Honored Contributor

Re: What was your childhood Christmas decor like?

@SHOPR  My Reindeer are now 'in process' with an 8-8 EDD.  I think I know that's not going to happen.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@MominohioWoman Sad

We'll all be back in August.

@lucymo  I can't believe that August is next week!

Esteemed Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@SHOPR  My Reindeer are now 'in process' with an 8-8 EDD.  I think I know that's not going to happen.

@lucymo, Maybe you'll get them.  That's better than backorder.  I'm not holding my breath, either.  Mine are still in process and cancellable. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@MominohioWoman Sad

@lucymo  I can't believe that August is next week!

@mousiegirl  I know, summer is almost over.  Kids go back to scool in about three weeks here in town.

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@lucymo, Maybe you'll get them.  That's better than backorder.  I'm not holding my breath, either.  Mine are still in process and cancellable. 

@SHOPR  I wonder why yours haven't shipped.  I placed an order yesterday and it shipped today.  It was a garland if that matters and it shouldn't.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@MominohioWoman Sad

We need to all check in, in a week or so to compare what we got and how we liked everything!

Honored Contributor

My Dad grew up horribly poor and never had a Christmas tree or a present until he married my Mom. Every year he would take weeks to put up a train platform in our living room and then the tree was in the center of the platform. Our presents would be around the bottom of that platform on Christmas morning.Outside he would hang lights around the house. As someone else mentioned - everyone else we knew had pretty much similar simple decor.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Do you all remember when the miniature Christmas lights first came out?  They had the plastic flower-like shells around them and the string was actually a big circle of wire?  Putting them on the tree was an adventure!  Finally, technology improved and they introduced the end to end lights.  Funny that they still put "end to end" on the miniature light strings.

@Buck-i-Nana  My mom/dad would purchase ONLY the "end to end" ones ( I believe they were made by General Electric).....the others were just way too frustrating....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

We had a live tree that went up on the fifteenth of December. Large multi colored lights along with hand made ornaments and some store bought ones that were used every year. Lots of silver tinsel put on the tree one strand at a time. My Dad used snow in a can and stencils and put decorations on the picture window in the living room. He always made a yule log. Sometimes out of wood and sometimes out of a can and plaster of paris. It always had three candles with ribbon looped around the bottom of them. One string of outdoor lights acroos the front of the roof line. A large candle in the middle of a small wreath on the coffee table. Red table cloth with gold poinsettas on it was put on the kitchen table. Candy dish with hard ribbon christmas candy sat in the middle of the table. Then we were ready to celebrate. It only took a few hours to put it all together. 

@Kitlynn

I think the entire Christmas decorating, including the tree, was done in just a couple of hours at our house too, and that was if we moved slowly!

So different than what we do today! 

@Mominohio - I think it took at least an hour back in the day to untangle and check the lights and get them put on the tree even though we were pretty methodical about wrapping the lights neatly after we took down the tree.

It really only takes me a couple of evenings to get my placed decorated inside and out.

Well then, @Buck-i-Nana, since you have it all together, I'll send you an email the day before I start mine, and you can come here and supervise! I need a drill sergeant! LOL

@Mominohio@Buck-i-Nana  And then you can both head on out to my house and give me the fast route to decorate.  It takes me a week before I'm satisified.

@lucymo @Mominohio @Buck-i-Nana  Then you can head my way and help me too....it takes me about a week to get it all "perfect" that's why I start early November---too much work for just couple weeks! I'll provide refreshments Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt @lucymo @Mominohio - I'm game...  I will admit, while I'm putting everything up I'm paying attention and working to get everything "just so" but I'm also one of those people who can't help but tweek throughout the holidays as I notice different things every time I walk into a room or past the trees or mantel.