Trusted Contributor

Re: When do you start decorating for Christmas?

I have always started the day after Thanksgiving, but when Covid hit, I started doing it a bit earlier.  It just made me happier and more hopeful.

This year I will either start the weekend before Thanksgiving or just wait until Black Friday.  I have to see what kind of mood I'm in.  lol

I think whatever people want to do is fine!  I understand why some want to decorate earlier and why some want to wait until after Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday, so I feel guilty when the turkeys get put away earlier. 🦃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My late mom was born in 1921 and she said when she was a child, they decorated the tree Christmas Eve Day and then they had a big Christmas Eve dinner, followed by midnight mass.  She always thought the custom of decorating the house and tree the day after Thanksgiving was too early.  She'd make us wait until.Dec. 10.  When I had my own home, we started decorating the Thanksgiving weekend and that will never change.  Thanksgiving is huge family holiday for us so having the house decked out for Christmas would be ridiculous.  It would be like having two Christmases.  But I understand why  retailers decorate in October, they need to put us in a shopping mood.

Honored Contributor

1st week of December as pretty as it is decorated I get tired of seeing it after a few weeks.

I'd be happy to just do the outside and put a small tree up.  For sure this year it's just us -- no family surprises this year they are  coming for visit this month and early December..

Honored Contributor

I always start the day after Thankskgiving.  I might start a little bit early this year because it takes me a lot longer to do things now!  Getting all of the boxes out of the garage and lifting and moving everything around, and going up and down the stairs a million times really does me in!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I start Dec 1st.

Honored Contributor

This weekend! Woman Very HappyLove the decorations and tree and makes me happy.Woman Wink Since the pandemic have done decorating sooner. 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Lucylu12 you go all out! No wonder you start so early.

I sure do there is no room in my home that you don't go into and see a bit of the Magic of Christmas. This is includes bedrooms and bathrooms too. I know it's a lot but it make me happy. 

Trusted Contributor

@Starliteshine wrote:

Next week. Our goal is always November 1st but it never happens. Indoor decorating takes about a week to 10 days. We put up three trees and decorate every room but the laundry room. It's a big deal around our house. The entire family helps. Friends have offered to help, which we appreciate but we always tell them no (kindly, of course). It's all about making memories with my kids. 

Nice to hear someone decorates as much as I do. I start Nov 1 also and it takes me about 8 to 10 days. Lol my laundry room gets decorated too. Every room has a bit of Christmas Magic in it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife Growing up it was ALWAYS the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So many of the traditions I've done with my children came from my childhood. We added in traditions from my husband childhood and have to say, we all LOVED celebrating from Thanksgiving through the Epiphany.  

This will be the first year we won't be following tradition as I am working the day before, the day of and the day after Thanksgiving; so is one of my sons. We both have Saturday off so instead of decorating the house, we'll be having Thanksgiving.  The house will have to be done here and there when we have time though doing it in a few hours (I have a system we follow) was the norm on that day. Usually it's a party when we decorate so again, another tradition altered. As long as they're up within that week, I'll be happy; LOVE how the house looks at Christmas!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"