Trusted Contributor

Re: When Do Your Christmas Decorations Go Up?

My Chistmas decorations go up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I have fall decor now, but will switch my handmade front porch welcome sign from one with pumpkins to one with pilgrims. That will stay in place until I switch it out to one with Santa Claus after TG.

My Christmas lights guy called and said they are starting to hang outdoor lights NOW! Said he's getting requests from people to start early, and since he has so many customers he decided to go ahead. I won't turn them on until after TG but they will be ready. He said that people want some sense of normalcy in this crazy time and the holiday lights provide routine and comfort.

I take down my Christmas decorations on New Years Day usually while watching the Rose Parade. No parade this year, which will be sad.

Respected Contributor

Usually decorate mid November but this year plan to do that this week. I dont decorate alot so it doesnt take long.Woman Happy I think I will wait a couple weeks though, to put my snowman gardent flag out.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually decorate around Dec 15.  my DH is Orthodox Christian and he celebrates on January 7, so I have to leave everything up for at least a week after that.

Honored Contributor

Usually it's always the day after Thanksgiving.

But this year, it'll be the first week of November -- this coming week.  Part of my decision is that I simply want the joy of the decorations up earlier this year -- I need it. 

The 2nd reason is purely practical.  My adult son is out of state for a few weeks so I don't have the luxury to just call him up to bring out the two huge tree boxes for me.  He's driving up tomorrow to vote, and will get the boxes out for me before he drives back out of state.  Since he won't be back until right before Christmas, this is my shot.  

Esteemed Contributor

I put away Halloween last night. Put out my few Thanksgiving/Harvest items too.

I'm not sure about Christmas decorations yet. Next week is suppossed to be unseasonalbly warm, so I want to put some outside lights up.   Not sure about inside yet.

Respected Contributor

I have been dying to hang my tear drop wreath on the door because its so pretty and was going to do it today but it will be back up to 70's this week. I will wait until we get another cold spell. 

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate for Christmas on original Black Friday.  Today I will add the turkey salt/pepper shakers to stove and change the decorative hand towels as well to reflect Thanksgiving 

Respected Contributor

I generally decorate for Christmas and winter on the weekend following Thanksgiving and put the Christmas-specific decorations away some time during the first week of January.  Other cold weather related items like throws and bedding are used until spring.

Regular Contributor

I usually put up my tree and door wreath after Thanksgiving dinner to help digestion.  This year there is a Steeler game that night so my tree will have to wait until Friday.  My mantel will get decorated the second week of December.  

Respected Contributor

I made a winter theme wreath and if I can find my wreath hook I'll put it on the door.