Esteemed Contributor

What do you enjoy as a gift?

I love gift cards!  any place any amount .... or coffee, or red wine...

For our family Naughty Santa gift exchange $30 max  on Christmas eve we need two gifts.....

we usually get snacks & beers from Binny's for the young men (always a huge hit!)

for the second gift I'm considering a Huggable Hangers set

what do you like?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you enjoy as a gift?

Jewelry, luxury beauty products, books, art supplies, robes and pajamas, techy electronic gadgets

Honored Contributor

By now at my age (almost 70) I have everything I need or want and if I don't I buy it myself.  That said, my daughter has bought me some nice gifts.

My favorite thing to get is to spend time with my 3 daughters, their families.  Every now and then my oldest daughter treats me to lunch (just the two of us).  Not easy because she has 4 school age children in 4 different schools.  I get "I love you cards from my grandchildren" and my youngest daughter surprised me over labor day weekend.

Those are things I like these days.  Like the Op, I love cards and save every thank you note (my family give them) and every picture.

Honored Contributor

I just thought of something funny.  I have a large extended family.  We don't get together as much as we used to.  However, when we'd get together for Christmas way, way back (no one remembers where it came from), there was this ugly, ugly vase that we started passing around every Christmas.  The receiver had to keep it out in the open for the full year.  Then pass it on to someone else.  This went on for years.  

Then one day my little sister called and said it had been stolen.  Someone had stolen her car and (supposedly) it was in her car (who knows why).  She got the car back but (supposedly) no one ever saw that vase again.  When we get together, we always talk about that vase!

Honored Contributor

I like nice perfume or sports clothing but most of all I just like spending time with my husband and son.I really have spoiled myself with too many body washes,makeup, hair products etc. and now I just love  to be remembered much more than any gift.

Respected Contributor

I also like to receive gift cards and in particular I enjoy getting a gift card to the local movie theater. 

@Annabellethecat66  Your story about the ugly vase brought back memories of when we used to give an ugly lamp (bought at a garage sale with a few extra decorations added) on birthdays. It also mysteriously disappeared after several years. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don't laugh....I am 74....buy anything i want...so i ask for practical stuff...namely toilet paper and those square boxes of kleenex...

Trusted Contributor

I also love gift cards, especially to restaurants. It does not need to be a fancy place or a large dollar amount.  It just feels like a treat to my husband and I when we can use a gift card to help cover the tab.

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

Don't laugh....I am 74....buy anything i want...so i ask for practical stuff...namely toilet paper and those square boxes of kleenex...

THis is so much my Mother!! She is eighty five and she always loves getting paper products, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent and definitely the square boxes of kleenex!! So every year she gets a big box filled with all this kind of stuff along with other presents but this box is always her favorite!!

Honored Contributor

I'm not to fussy when it comes to gifts, I love to know someone cared enough to get me something.

I'm not the biggest fan of gift cards though, unless it is from someplace I really love. Most retail gift cards are a disappointment to me at Christmas, because the stock is depleted, and there won't really be a well stocked store for several months. It's not much of a gift if you can't shop with a lot of choices. I rarely buy gift cards for Christmas for that reason, although I do get them for specific stores for people at other times of the year, when they have lots of choices.

My mom loves restaurant gift cards to be able to go out and relax for a meal, so I usually buy those for her. 

I could get excited about a Q gift card, though.