Respected Contributor

Re: What holiday/winter decor do you collect?

@mousiegirl - Thank you so much!  The walls were painted that color when we moved in and since have been changed.  The previous owner didn't keep paint color names either. 

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

Shiny Brite trees.jpg

My Shiny Brite trees

@IlliniGirl88

I have a small collection of Shiny Brites as well, and I love the nostalgic look of them. 

This picture is just beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ wrote:

I collect hand carved wooden Santas - no resin. Over the years have sought them out on my travels. The collection includes Santas from many cultures.

I lost my husband 16 years ago and each year I chose a new glass angel for the tree in his memory.

@shoptheQ

I'd love to see your beautiful Santas! And what a lovely way to remember someone, with a new angel each year. 

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@RazorSharp wrote:

I collect mercury glass.  Just today, I found this gem at Home Goods.  It's 22 inches tall!

IMG_0069.JPG

Wow! That is a first for me! I've never seen a MG snowman before. Love it! 

Where was Valerie on this one?

@Mominohio You'd think Valerie would have done something like this.  The thing is HUGE.  I only wish he had some arms.  

@RazorSharp

What medium do you think would be good for arms on this? All I can think of is metal. What would you use if you had designed it?

Honored Contributor

@Keeper of the koi wrote:

I collect vintage blow molds , have maybe 35.. love the kitchy molds

.Reminds me of childhood in the 60S... Op great topic thanks@ Maryanne

@Keeper of the koi

I have a secret obsession for vintage blow molds too. I don't own any, but I remember them from my childhood, as during the 60's they seemed to be the only thing outside people's houses (except the lights) and I remember my grandfather had a Santa, sleigh and reindeer on his roof made of this when we were very little.

I remember them, as I became an adult, loosing their charm for a couple of decades. But one night, we were driving around a small town near us, looking at lights before Christmas, and we came upon this small yard that had probably 20 or more of these displayed (and only these). There was 40's Christmas music playing on a loud speaker, and I instantly fell back in love with them. 

In this climate, it is hard to find really nice ones as they were used and weathered for so long, but it is so exciting to see a pristine pieces, and on display in somone's yard during the season!

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio  That yard sound perfect, no wonder you liked it. I live in ny so the weather  is tough. I somtimes do some restoration  on the paint.  My sweet  husband surprised me with some last year for anniversary ,  during the year he searched out  other holidays as  well bought me 20 in addition to my christmas ones .  Easter rabbits, several cupids.  several ghosts witches and a pumpkin man! i now have some for almost every  season. They make lovely repros now .  Dont have any yet but saw  more rabbbits that caught my eye!  Maryanne

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  That yard sound perfect, no wonder you liked it. I live in ny so the weather  is tough. I somtimes do some restoration  on the paint.  My sweet  husband surprised me with some last year for anniversary ,  during the year he searched out  other holidays as  well bought me 20 in addition to my christmas ones .  Easter rabbits, several cupids.  several ghosts witches and a pumpkin man! i now have some for almost every  season. They make lovely repros now .  Dont have any yet but saw  more rabbbits that caught my eye!  Maryanne

@Keeper of the koi

I don't recall ever seeing any Easter rabbits. Are they vintage? I'd think they would be so fun!

And I have seen some Halloween pieces, and they really take me back in time too! 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio, The  rabbits  i have  are from the 60s i also have  goant easter eggs too!They do make rabbit repros from old molds if ypu google it. they look really good!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio, The  rabbits  i have  are from the 60s i also have  goant easter eggs too!They do make rabbit repros from old molds if ypu google it. they look really good!

@Keeper of the koi

If you ever have the opportunity, we'd love to see a picture of your collection. I might just die of heart failure or jealously, though! LOL

Valued Contributor

1. @Mominohio, This weekend i will be bringing my christmas ones out.. checking for touch ups. They have a garage to them selves  at our office property.I can get pics then!  very glad you like them as well. i think they are love  or hate items!  gee this  has been fun chatting  about them, !thanks...Maryanne