Trusted Contributor

Re: What to do with the items I am going to put away to make room for my Fall decor.

I broke my "nothing seasonal" rule this year by purchasing the Jim Shore Sleigh and reindeers.  But no regrets, I love the pieces.  Otherwise, if I can't use it year round, I don't buy.  Oh, except for the Jim Shore auto delivery. Smiley Happy

Hubby hung a nice long shelf from the roof of this shop for me and that's where I store my seasonal things.  Although I could really use a She Shed.  Some things don't make it to the shop and I end up storing them in spare bedroom closets.  But no more of that.

Right now I'm in the process of cleaning out all closets, keeping out the Halloween/fall

items.  Come Christmas decorating time, I'm bringing everything out and donating

a lot of things.  I haven't had everything out in a many years. Too much stuff

and time to clean house.

Respected Contributor

Re: What to do with the items I am going to put away to make room for my Fall decor.

@Oznell  I like your idea of getting things that can be used for more than one season. Your suggestion about paring things down to fit into a small bin is too drastic for me right now, maybe next season I will be there. 

Respected Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

I broke my "nothing seasonal" rule this year by purchasing the Jim Shore Sleigh and reindeers.  But no regrets, I love the pieces.  Otherwise, if I can't use it year round, I don't buy.  Oh, except for the Jim Shore auto delivery. Smiley Happy

Hubby hung a nice long shelf from the roof of this shop for me and that's where I store my seasonal things.  Although I could really use a She Shed.  Some things don't make it to the shop and I end up storing them in spare bedroom closets.  But no more of that.

Right now I'm in the process of cleaning out all closets, keeping out the Halloween/fall

items.  Come Christmas decorating time, I'm bringing everything out and donating

a lot of things.  I haven't had everything out in a many years. Too much stuff

and time to clean house.

@yellowrose   Great idea, a She Shed....I need one too.

Respected Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

I place them in a QVC box and put the box in a spare bedroom.

@JYWilliams   I do the same with some of the items. Then, I write on the outside of the box what it is. The problem is I have not kept up with it.

Respected Contributor

Usually, I am trading out one item for another, so I can store the outgoing item in the place where the incoming item was stored.  The exception to the rule is Christmas when I decorate most flat surfaces completely differently from their rest-of-the-year look.  During that four-to-six week period, my home office (extra bedroom) holds a bunch of items.  I also do my gift wrapping there, so I stick a sign saying, "Elf Workshop - Stay Out," to the door.

Respected Contributor

@qshpr89 wrote:

@panda1234  We moved into a bigger house with a dedicated room for my seasonal decor and somehow I now have endless bins of seasonsal stuff.  I'm not sure how it happened - perhaps they multiplied like the wild bunnies outside? Smiley Very Happy  If you do sort your items, I found it easier to sort by season and then by room it is used in (kitchen, living room, etc.).  I also have a bin of general items (bowls, candles, holders, etc.).  Each year as the seasons come up, I go through more stuff and either save it for the garage sale, donate it or try to sell it on-line on Poshmark or etsy.  Good luck with your sorting!

@qshpr89 I envy you having your own room, how nice. I think I would get more out of control than I already am if I knew I had more storage. 

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@panda1234 

I don’t decorate every room in my house for the season: there is little excess because every quarter or so,I go through and donate one item.

When I go to Homegoods, I pick up an item and determine do I want to clean it.  Usually I return it to the shelf.  This makes making a decision simple for me.

Take a look at what you have now and consider the need to pick it up and clean it or its surroundings every week or so.  This may make the decision on its disposition easier.

HTH

That’s a good way to look at it @jlkz . No one likes to clean more than they have to.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

When I take out a bin of seasonal decor, I use that bin to temporarily store things I need to put away to make room for them.  

When I get out my fall things in a week or two I plan to pare down a bit, too....only keeping things I really love, and not feeling the need to have every nook and cranny festooned.

I am finding that having less “stuff” around is calming to me.  I love having pretty seasonal things out..,,but I am going to be a lot more selective going forward.

I have a problem parting with things because I like all of it @alicedee . I guess I really have to get rid of some stuff or it will be the same thing next year. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When I empty a storage bin of seasonal decorations, I put the 'everyday' decorations in that box. Yesterday, I completely organized my large storage bins. Everything (except Christmas which is stored on shelving in the basement storage room) now fits in six boxes in our entry closet (6x3 feet in size).

Valentine/St. Patrick's

Easter/Spring

Patriotic

Fall

Halloween

Thanksgiving

@AuntG  It’s a good feeling to get a big project done like that. You sound very organized which I wish I was better at.

Respected Contributor

For many years I have been a collector of too many things. Now I have to clean out. Actually I have started. Have so much that it is daunting. I collected bears, Byers Choice Carole’s, and Byers Choice Carolers. At the time I thought it was fine. Now I wonder what I was thinking. I have sold some things and gave some away. I will put out my Fall things. Have a container for each season. It is a work in progress. Tomorrow I will be at it again. Told DH he has to clean out his area. He is a saver saying we may need it. Told him when I am done with my things I will start on his. Today is our anniversary so we took a day off.