Trusted Contributor

Re: What holiday/winter decor do you collect?

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

I collect mercury glass.  Just today, I found this gem at Home Goods.  It's 22 inches tall!

IMG_0069.JPG

Wow! That is a first for me! I've never seen a MG snowman before. Love it! 

Where was Valerie on this one?

@Mominohio You'd think Valerie would have done something like this.  The thing is HUGE.  I only wish he had some arms.  

@RazorSharp

What medium do you think would be good for arms on this? All I can think of is metal. What would you use if you had designed it?

@Mominohio  I would use metal. The top hat is not mercury glass. It's attached separately, so I would use the same material use that.

Honored Contributor

Mostly Nativities - I have many - mostly tree ornaments.But also others - large and small that are all over the house thru the holiday.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Mostly Nativities - I have many - mostly tree ornaments.But also others - large and small that are all over the house thru the holiday.

@151949  I love Nativities too.  I try to put one, even a small one, in each room to remind us of the reason for the season.  I don't have any really expensive ones but pretty and I like them.

Honored Contributor

Same here - some of my nativities are very small and one is large - my DH gave it to me as my Christmas gift one year and it is gorgeous - ceramic , lights up, really pretty.I have a small one that is white porcelin and it lights with a soft blue light. I love that one.

Respected Contributor

@!FitChick! wrote:

I hesitate to say that I collect anything.  20 years ago I was into Moose ( Northern Exposure is one of my favorite shows). When people find out you collect you get themed gifts and more often than not it's not anything you'd pick out.  My in-laws gave me  an 8 piece dinnerware set that had a moose on it.  I had seen the set and passed on it prior to receiving it.  I quietly gave it to my husbands son who was starting out.  Anyway, I like blow mold holiday decorations, but  I only have two.  I also like snowmen, especially a classic Frosty the Snowman, pipe and all.  

Isn't that the truth. Unless it's been pointed out as a wished for item, I do not add to people's collections. 

Honored Contributor

I no longer "collect" any particular thing or things. I had previously had massive collections of eagles, ginger jars and nutcrackers. The others who stated how it gets so out of hand due to everyone giving them to you, are so right. Honestly, my collections became so generic due to the influx of "gifts" that I lost my enthusiasm and eventually got rid of all of them. To me, if I am collecting something, each piece needs to be special.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I no longer "collect" any particular thing or things. I had previously had massive collections of eagles, ginger jars and nutcrackers. The others who stated how it gets so out of hand due to everyone giving them to you, are so right. Honestly, my collections became so generic due to the influx of "gifts" that I lost my enthusiasm and eventually got rid of all of them. To me, if I am collecting something, each piece needs to be special.

I agree with this sentiment so much.

What tends to happen is that you start to 'collect' something that you love the look of, or you love the way it makes you feel, or you love the memories it brings.

People catch wind of it, and buy you things for your collection, when in fact, you have very specific criteria for what you want. 

I used to collect teddy bears. And I was very particular that they look very old and vintage. I didn't want cutesy, or childish, or dressed bears. I knew exactly what I wanted, and I only wanted a few in a variety of sizes. 

Same with my salt glazed pottery collection. Only really interested in one brand, certain patterns, and certain pieces. People were buying me all kinds of things that I felt didn't 'go' with my collection, and I feel bad when I give or get a gift that while appreciated, misses the mark.

I think most people who collect feel like this. They have only certain colors or sizes, or styles of their item that are of interest to them, and people buying just any piece, can kind of wreck the joy of the collection for you.

Trusted Contributor

Besides my reindeer, I still can't help myself when it comes to Jim Shore's santas.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Right now, I focus on reindeer for every theme,  and woodsy themed items.

The Christmas collections I have are:  Gingerbread/candy for the kitchen tree and hutch, Annalee, Jim shore, Dept. 56 Snow Village, birds, Fairy Garden items, Nutcrackers, German wood ornaments, German flocked animal ornaments, glass ornaments, bottlebrush animal ornaments, have a tree just for these, Annalee ornaments for it's own tree, Christmas canvas art mostly Santa with his reindeer,  pillar candle holders, sleighs, flameless candles, Santas on animals and animals bought decades ago by a particular artist, can't remember the name, Angels, mice ornaments and figures, used to have a tree with all mice, and I seem to collect garlands every year.

I have a red room so decorate with red and white, but I think this year it is complete as I can think of no other place in the room to put anything. Smiley Happy

I can't put everything out every year, but get as much as I can out and displayed.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Right now, I focus on reindeer for every theme,  and woodsy themed items.

The Christmas collections I have are:  Gingerbread/candy for the kitchen tree and hutch, Annalee, Jim shore, Dept. 56 Snow Village, birds, Fairy Garden items, Nutcrackers, German wood ornaments, German flocked animal ornaments, glass ornaments, bottlebrush animal ornaments, have a tree just for these, Annalee ornaments for it's own tree, Christmas canvas art mostly Santa with his reindeer,  pillar candle holders, sleighs, flameless candles, Santas on animals and animals bought decades ago by a particular artist, can't remember the name, Angels, mice ornaments and figures, used to have a tree with all mice, and I seem to collect garlands every year.

I have a red room so decorated with red and white, but I think this year it is complete as I can think of no other place in the room to put anything. Smiley Happy

I can't put everything out every year, but get as much as I can out and displayed.

@mousiegirl  YOu go girl.  Sounds like you do a good bit of decorating. I love it and I hope you post lots of pics.