Honored Contributor

Re: When is Christmas in july?

@SHOPR wrote:

@lucymo, Good to see you posting.  I haven't seen you around lately.   Just wanted to say hi.

Also, Happy Mother's Day to you and to all our moms. 

@SHOPR  Hi, sorry I haven't been on here lately but dealing with some changes.  But, I'm doing well now and things getting back to some kind of normalcy, whatever that is.

I'm looking forward to all of the chatting during CIJ.  Seems like we all find a way to come back here for that.  I truly don't need to buy anything but I can be tempted by Reindeer, wreaths and garlands.  Valerie will get at least a sale on some of those.  I think our family Christmas will be at one of our daughter's this year so I won't be hosting for the first time ever.  I may still have some friend get togethers though so will have to decorate. Planning on just doing a pencil tree this year, with 'planning' being the key word. Smiley Happy

What have you been doing now that summer activities are going on?  Hope you're enjoying getting outside and playing in the dirt.  I know I am, been stuck inside too long dealing with all of this purging of decor and clothing, etc.  It's so refreshing to get out and start flowers for the season or just sit out near the creek and enjoy the beautiful weather. 

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

I'll be here too!!!

No, its not about a greedy retailer or even buying necessarily. It's the excitement, the ideas, the sharing, the helpful suggestions we get from each other. I have learned so much from reading here. Everyone is so willing to share, to help, to hunt down an item number for someone else etc.

I don't plan (ha!) on buying much/anything either but I get excited for the ideas & I am extremely happy for the other ladies & gents that do buy. We tell stories about how & where we use things, about our friends & family, how happy the kids or grands are with the displays.

I am excited for the other posters.

What can be wrong with that?

@ChiliPepper,  There's nothing wrong with our CIJ.  If it's wrong, I don't want to be right.  LOL.  We can have fun whether we are looking to buy or not.  I'm sure I'll cave on at least one or two items when I see what's offered.  I'll be there.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl  Hi there, not good life changes but I'm doing ok with it.  I'm pretty much able to roll with whatever comes by.

We are doing a little bit of gardening, mostly pots.  We have a lot of daylilies but with the late Spring they aren't blooming yet.  We have quite a few bloom scapes so hopefully it won't be long before we see flowers.  Did you get all of your daylilies in the ground or still in pots?

What have you been buying lately from Zulily?  They have had a lot of stuff that I like but just not buying at the moment.  I did buy some candles for the summer from BBW awhile back.  I'm not a fan of summer scents in candles as much as fall and holiday.  I like to bring in flowers for the scent and beauty too.

I wonder if you and I will cave and buy Reindeer this year.  I have been good but if anything can get me to buy, it's Reindeer.  I can look for the unusual ones as I have enough of the ordinary sizes and styles.  Remind me of this when Valerie shows some of her 'deer'.  lol

@lucymo  I can't imagine my buying more deer, but we will see. Smiley Happy  A deer found a week part of the fence this past week, had to shoo one away yesterday, ate my strawberry flowers, pruned roses, and shrubs, so maddening, so will have a fencing company out for an estimate of repairs, am dreading the cost of that, but I can't have them coming into the garden as just as shrubs grow back the leaves the deer ate, they come back and strip them again.

I buy plants and bulbs from zulily, bought some garden pieces, birds and rabbits, fairy garden items, but not nearly as much as I did a few years ago, pretty much set now.

Once I really get into gardening, as I have been lately, I am not interested in anything but plants, bought quite a few even though I said I would not, from various companies, so am dealing with taking care of those and dividing and potting/planting, almost done with dividing as the weather is warming and plants are growing, so what I didn't do this year, I will do next Spring, and still weeding, neverending.

I am concentrating on the vege and berry garden, planted the seedlings I grew under grow lights in the garage, now will plant them and seeds of others right in the pots.

Some Daylilies have made it into the ground, more this year, but will still be many in pots.  I have decided that the Daylilies that I am not crazy about, I will give away, but have to wait until they bloom, some of them.

I can't believe how fast this year is flying by, so much I thought I would get done, in the house this year will not happen until next year, not happy about that.

