Honored Contributor

Re: What does your Christmas morning breakfast look like?

Usually a breakfast casserole, some type of pastry/cinnamon rolls, and juice/coffee. It's all made the day prior and popped in the oven before we open gifts.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

No matter the food selection, it always includes champagne, in the form of mimosas, or sometimes a "cham-cham".

This thread is making me hungry for a quiche.  That's a good one for Christmas morning.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We like to have a breakfast casserole Christmas morning. 

While the kids are opening gifts, I'll warm up some cinnamon rolls.

Respected Contributor

It's funny but try as I might I can't remember what we had for Christmas breakfast when we were kids!  These days it's french toast with real maple syrup and a pot of tea.  So easy and good.  I always add a bit of vanilla into the egg wash.  I put a tiny bit in scrambled eggs too.  

Honored Contributor

@Nomore wrote:

@Mominohio. Pressed cider is what I miss from my in-laws, they lived in southeast OH and had cider every year.

About breakfast...I've talked about everyone works holidays, so Christmas Eve I make lots of little tidbits and pick up things from different eating places in the afternoon. Everyone gets to eat party type things before going to work.  Then, Christmas morning, everyone eats the leftovers for breakfast.  My husband comes home from work at 8am, then my daughter goes to work at noon.  

Dinner will be whatever I want to make. 

We have a good Christmas dinner when I know when all three or four of us will be home at the same time.

I know it sounds weird to most, but that is how we adapted to our situation.

@Nomore

I understand the different work schedules. Most people look at TV commercials and movies, and think everyone has those cozy, by the fireplace, all family gathered around holidays, but so many people have to keep things running on the holidays.

My dad was a police officer when I was little, and he did lots of nights and holidays. As we got a little older, he had advanced to the point of getting holidays off, but it was awhile. 

My husband works for UPS, and all the time my son was little, he worked into Christmas Day. He'd get home at maybe 4 or 5 AM, and get to nap before kiddo woke up and wanted to tear into the presents. He often is on call for holidays as well, so while he may not have to actually go in, we can't go away very far in case they call him in. He is a mechanic, and those brown trucks have to stay on the road!

My husband worked for over a decade from 7pm to 3:30 am. It isn't even a standard 3rd shift, but we adapted our lives to it, and actually kind of liked it. He has since been moved to a standard second shift, and I actually dislike it compared to the other. It is all in what you wrap your head around and accept.

Honored Contributor

All adults in the house so it's just coffee and bagels.

Honored Contributor

We have never, ever done a breakfast meal on Christmas Day.  I have also followed my mothers tradition in not cooking, period, on Christmas Day.  We cook in advance and have a fridge full of things that can be reheated when you want something, but we focus on having a very informal, laid back holiday, with as little stress as possible.   My dad insisted on ham at Christmas, and even tho he's been gone 11 years, mom still has ham on Christmas.  She likes to put everything out buffet style, and I usually eat one of her homemade rolls with ham, cranberry salad, and raw vegetables.  Later that evening when we are back home, I will heat and eat whatever non-traditional food I have prepared for us.   My MIL was the only person I ever knew who cooked a meal on Christmas, and it annoyed her greatly that I did not cook a meal for her son and granddaughters on that day (I also worked 11-7 every holiday), and that they would not eat at her house.  She did her best to control all the family from 4 p.m. until at least 7 p.m., on Christmas Day, which we all came to regret, and stopped immediately after she passed.   None of us want formality or structure, on Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

A breakfastcasserole made with ham and eggs in an 8x8 pan so we don't overeat is what I like to make. Normally we drink plain old Hills Bros. cofffee, but at Christmas I'll sometimes get a flavored coffee to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

We have a nice dinner on Christmas Eve with invited guests and presents are opened then (except for what Santa brings). 

Christmas morning is just family.  We have a brunch with smoked salmon quiches, a big platter of candied bacon, large fresh fruit salad, dill toast and sometimes homemade cinnamon rolls (only if I am very ambitious!). 

That is all the cooking done for the day.  Dinner is just soup and sandwiches, etc. 

Trusted Contributor

We have brunch with  French toast casserole or quiche, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, bacon, mimosas or plain juice. We have our big dinner on Christmas Eve, so on Christmas day we have ham or prime rib sandwiches with salad and the fruit from brunch.