Trusted Contributor

Re: Who's started their Christmas shopping?

Me!  I like to shop all year long, but I am already planning for sales this fall which will be Merry Christmas to me!!!

Honored Contributor

I started the day after Christmas last year. Other than stocking stuffers and a few games for my youngest, I'm all done. : )

Trusted Contributor

Please, isn’t it bad enough we are bombarded with this every day after Halloween?  I am so glad our family does not exchange gifts anymore.  We give to charity instead.  All this buying, buying, buying was just getting ridiculous.  How much junk does a person need?The holiday is more enjoyable without having to worry about shopping.

Respected Contributor

I found two more perfect gifts this week at a great price. Sure makes me feel good.

Valued Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Please, isn’t it bad enough we are bombarded with this every day after Halloween?  I am so glad our family does not exchange gifts anymore.  We give to charity instead.  All this buying, buying, buying was just getting ridiculous.  How much junk does a person need?The holiday is more enjoyable without having to worry about shopping.

@Jinlei  You came to the holiday forum to complain about a holiday, tell everyone here they’re bad people for preparing for that holiday, then announce that you’re a better person because you give to charity. I’m glad you give to charity, but please do the world a favor and don’t ever go to a children’s hospital to cheer up the patients.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

In my past life, I would be into full swing Christmas shopping by now. These days, no one wants to exchange any longer. Last year I purchased just two small things for my two cousins, and two small things for my son. 

I hate that we are no longer gifting at the holiday, as I love to shop for my family, and I always had great ideas and gave great gifts. Everyone wanted to do away with the expense, and many of us have more than we need (enough that it has actually become a burden) so I begrudgingly went along with everyone's wishes. 

Gotta say, I miss the planning and the thrill of the hunt for the perfect gifts.

@Mominohio  This reply has been weighing on my mind for a few weeks now, and I just didn't know what to think about it. Even though we have different gift buying requirements, we both have the desire to give gifts at Christmas. After all, the Holiday is about the ultimate gift, and it is natural for us to want to spread our love in the form of gifts.If we don't have someone to give a gift to, we feel unfulfilled. I find myself giving gifts to everyone at work, and buying gifts for my DD to use for teacher gifts, etc. You know what? Is there a shelter in town, or something similar, that you could create gifts for? Perhaps a retirement home that has residents who don't have family.? I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I am seeing in you a very big heart that wants to share Christmas. I think we need to go and find it.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

In my past life, I would be into full swing Christmas shopping by now. These days, no one wants to exchange any longer. Last year I purchased just two small things for my two cousins, and two small things for my son. 

I hate that we are no longer gifting at the holiday, as I love to shop for my family, and I always had great ideas and gave great gifts. Everyone wanted to do away with the expense, and many of us have more than we need (enough that it has actually become a burden) so I begrudgingly went along with everyone's wishes. 

Gotta say, I miss the planning and the thrill of the hunt for the perfect gifts.

@Mominohio  This reply has been weighing on my mind for a few weeks now, and I just didn't know what to think about it. Even though we have different gift buying requirements, we both have the desire to give gifts at Christmas. After all, the Holiday is about the ultimate gift, and it is natural for us to want to spread our love in the form of gifts.If we don't have someone to give a gift to, we feel unfulfilled. I find myself giving gifts to everyone at work, and buying gifts for my DD to use for teacher gifts, etc. You know what? Is there a shelter in town, or something similar, that you could create gifts for? Perhaps a retirement home that has residents who don't have family.? I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, but I am seeing in you a very big heart that wants to share Christmas. I think we need to go and find it.

@PA Mom-mom 

Good ideas. And we have always done various community gifting things with church, school, and local agencies. It is fun and gratifying, but just not the same as shopping for those you know and love. 

I've always read here, people who reached the point in their lives where all (most) of the gift exchanging stopped, and they were so happy and relieved. I guess I'm just the opposite. 

I don't want any of us to overspend, be over burdened by the work, but I think it is very important for us to give to each other in our small family circle. It isn't about money or things, it's for me, about knowing who each person is, what they love, want or need, and making it happen for them. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, but it should show a lot of love and thought and insight.

We have never been ones to give generic gifts, just to give something. I think many people have always fallen into that trap. Just buying things because they needed to meet a gifting requirement, and that is one reason they loose interest in doing it anymore.

It's just not something I'm going to willingly embrace. I will go along to get along, and I won't make an issue of it, but I will never like it. It is what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I totally agree about giving something meaningful. I try to write things down on the back of my calendar when I hear something mentioned during the course of the year. Giving that needed or fitting gift is so much better than receiving!

Esteemed Contributor

Not me!! I’m thinking Summer all the way!! Christmas shopping won’t be on my radar until after Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

I hesitate to buy gifts this early, especially for the younger ones, as their wish list is a constantly moving target. I do collect stocking stuffers year round.