Hope you enjoy your summer. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Carol08 wrote:

@MTH wrote:

@SHOPR

@lucymo

Hi All.  Good to see you.  Sorry I haven't stopped by in quite some time but I had to check to see if there was any chit chat on CIJ.  Of course, I should have known there would be....LOL.  I hope you are all well and enjoying some summer weather.  We've had some definite landscape changes in South Florida since Hurricane Irma, but slowly things have gotten cleaned up. Took a long time.  Lucy I hope things are ok on your end.  

Happy Mother' Day to you guys!

@MTH - I lived in Coral Gables during Hurricane Andrew, and know the devastation it caused.  I am glad that things are slowly getting back to normal there.  When I left S. Florida, it still looked like a bomb had hit the area.

@MTH, How wonderful to hear from you.  We were all concerned for your safety during Irma, but someone told us you were safe.  My DGD was in Homestead and her house was damaged beyond being livable without major repairs.  They were away when the storm hit and have now been transferred to an area near Sarasota. They lost most of their home furnishings from water damage.  I saw your description of the storm 'train' sound.  We have been through a tornado and that's the sound this one made too.

On a lighter note, the CIJ will help all of us with the chatting going on.  I'm hoping that it won't be buying for me as I have decided to cut back on the decor.  I have purged a lot of my decor and hoping I will use some imagination and do more with what I kept. I'm still crazy for pretty Reindeer though but used less of what I have last year.

Again, it's great to see you posting again.  Hope your area will all be restored as well as it can be soon.  Just glad you are safe and your home was spared damage.

@lucymo  Hi Lucy. So glad to see you back around. I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough time of things but sounds like you are doing the best that can be done.  Know we were all thinking of you and you were missed.  

Can't complain on my end about the storm. Lots of landscape and fencing damage, but nothing to the house and little by little the yard is coming around.  We consider ourselves very lucky. It was a scary few days but many had it worse, especially Puerto Rico who is still suffering.  

I can't wait for CIJ either.  You are right that everyone seems to find their way back here when CIJ rolls around.  The glue that binds us all together it seems.  I hope we all get reminded of how many reindeer we have when Valerie's shows come around.  I don't know where I'd put another one.  

Valued Contributor

OK, ladies I am so happy to have most everyone back and looking forward to CIJ !

Lord I live on the coast of NC and hurricanes are always a threat!

New life change for me was a new puppy about 9 months ago, German Sheppard puppy that really loves to play.  About 7 weeks ago knocked me down in my kitchen, ceramic tile of course, while playing.  Had to call 911, hospital, broken hip!  Readyto lose this walker

Honored Contributor

@ripka junkie wrote:

OK, ladies I am so happy to have most everyone back and looking forward to CIJ !

Lord I live on the coast of NC and hurricanes are always a threat!

New life change for me was a new puppy about 9 months ago, German Sheppard puppy that really loves to play.  About 7 weeks ago knocked me down in my kitchen, ceramic tile of course, while playing.  Had to call 911, hospital, broken hip!  Readyto lose this walker

@ripka junkie  Oh No!   That must have been very painful, hope you are mending well.

My SIL had a huge Golden and as we arrived, she came out of the house to greet us, the dog was behind her and flipped her onto the ground, scared me.  So, after that dog passed, what did she do but get another large dog, a very young frisky dog, told her she had better think smaller if she ever got another dog, lol.  I used to have large dogs, but as I got older, decided I need a size that I could handle, lift into a sink and car, etc., so now have a ten pound dog and a thirteen pound dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Christmas is not on my radar.It won’t be until Thanksgiving.Right now I’m looking forward to Summer with every fiber of my being.

When I think of July I think of Independence Day barbecues, & the beach 🏖!!

Respected Contributor

If my memory serves me it starts the end of June.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For Christmas in July, I'm hoping to buy one thing and one thing only.

I'm hoping they make a set of little animals to go with the Irish Nativity set.

The first year they offered the Navitiy.  Last year they offered the wise men.  So I'm hoping for animals.

That's it.  I don't want more Christmas decorations, no bags, nothing else.  Christmas turned into too much "hoopla" for me last year and I'm going for a more sedate lead up into the holidays this year.

But I'll certainly watch!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I always look forward to Christmas in July on the Q!  I make sure to block out some time to watch it LIVE and then of course, I record the rest.  I usually buy 1 thing from CIJ each year.  I don't think I bought anything last year, which was a first for me.  Hoping for some great things this time around.  Will definitely be watching and posting then!