Honored Contributor

Re: When there is a holiday decor 'fad'...

[ Edited ]

I have a good amount of mercury glass decor pieces.  I love it as I did the first day I got it.  I tire of the design/shape of mercury glass, not the mercury glass itself.  If that's a fad, yes I fell hard for it.  I can't think of anything else I have.  I didn't buy anything red truck.

Honored Contributor

Nope, I'm never tempted by whatever newest fad is in holiday decor.  No red trucks, no owls, no dears for me.  I go with a diferent color story every year.  I did red&gold two years in a row.  I saw a green and gold plaid ribbon in a store recently and that "stuck" in my head.  I'll probably go in that direction this year.  Green/gold/ivory.

Frequent Contributor

I think a fad may open your eyes to something that you may really like whether it stays trendy or not. But to not like something because it's a fad just for the sake of saying you don't follow the fads is just silly. If you like something use it for as long or little as you like. Wjatever helps put you in the spirit!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am not really into the red truck look...although it looks cute in displays....

This year I wanted to change up my family room a bit and I bought some of the Buffalo plaid accessories and wide ribbon for the tree. It seems to be popluar too this year...

I think the only 'fad' I went for was lanterns.....I think I have 8....so far I haven't tired of using them in my decoating...

Honored Contributor

Not really into "fads" in Christmas decorating, but I do like lanterns, but I personally don't think they are a "fad"!

At first I thought the "red truck" decor was rather cute, but I am so sick of seeing it in everything, if there has ever been a "fad" run into the ground, it is the "red truck", enough is enough!

Respected Contributor

I think the red truck decor is cute but I won't buy any of it. It would look out of place in my apartment. Same with the red buffalo plaid. I do like the white/gold/silver winter theme that's been around for a while with snowflakes because that can stay up all winter. I had to replace some of my Christmas decor this year and I bought some things that I don't have to put away after the season is done. 

Honored Contributor

some fads I like and others I don't.  When it comes to fads in clothes, I may indulge but like you only a small amount of it.  Perhaps a scarf in a pattern that is very popular in blouses.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Over the years I have learned what works for me and the style that I like. I enjoy seeing all the new but resist buying unless it will work within my tried and true. With my open floor plan it’s better if the look is cohesive or at least complementary. I guess to be fair, every decor item I have was probably a fad at one time, otherwise it wouldn’t have been for sale. I like to think my fad purchases are now classics! Lol

Honored Contributor

I enjoy some trends, but there has to be variation in order for decorating to work for me. If I'm in doubt about the way to decorate a room I under-decorate.

Honored Contributor

I think the "red truck" deco is cute, and I did buy one last year, it doesn't fit in with my other decor, at all, lol, and I didn't use it. This year it will be either passed on to a grandchild, or donated to charity.
"To each their own, in all things".