Honored Contributor

Re: Who is cooking, who is going out for Thanksgiving?

I think I will have noodles and turkey gravy.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'm cooking, but we've done the restaurant Thanksgiving, and I didn't mind it at all. I did have homemade dessert though.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@Marsha2003  What's a Friendsgiving?  

Trusted Contributor

This year we're doing the ordering from a local market again.  We've ordered Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners from this market before, and it was very good.  And they have delicious desserts too, so I can get a pie and maybe a carrot cake when I go on Wednesday to pick everything up.  Times sure have changed, haven't they!  Wonder what my grandmothers would think of picking up your holiday dinners!

Honored Contributor

Going to my sister in laws like we do every year.  At Christmas they come to us.

My mom down in Florida is going out with a friend.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Small family  here.    I don't cook much, but I love the leftovers so I can't eat out.

Getting a smoked turkey breast from the Elks Lodge--- their fundraiser.

A few sides, couple of pies and good to go.

Off for FOUR days!!!

Honored Contributor

I am cooking for my immediate family, and we have invited our daughters boyfriends to join us.   

There will be plenty of food, but I am not cooking a huge meal—only turkey breasts, dressing (which I made today), gravy, cranberry sauce, and rolls.   Trucker daughter asked for deviled eggs as her boyfriend loves them, so I will accommodate her request, but I am not preparing a lot of sides that no one intends to eat.   

Honored Contributor

I'm cooking, but I plan to take a lot of shortcuts, ha.  Son has requested ham instead of turkey, so tentative menu--  brown sugar ham, potatoes au gratin, stuffing (why not? Found a recipe for a vegan or vegetarian stuffiing, of all things, might be fun to try), green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, etc.  I love relish trays, so I'm building one around some feta stuffed olives I stumbled on in the store.

The fire hall in town is having a fundraiser Wednesday with home-made pies, so I'm all set for pumpkin pie, as per hubby's desire.  Then will make ginger bread cake--from a box-- and make caramel sauce for that.  Found a good looking frozen fruit tart in shell so that will be a "lighter" dessert to serve.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, pleasant holiday, whatever you end up doing or eating on that day!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

I am having a tooth pulled Tues. & may stay home. My son & I had a HUGE argument last wk. & things are still tense. At least my tooth will give me an excuse to stay home, if necessary. My heart is hurting. 

@TX-starlight

I totally understand.

I don't think anyone can hurt our heart quiet as deeply as a son can. 

And I think sometimes staying away and letting things cool down is smart. I've come to the realization that my son and I are just not going to see eye to eye on some things in life, and he is at an age where he knows everything, so rather than strain relationships, it's best to simply give them their space and let them figure things out the hard way sometimes. 

I hope you have little discomfort from the tooth, as you are dealing with enough already. 

Honored Contributor

my mom and i are doing most of the major cooking. prepping has already begun.

my daughters are helping out by doing a dessert, some appetizers, and the cranberry sauce. some of their work is already done.

i have ordered a few things from our local small grocery store that has excellent items......croissants, fresh breads, a cookie tray, a veggie tray, and some hand carved ham.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein