Respected Contributor

Re: What to do with the items I am going to put away to make room for my Fall decor.

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@panda1234 ..I allow my self two tubs for fall decor and 2 for summer....Christmas does not count, but I probably have 4 LARGE tubs.  All tubs are stored in the garage except for the breakable/fragile christmas things.

I have an antique cupboard that I store off season collectibles, and decoratve items in...I like to pull out those item to use thru the house during any season and I have easy access.  

I see so many things that I would like to purchase, as DH and I go to several, 4-5,  juried art shows every year...but I don't buy much or I purchase something for a gift.  

I just decided at some point I cannot purchase new unless I let something else go....

@Mom2Dogs   good advice

Honored Contributor

Re: What to do with the items I am going to put away to make room for my Fall decor.

@ECBG    Many years ago I purchased a roughly 3 ft. tall hand made beautiful santa...decked out in the old world santa way, dressed to the hilt, beautiful beard, etc.......it was about $350.00 that many years ago...but I wanted it really bad.  

It was purchased at a juried art show.  Sadly over the years life has taken its toll...I am not sure how many more years santa will be around. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ECBG    Many years ago I purchased a roughly 3 ft. tall hand made beautiful santa...decked out in the old world santa way, dressed to the hilt, beautiful beard, etc.......it was about $350.00 that many years ago...but I wanted it really bad.  

It was purchased at a juried art show.  Sadly over the years life has taken its toll...I am not sure how many more years santa will be around. 

@Mom2Dogs Sweetie, If you're on FB, Look up Attic Fanatics.  Her thingts are above any quality and I collect her items.  She might be of some help.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Does anyone have tips on what they do when it comes to seasonal decorating? Yes, I do have too much stuff....no more pumpkins or rabbits for me. I am trying to use the nonseasonal items in other places in the house and avoid putting it in storage. I also plan a trip to Goodwill to donate some items if I can part with them. 

I put my items in large, heavy duty storage bins and label them.  When I get them out, I go thru it.  If I haven't used it in a while, it gets donated or goes in garage sale.  Where I live, it gets really hot where everything goes in the attic.  So I had to put some of my more vulnerable items in an extra bedroom in the closet downstairs.  I went from a 1500 square foot home that really didn't extend itself to decorating so much to a 7500 square foot home with plenty of space and 3 fireplaces!  I couldn't wait to go all out every year, every holiday with decorating.  But I actually found myself not liking all the clutter, it got to be too much.  Too much stuff, too much work.  Plus, it's not easy for my husband to be lugging those heavy containers up to the attic. 

Honored Contributor

We moved to a bigger house and quit decorating seasonally and I LOVE it!  I have out things I love and that's it.  

We are cutting down from two trees to one this year too.  Now I spend more money on landscaping for year around and housekeeping.  And I have more storage space.  And time.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs Sweetie, If you're on FB, Look up Attic Fanatics.  Her thingts are above any quality and I collect her items.  She might be of some help.

@panda1234OH Sweetie!  Just look at Attic Fanatic's FB (public) page!!!  It will blow you away!! Guarenteed!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I try not to buy anything new that is specifically seasonal, but when I see a cute bunny or a majestic stag with glitter on him, forget it. I just started to put my bunnies and stags in my china cupboard, it really doesn't look that out of place. I did give away a lot of Christmas stuff last fall and I no doubt will go through the decorations I have packed away in boxes and give more away. My husband likes the house decorated especially for the major holidays, so as long as I can do it I will.

Esteemed Contributor

Donate to Purple Heart for our veterans - they will come to your home to pick up.