Honored Contributor

Re: Who's started their Christmas shopping?

Last year I found some great gifts when I wasn't looking for them but it worked out well. I usually don't do that. I wait until around the holidays. I don't have much to buy.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh   I have not this year but have in the past. I know my few gift recipients well, so to the people that don’t buy “random” gifts I do buy it if I find a great sale or something I know they like/use/appreciate.  I do try to pick up some things after Christmas also for the next year (Christmas decor/cards/wrapping paper/bags many times at 60/70% off).  Although as a family we are buying less “stuff”. I still want something to open for everyone.  It usually practical items. We don’t just buy to buy.  Radley London bags.....very nice!  I hope you are feeling better too.  I also catch a few Vera Bradley sales with deep discounts. Mostly accessories or travel items which many of us like.  

Esteemed Contributor

I 'buy' year round.  Am always looking for great items, sales and free shipping!!  I keep a list on my computer to keep track of presents.

Honored Contributor

I am DREADING Xmas in July....

Honored Contributor

I think I've bought three gifts  so far.  I buy as I see things.   (especially on sale)  I have made my list of who I buy for and also noted some ideas for gifts.  

Respected Contributor

Nothing wrong with buying ahead so many times in a store I see something that reminds me of that person so I get it. DH &I stopped exchanging (I think) we usually get what we want all year especially if it is on sale. I got a robot vacuum & he got himself a newKruig coffee maker but we really only buy for my DD & her finance and they will be sure to tell me what they want. She will say something I need this or that usually something small so I will get it & save it for Christmas. Once I pre bought stocking stuffers had too much for the stocking so boxed it up wrapped it and DD said Oh I really need this or that she forgot she told me things during the year she needed for the condo. I don't buy clothes just give a gift card. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

After so many years of Christmas exchanging, several years ago our family decided to stop exchanging to adults and just give two kids in the family gifts, my GC.  What a relief!  Everyone has so much stuff anyway.

I do enjoy gifting for no occasion during the year.  And with my two dearest friends, too.  Someone here mentioned polar fleece sheets - one year I bought everyone sheets in the fall.  What a hit they were.

For our GC for Christmas - boy 11, girl 6, I don’t buy until very late fall, getting suggestions from DS and DIL.  Last year GD got an American Girl doll, and I bought clothes, furniture, from Etsy.  Oh my!  I have always loved dolls and DH said “I don’t know who will be the most excited with this doll - you or her.”

I do enjoy poking around on Etsy for stuff.

Honored Contributor

Not intentionally and I am not even calling them Christmas presents.  It's way to early for that.  I have a few gifts in the closet that will probably be Christmas presents for someone.  Yes, I do have gift closet.  I bought 2 Iman&Joy leather handbags and I bought a hat/scarf/gloves set.  I also have two American Express gift cards that were given to me at Christmas that I will re-gift.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh 

No comments about your shopping, but have you tried Imitrex for your migraines?

I did the clinical trials on it and, evenutally, used the injections for years.

It helped.

Valued Contributor

I’ve already picked up a few items that I’ve put in storage. I always keep my eye out for gifts that I think certain people in my life would enjoy. Not only does this practice save me time later in the year, but it keeps me from buying meaningless items when the holidays approach. If I can get all my decorations up and presents wrapped during the week after Thanksgiving, I can relax and enjoy the holidays doing things I enjoy rather than doing things that are expected.