes back to bite them. And it will; it always does. Cat Wink

@GoneButNotForgotten It could very well be that a person/persons who have not been careful have been in their home, and so they are being diligent in making sure you do not come close.

And yes, it does sound like you raised him right...he has his wife's back and they are a united front, which is as it should be.

Respected Contributor

It sure was different but Ok.  I put up my Christmas tree cause I'm not gonna let Covid Stop me.  It's pretty.  It's a light in the darkness.

My family wrapped up our gifts and mailed them out to each other around the country at Thanksgiving to beat the postal crush.   We Zoomed Christmas and opened our gifts with each other as "usual".  It was as merry as we could make it.