Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift you ever got.....

Why is it that every year someone repeatedly starts this thread? Why do you all insist on reliving a bad experience. LET IT GO ALREADY.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Why is it that every year someone repeatedly starts this thread? Why do you all insist on reliving a bad experience. LET IT GO ALREADY.

@151949  I don't recall seeing this subject before, and I've enjoyed sharing my story and reading those of others.  i don't think it is necessary to deprecate anyone for starting what was, up until now, a civil, enjoyable discussion.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Then why did you open it?? You just love to chastise people. Give it up.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my goodness, there are some sad responses here!  Big hugs to you @kootie!!  I think I would have said to that boy, now let's see how you look in the mirror, and broke it over the little monster's head.  Smiley Mad

@Desertdi - Wow, I can't believe someone actually took the time to do that!  Lots-o crazies out there...

Ok, so let me inject some levity here.  I think regifting mishaps are the funniest thing ever!  One Christmas I received a bottle of liqueur.  Nothing wrong with that, right?!  When I got it home, I found one of those sticky xmas to/from cards on the bottom.  Well, my name is Alison.  The card said - To: Linda and Pablo, From: Humberto.  We laughed until we cried.  I sent Linda a thank you text the next day with a photo of the card, saying thank Mr. Humberrrrrto for me too!  We still crack up about it to this day.  Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@INDIANA BONES  'anything given from the heart' - there's the operative phrase.  Someone, anyone who goes to a store to just grab anything and shove it in a plastic bag and hand to a loved one is truly nothing given from the heart.  It's a 'why bother' in my book.

Amen to this statement. Brilliantly spoken.  A hand picked flower  (that is free) is always a well loved gift to a person that loves flowers.  It is not the price but the love behind the gift.  Trust me, I never thought I would wear a pink dress shirt until a kind person gave me one at work for a gift.  I had many compliments on how great I looked in pink.  I went to work in fear of being laughed at and came home with a "swollen head"  ROFL

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Or, 151949, you could have let it go. 

Super Contributor

I cannot recall any bad gifts received, but I'm sure there were more than a few.  A friend of mine, however, received a stale, outdated box of 99 cent chocolate covered cherries as a Christmas gift one year from the guy she was dating.  Talk about making a person feel worthless!  Thankfully, after several years of mistreatment like this, she finally wised up enough to dump him.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Super Contributor

Many years ago I worked my behind off for a particular boss for about three years.  Each Christmas he gave me a small basket of bath stuff with the price still attached and prominently displayed.  I can also remember one year someone gave my poor brother-in-law a large telephone.  No one ever figured that one out.

Trusted Contributor

One year, my sister bought me a pair of pajammas.  Written across the front of the shirt:  "Sleeps well with others."