Super Contributor

Re: What holiday/winter decor do you collect?

NUTCRACKERS

Respected Contributor

Byers Choice Carollers. They are old. Used to work in a Christmas store. Loved it! Was a beautiful store. Spent a good part of my paycheck there. I also have some vintage ornaments.

Honored Contributor

I collect Christmas trees. My favorite is a very tall skinny oneWoman Very Happy

Nativity sets

Winter and Christmas snow globes

Angels

Snowmen

Santa Claus

Winter music boxes

Vintage glass ornaments

Honored Contributor

Nativities

Reindeer

Honored Contributor

I have a number of collections, but didn't really have much in the way of holiday decor until the last couple years.  I started my first holiday collection last year.  I can officially say I collect angels.  I think I have 12.  Some light up, some don't.  Most mercury glass, but not all.  I bought 2 this year from zulily, but they were both damaged.  I have 2 picked out at pier 1.  I'm going to ask Santa for them.  I chose angels because I finished chemo last Nov and wanted angels looking over me.  That's the only thing I put on the mantel.

Respected Contributor

Dishes, dishes, dishes...I have several sets of holiday china along with multiple sets of salad plates of different holiday designs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few lighted churches. 

My very favorite Christmas decor are my Swarovski Snowflake ornaments.  My mom bought one for me starting in 1999.  Since she passed, by dad continued that tradition. 

He also bought the Christmas ball with the figurine inside.  That started in, I think, in 2013. 

Now I have enough ornaments to do a whole crystal tree.  I add in glass icicles and some crystal pics - that tree is spectacular.  I can stare at it for hours. 

My mom collected Snow Village houses.  She has probably close to 100 houses.  They're in my basement - I have no idea what to do with them.  Smiley Sad

I have a lot of Christmas decor.  I only buy things I truly love now - it has to be a special and unique piece.  I don't like clutter.  I don't have to have Christmas decor on every surface covering every square inch of space. 

Esteemed Contributor

No one thing in particular, just things that fit into my Early American/Colonial decor.  I have Spode Christmas tree dishes, some Angels, an assortment of snowmen, a collection of assorted Santas I line up on my family room mantel, a couple of Christmas trees, etc.  I guess you could say I love "dummy boards," based on the idea that in olden times wooden figures mimicking people were placed in windows to give the idea to would-be intruders that someone was home.  Of course, that has evolved to describe any figure made to stand with an easel background.  I have a tiny one and a medium size one I painted in my dining room, along with three large and more primitive style ones- a Santa, a snowman, and a Christmas tree.  

Last year ear we purchased a large collection of Dept. 56 buildings from a lady who was downsizing and selling her large collection.  More Victorian and turn of century themes.  It was quite a steal.  So now I have three churches on my kitchen table, a large inn and accessories on a table in my LR, and well as a several tier set-up on my LR hearth.  How crazy are we?  Now married 50 years, should be getting rid of stuff, and just couldn't resist this bargain?  I really think our kids think we've totally flipped out, considering our house already looks like a gift shop.

Trusted Contributor

I collect mercury glass.  Just today, I found this gem at Home Goods.  It's 22 inches tall!

IMG_0069.JPG

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp That snowman is a great find and will fit perfect into your decor! Smiley Happy