Honored Contributor

Re: White Elephant gift suggestions, please.

I would not do the home made goods because every holiday season that subject comes and it seems a good many people (maybe the majority?) don't want baked goods because:

1. They don't know who made them

2. They are people who don't eat nuts, gluten, dairy, carbs, sugar, wheat harvested on Tuesday or whatever now days.

3. They say they have too many extra calories and don't want or need extra food.

4. They admit they throw this out which seems to enrage a lot of people because if you are given something to eat that was made by them then you MUST eat it or it is the greatest affront in the universe that you would waste their time, effort, love and care that went into this gift.  You'd darned well better eat this or unfriend them forever. 

No matter that had they asked if you wanted it you would have either lied because of the look on their face or politely said you didn't want it then been vilified for that. . . 

I didn't make this up folks.  I am just offering a summary of what's usually to come during the holidays!  Don't "unfriend" the mesenger!  Woman Embarassed  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

this is supposed to be just a fun game.  lot's of laughs.  not about some valuable gift.

The game derives its name from the term white elephant as defined by something of dubious or limited value or an object no longer of value to its owner but of value to others. 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat,  I always like to suggest the Smithsonian Store, the Met Store (Metropolitan Museum of Art), Signals dot com online catalog, and the daily updates on Brad's Deals.    I subscribe to their emails and often see special offers on their websites or just some interesting and unusual items I'd never thought about.   Some of their products can be pricey but they also do have some unique and inexpensive ones and if nothing else they can pique creative ideas.   Happy shopping!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would not do the home made goods because every holiday season that subject comes and it seems a good many people (maybe the majority?) don't want baked goods because:

1. They don't know who made them

2. They are people who don't eat nuts, gluten, dairy, carbs, sugar, wheat harvested on Tuesday or whatever now days.

3. They say they have too many extra calories and don't want or need extra food.

4. They admit they throw this out which seems to enrage a lot of people because if you are given something to eat that was made by them then you MUST eat it or it is the greatest affront in the universe that you would waste their time, effort, love and care that went into this gift.  You'd darned well better eat this or unfriend them forever. 

No matter that had they asked if you wanted it you would have either lied because of the look on their face or politely said you didn't want it then been vilified for that. . . 

I didn't make this up folks.  I am just offering a summary of what's usually to come during the holidays!  Don't "unfriend" the mesenger!  Woman Embarassed  Woman Wink

@Sooner  You ROCK!  I have horrid food allergies and have been called food hater on numerous occasions.  If someone is so kind as to bake me something, I bring it into work and share it with the locust, I mean coworkers.  They love it, the food gets devoured...win, win.  I don't dare eat anything unless I know what is in it - it's not worth the trip to the ER.

Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@house_cat,  I always like to suggest the Smithsonian Store, the Met Store (Metropolitan Museum of Art), Signals dot com online catalog, and the daily updates on Brad's Deals.    I subscribe to their emails and often see special offers on their websites or just some interesting and unusual items I'd never thought about.   Some of their products can be pricey but they also do have some unique and inexpensive ones and if nothing else they can pique creative ideas.   Happy shopping!❤️

@dooBdoo I absolutely love the stores you mentioned!  Fabulous idea.  Thank YOU for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the ideas, opinions and even the links to the game rules... all helpful.

I really like the idea of the lottery tickets. I think I'll buy funny or amusing gifts, and add scratch-off tickets so perhaps someone will actually wind up with something of value.  We have a Cost-Plus World Market just a short walk from my house. It's one of my favorite places to "waste" time. They have all sorts of imported treats and toys and nostalgic things that I think will be a hit.

The "kids" are all getting gift cards in their stockings and my brother and SIL have a lot more money than I do, so that would be kind of silly.

I'm surprised that so many of you think it's a bad idea or not a fun activity. I've participated many times, and although I've never come away with anything of value, it's always a lot of fun.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Check out The Container Store. They have a bunch of stocking stuffers for every age. 

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo I absolutely love the stores you mentioned!  Fabulous idea.  Thank YOU for sharing.

You're welcome, @Misplaced Parisian!   I love them, too.    Sometimes what I see on the Smithsonian and the Met email messages and website are purely "wishes and dreams" territory...  but a gal can dream!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

You're welcome, @Misplaced Parisian!   I love them, too.    Sometimes what I see on the Smithsonian and the Met email messages and website are purely "wishes and dreams" territory...  but a gal can dream!😊

@dooBdoo Yes, yes, a gal can dream.  I'm with you on that.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

Hand painted ornaments from Etsy.

Small container of items like Lindt candies.

Travel size grooming products.

(I'd have 3 colors of wrap.  One for men, the other for women, another for children (and do gift cards there).