Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yikes! So many bad reviews for Valerie's stuff....

I think the real issue is with manufacturers  being so cheap and sloppy with these goods, Valerie buys from manufacturers that other companies buy from to . It  speaks to where they are coming from . In reading reviews  of complaints, I just wonder how they are able to pull merchandise in good working order for their sets .

The item that I received last yr a light up Christmas globe in shape of a tree  with a Nativity  scene  was  really nice. Just wish I had ordered 2 instead . Mine worked perfectly from the start .  This yr  I purchased the large mercury glass  candle pedestals  that illuminate , they work fine so far . I also ordered the peral metal  cone  in silver and gold..

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of Valerie's live wreaths.  As I've said before, I always order for the first week of delivery.  Plus, I place my order during CIJ which gives better pricing.  Never been disappointed.  Better than any other wreaths I've seen.  Gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

Just go buy the junk at a craft store and yeah, it'll still be junk, but at least you won't have spent a lot of money on it. 

Respected Contributor

I purchased six of Valerie's fresh balsam wreaths to be drop shipped to various friends and family around the country.  Some of the recipients shared pictures of the wreaths they received.  All were lush and fresh.  I ordered them to be delivered Thanksgiving week and all but one were delivered on time.  The other one was delayed about three days for some unknown reason.  This is the second year I've sent the wreaths and have been very pleased both years.

I didn't buy any new decor this year, but I'm using garland from Valerie that I purchased several years ago.  It has so many different textures and decorations that I don't need to add anything to it for it to look good.  It is not pre-lit, so sometimes I'll add some lights, but I didn't this year.  

I agree that some items have quality control problems, but overall, I've been pleased with the decor I've purchased from the VPH brand.  Certainly, I've returned some items in years past if they had defects, but QVC has always given me full credit for those items except for one weird experience with a Luminara lantern.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have mixed reviews on Valerie's items.  Have been buying her items for as many years as she has been on the Q.

I have many of her products around the house. Several items are definitely worth the money, but I have had several that were a waste!! 

I think her items from previous years are so much better

-- looking, lasting and quality material.  

Honored Contributor

I only purchased two items from Valerie this year and both had defects and/or were damaged.

I had to return two of Valerie's large red trucks, one with a hole punched into the door, the other a large dent in the hood.  The way the trucks were packed and with no holes in the box or punched in cardboard, I believe the trucks were damaged before they were placed in the boxes.

The other item was a sleigh and reindeer.  Both came with dents in their noses, one with a dent in the sleigh.  Again, from the appearance of the boxes and how they were packed, I think they were placed in the box this way by the manufacturer.  The replacement arrived with dents in the noses.  

I think it's a widespread Chinese manufacturing problem, companies lacking quality control.  

I came to the conclusion, QVC buys from these manufacturers and suppliers because China pretty much has a monopoly on manufacturing.  If QVC didn't, they wouldn't have products to sell.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I was just looking through what is left of Valerie's Holiday items and so many have such bad reviews. Most were problems with things not lighting up at all or just quit working after a short time. Then so much came broken...

I see her last batch of fresh balsam wreaths are coming after Christmas now.

I like Valerie and I feel bad with the issues she is having this year...

@Nataliesgramma 

I just wonder where is her quality control ..... this has been going on for a bit, long before the pandemic....

I was about to write her on her Facebook Page, but I saw someone beat me to it regarding that 3ft Pre-Lit Snow Kissed Twinkling Tree that I paid a pretty penny for which now all the lights stopped working except for a few at the very top of the tree.... This was only the second year of that tree....And as for this year's Berry and Pine Cone Tree the reviews are even worse...less lights, glitter blizzards, and non-working lights.....

Oh, Ive received a few nice things from Valerie's Collection over the years---the nativity set, the angel pedestals, mecury glass pedestals and some garlands, faux wreaths, candle rings, pumpkins....But Ive also returned glass hurricanes with embossed finger and thumb prints, ornaments with glue all over and paint missing, rabbits with missing ears....  Its really gotten hit or miss....But Im really angry that a 3 ft tree that cost that much ($103) only lasted one season....I can see that if I had bought a $20 one from Target, Walmart, The Dollar Store.....And Im not the only one that experienced poor quality with this same tree....

Yes, it appears to be a problem with manufacturers, HOWEVER, Ive heard vendors say on air, and its also in their website and in business journal interviews how strict QVC is regarding quality----so where's Q's quality control???  And again this happened before the pandemic .....How does Martha Stewart's lines seem to have better quality control??????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Over the years, I've bought a lot of VPH items. Honestly, they were much better quality, many years ago. I've sent back quite a few things the last few years, and have pretty much stopped buying her items at all anymore, except for the occasional lantern. 

When it comes to lighted items, I look closely before buying and have to love the item just as much unlit as I do lit. If I can't see it being used and loved when the lights fail, I pass on it. 

I used to receive her live wreaths for a gift each year from my mom. I loved them and they were very full and beautiful each year but one, and they sent a replacement for it right away. 

I noticed people complaining about them not shipping on time. QVC has been awful for the last few years with over selling many items then not being able to fill orders, but this year has been just terrible. I've had issues all year, and with many things never coming, being cancelled, being delayed etc. 

I honestly don't think they can keep this kind of service happening and stay in business. 

We'll see after covid if it gets better. I is going to have to if they want to stay on top. Hope the get it together. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I agree with you about Valerie's earlier items being of better quality. As far as shipping goes, it does seem to be a QVC wide problem. But it is also a problem with all retailers these days. I ordered Christmas and winter clothing for some of my grandchildren, and they are coming in by dribs and drabs. Even "guaranteed shipping" items from eBay are late.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The quality of her items do not seem to be what they were in the past.

I have things that I purchased years ago from Val that are still going strong and have tossed items that are 1 or 2 years old because they fell apart or stopped working.

I stopped purchasing the live wreaths years ago when I found them at a tree stand for less than half the price.

This year I had 1 purchase form Val..her Christmas boxes and they are so cute. I have 2 sets stacked under my tree and will use the other 2 sets for gifts.

I guess you have to pick and choose things that are worth the price.

Set of 5 Nesting Gift Boxes with Ribbon and Tag - H224315