Respected Contributor

Re: What was your childhood Christmas decor like?

Yes it was and actually it is quite pretty and my Mother still loves it. I just have no idea why I chose pink for Christmas as I am a  very traditonal gal when it comes to colors for Christmas! LOL

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

We had a live tree that went up on the fifteenth of December. Large multi colored lights along with hand made ornaments and some store bought ones that were used every year. Lots of silver tinsel put on the tree one strand at a time. My Dad used snow in a can and stencils and put decorations on the picture window in the living room. He always made a yule log. Sometimes out of wood and sometimes out of a can and plaster of paris. It always had three candles with ribbon looped around the bottom of them. One string of outdoor lights acroos the front of the roof line. A large candle in the middle of a small wreath on the coffee table. Red table cloth with gold poinsettas on it was put on the kitchen table. Candy dish with hard ribbon christmas candy sat in the middle of the table. Then we were ready to celebrate. It only took a few hours to put it all together. 

@Kitlynn

I think the entire Christmas decorating, including the tree, was done in just a couple of hours at our house too, and that was if we moved slowly!

So different than what we do today! 

@Mominohio - I think it took at least an hour back in the day to untangle and check the lights and get them put on the tree even though we were pretty methodical about wrapping the lights neatly after we took down the tree.

It really only takes me a couple of evenings to get my placed decorated inside and out.

Respected Contributor

I understand that perfectly!! We are the same way!! LOL

Respected Contributor

Do you all remember when the miniature Christmas lights first came out?  They had the plastic flower-like shells around them and the string was actually a big circle of wire?  Putting them on the tree was an adventure!  Finally, technology improved and they introduced the end to end lights.  Funny that they still put "end to end" on the miniature light strings.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Do you all remember when the miniature Christmas lights first came out?  They had the plastic flower-like shells around them and the string was actually a big circle of wire?  Putting them on the tree was an adventure!  Finally, technology improved and they introduced the end to end lights.  Funny that they still put "end to end" on the miniature light strings.

@Buck-i-Nana, We still have some of the colored plastic flowers.  Somehow they ended up in the tin where extra bulbs and fuses are kept.  I don't remember the circular wires, but I can't imagine that working well.  

Respected Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

I remember plastic sit-around decorations.  Examples:

I still have (and love) three spotted deer like the ones below, but they are in very sad shape, have become brittle, and are breaking. 

@SHOPR, I still have one of these Santa and reindeer plastic things. It seems my family was all about the tacky Christmas decorations. LOL!!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped - I don't think they were tacky.  They were what was available and affordable at the time.  They provided you with wonderful memories which makes them priceless.

Trusted Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana ~ I have a string of those plastic multi-colored flower lights on my mantel right now!  I do the mantel up for each season with little fairies and thought the flowers fit in perfectly.  We got them at an estate sale across the street.  The husband passed away many years ago, then the wife.  Of course, a builder bought the house (a small cape cod that was adorable but needed work), tore it down and built an overpriced monster that sticks out like a sore thumb. The couple that used to live there was so nice ~ every year they would put a small tree in their front window with those big multi-color lights.  I loved looking at that tree at night.  The people that live there now wouldn't acknowledge you if their lives depended on it.  It's so sad and I hate it.  There doesn't seem to be any charm anymore and everything is quick and disposable.  Makes me very sad...

Trusted Contributor

@pupwhipped ~ I bought a few of those reindeer last year from both ebay & etsy.  I have one pink, a couple blue and a couple yellow.  I love them!  Most still have the little bells around their necks!  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

We didn't have a tree for the first 13 years of my life. Mennonites, back then, didn't do much in the way of decorating. We had a cardboard manger scene on the mantle, surrounded by fresh greens. There was a small drop-leaf table in the living room that we decorated with a red tablecloth. That's where we put the presents (we each got one present). At one point Dad let us put electric candles in the windows. That was great! I kept going outside and looking at the house. In my 13th year, the local elementary school Bible club, meeting in our basement, asked if they could put up a Christmas tree there. When they left for Christmas break, I asked Dad if I could put it in my bedroom. The following year we had a tree in the living room, and the rest is history!