Respected Contributor

Re: When Do Your Christmas Decorations Go Up?

Not sure what/if I'm doing this year...but usually, always after Thanksgiving...I do Harvest, Fall seasonal until then. Then usually 1st week or even 2nd week of December winter seasonal, into Christmas. 

Respected Contributor

Today and all this week.  I enjoy Christmas and put up a lot of decor.  It takes a lot of time to do, and I want many weeks to enjoy it.  And in years past, my family knows that they will see Christmas when they come here for TG, but they all say it puts them in the mood to start decorating for Christmas themselves.  

Esteemed Contributor

Never, ever until after Thanksgiving.  Although this year may not do at all.  Just for me, it seems a bit much.

Super Contributor

We are taking down the outdoor Halloween decorations today and will put up the outdoor lights tomorrow.   The weather forecast is for sunshine and 60 degrees for the next two days, followed by rain, wind, and cold.  Definitely going to hang those Christmas lights while the weather is good, even if I don't turn them on until Thanksgiving.  

Indoors ... again Halloween/fall/harvest is going down today.    Winter and Christmas will probably start going up in the next two weeks.  Again, that's weather dependent.   Dark, rainy days motivate me to put out candles and lights, especially with it getting dark so early now.  

Respected Contributor

I'll put up the trees and decor the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I work on the Friday after, but come Saturday morning, I'm dragging the tree out of storage and spend the entire day listening to Christmas music and decorating the house.  Usually my son arrives during the week and puts the lights on the house.

By New Years Day, I'm tired of the "clutter", and I spend the day semi watching the rose parade and putting it all away.  I guess this year, there probably won't even be a parade which makes me sad. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

To me, Christmas decorations are much too intense to put up now.

Also, we decorate a live tree and couldn't keep it alive until Christmas.  We'll put our decorations out Thanksgiving weekend depending on my work schedule.

Respected Contributor

Right after Thanksgiving.  I live in an association and the front entrance and club house is always decorated for Christmas.  Year after year it always seemed like we were the last association in the area to decorate.  However, in the beginning of October I noticed crews putting the lights in all the trees.  I couldn't believe it.  They're not turned on, haven't been.  But I don't know why so, so early.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since September I've had Harvest decor up.....

I'll put my Christmas stuff up this week (first week of November) ...... Its too much work to have it up for just a couple weeks and I like to enjoy it...JMHO......

I have downsized---

Living room ---my tree

My VPH Nativity on an end table.... 

I'll decorate my coffee table with candles couple of Jim Shore angels, 

Top of Bookcase with Jim Shore Santa & sleigh....bottle brush trees

Garland on Armoire

Dinning room table with VPH Angel pedestals, candles and greenery.....

Kitchen with cardinal and winter theme....and some Jim Shore snowmen....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I'll be alone, throughout TG and CD, except for my trusty canine companion. I have no reason to decorate, except for my VPH tree, which I love. I could leave it up all year, if it wouldn't make me look a tad crazy.  

I will likely set it up before TG. I have ornaments representing those I've lost in the last few years, so it's become not only a holiday display, but a memory tree, as well.

Of course, all my older tree ornaments have a history of love, laughter and a heck of a lot of fun, that I need to reflect on at this time.  

Beautiful memories are golden and help sustain us. It's why we need to work hard to make them.  

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch   Your post made me smile.  All my ornaments tell my life story, and have many memories of loved ones lost.  I think that is why I enjoy my tree so much.  Things from my childhood, favorite travels and vacations and family memories.  I have enough for two trees, but most of the ornaments are very special to me and gives me wonderful memories every holiday.