Respected Contributor

Re: What was your childhood Christmas decor like?

You got me thinking back with this one.  I remember... The tree was usually That aluminum tree that every branch came in its own paper sleeve and you had color coded slots in the "trunk".  I remember when Dad brought home a revolving tree stand with santa and his reindeer leaping around the base we had the color wheel too 'cause you couldn't put lights on the metal tree.   On the  years we got a real tree we would go out at night after my dad got home from work to the tree lot to pick it out.  It always had a few gaps in the branches or rather " Elf Shelfs"  to put our favourite toys or little gifts on.  The Big lights with the tin collar reflectors around them.  Our topper was a tiny angel maybe three inches tall probably came atttched to a gift we got.  One year we couldn't find that angel and Dad cut a star out of cardboard and covered it with wrinkled tin foil.  For a little kid I thought that wrinkly star was SO shiny, reflecting the lights of the tree.  It was the BEST!  Mom made a Christmas Village  with a string of plastic light up cottages with a church at the end to put on the Victrola and she would sprinkle Hersheys holiday kisses  and reeses cups around it.  There was a lot of rearranging and disappearing of candies from around that village I can tell you!  I still have the tablecloth we used onChristmas Day.  White with red ribbons and bells printed around the edges.  

The whole street had candles in the windows and some had lights on the poarch but nothing like the amount of decorating that goes on today.   Back then it was Simple Honest joy.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo

So very sad this is the last night of CIJ. We are having such fun, aren't we?!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucymo

@Mominohio - it has been fun, but it is time.  Besides, there's always the 25th of Aug!  Just watch for the threads screaming about "more Christmas in all this heat" lol

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio @Buck-i-Nana Do you think those new mg finials and trees look lopsided, or is it just the camera angle?  Some of them look a little peculiar to me.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@lucymo

@Mominohio - it has been fun, but it is time.  Besides, there's always the 25th of Aug!  Just watch for the threads screaming about "more Christmas in all this heat" lol

@Buck-i-Nana @lucymo  I missed the first twnty minutes of the show as I thought it began at 6:00 PST.

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp - I just went backward and looked and I can't decide if the finial is wonky or if it's an optical issue with the swirl being different between the finials and the trees.  The one blue finial sure looked like it was leaning forward in some of the shots where it's sitting between 2 silver trees.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Vintage. I remember multi-colored lights, silver icicles, displaying Christmas cards, and decorating sugar cookies and gingerbread men. My brother and I were only 13 months apart and each got 3 gifts. When little sister came along 7 years later, it seems she got more. On Christmas Eve at church we all recieved a bag fillted with candy, nuts, and fruit. Wonderful memories.

Yours was much like mine.  The baby in our family was such a cutie that we all favored her and never gave away the secret of Santa.  

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio @Buck-i-Nana Do you think those new mg finials and trees look lopsided, or is it just the camera angle?  Some of them look a little peculiar to me.

Some of them look wonky to me, but it could be the camera angle. I have recieved finials that were crooked before.

Esteemed Contributor

@RazorSharp, I am seeing some crooked finials and trees, but most are straight.  I think the finials are so pretty!

Honored Contributor

Meager.........it was WW2

♥Surface of the Sun♥