Honored Contributor

Re: What holiday/winter decor do you collect?

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snicks1 wrote:
I no longer "collect" any particular thing or things. I had previously had massive collections of eagles, ginger jars and nutcrackers. The others who stated how it gets so out of hand due to everyone giving them to you, are so right. Honestly, my collections became so generic due to the influx of "gifts" that I lost my enthusiasm and eventually got rid of all of them. To me, if I am collecting something, each piece needs to be special.

I agree with this sentiment so much.

What tends to happen is that you start to 'collect' something that you love the look of, or you love the way it makes you feel, or you love the memories it brings.

People catch wind of it, and buy you things for your collection, when in fact, you have very specific criteria for what you want. 

I used to collect teddy bears. And I was very particular that they look very old and vintage. I didn't want cutesy, or childish, or dressed bears. I knew exactly what I wanted, and I only wanted a few in a variety of sizes. 

Same with my salt glazed pottery collection. Only really interested in one brand, certain patterns, and certain pieces. People were buying me all kinds of things that I felt didn't 'go' with my collection, and I feel bad when I give or get a gift that while appreciated, misses the mark.

I think most people who collect feel like this. They have only certain colors or sizes, or styles of their item that are of interest to them, and people buying just any piece, can kind of wreck the joy of the collection for you.

@Mominohio  I am lucky, no one gives me anything, lol, I buy what I love.  My problem is letting go of anything because I do love everything. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: What holiday/winter decor do you collect?

Birds and angels. I guess I have a thing for winged creatures. I fit these into whatever else I have going on - garlands, wreaths, mercury glass, other greenery and berries and Candles (real and Luminara). Last 2 years I have added deer to the winged creature collection.