Honored Contributor

Re: What do you 'collect' that is Christmas oriented?

I also collect anything that is Magi related. I have one king from our Nativity that we had when I ws a kid. The price tatg ia still on the bottom (10 cents).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Christmas oriented collections for me

Angels---

Christmas Cats ---

Snowmen

Radko, Shiny Brite, Old World ornaments and miscellaneous vintage ornaments too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

The only thing I could come close to calling a collection are my Hallmark ornaments. I have Hallmark ornaments dating back to 1976 and have collected quite a few over the years. No specific theme, just ones that caught my eye or represented a special occasion. I don't buy near as many as I used to. In recent years it seems the Christmas charm of them has diminished. Some of the recent offerings seem a little gaudy, silly or cartoonish. Doesn't help that the price of their average ornament has gotten so high. I still buy the cooking/baking themed ornaments and a few others here and there. 

Other than that, I have a decent collection of Santas. When I get the decorations out and line up the Santas in my staging area (the dining table), my daughter refers to them as my "creepy Santa army". 😄

I am enjoying reading about all of your Christmas collections. Makes me look forward to the holidays. 😊

@Maltichonmom17  Hi Labluver---I used to collect Hallmark back in the 70's and I concur they lost their appeal with me too---and the direction Hallmark took them--cartoon characters and super heroes, kids toys, and the rest nothing special---I donated all of them except one......I moved on to other ornament manufacturers.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

I used to collect Santas.  My tree topper is a Victorian Santa.  But I have since stopped that as I was running out of space.  Does it count if I still make sure my Christmas Cards are Santa themed?  I Do collect Icicles.  My family learned the hard way that cats and tinsel don't mix.  I left the house with no tinsel on the tree,  got back home 4 hours later to tinsel on the tree.  Spent the rest of the afternoon picking every last strand Off the tree and STILL girly cat started vomiting.  GRRRR! Yes family mine, This is why I made the no tinsel rule.  Best present I ever got was  a Barium soaked wad of tinsel barf the night before her scheduled surgery!  It Really Truely was.  After that The icicle collecting began.  Twisted wire, drawn glass, spun glass, ceramic, pastic, rolled paper and even pipe cleaner.  I decorate my tree with Icicles, crocheted snowflakes and variious silver paper fans and old mercury glass type ornaments. It's all clear, white and silver and everyone who see it comments on the novelty of it.  Not sure if that's good or bad but I like it!

@candys mine  Glad your kitty was alright--yep tinsel and kitties don't mix!!!  And neither do feathers although less dangerous than tinsel---too much of a temptation to put a feathery owl or other ornament on the tree---

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

The only thing I could come close to calling a collection are my Hallmark ornaments. I have Hallmark ornaments dating back to 1976 and have collected quite a few over the years. No specific theme, just ones that caught my eye or represented a special occasion. I don't buy near as many as I used to. In recent years it seems the Christmas charm of them has diminished. Some of the recent offerings seem a little gaudy, silly or cartoonish. Doesn't help that the price of their average ornament has gotten so high. I still buy the cooking/baking themed ornaments and a few others here and there. 

Other than that, I have a decent collection of Santas. When I get the decorations out and line up the Santas in my staging area (the dining table), my daughter refers to them as my "creepy Santa army". 😄

I am enjoying reading about all of your Christmas collections. Makes me look forward to the holidays. 😊

@Maltichonmom17  Hi Labluver---I used to collect Hallmark back in the 70's and I concur they lost their appeal with me too---and the direction Hallmark took them--cartoon characters and super heroes, kids toys, and the rest nothing special---I donated all of them except one......I moved on to other ornament manufacturers.

@Spurt  @Maltichonmom17

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way about Hallmark ornaments.

I'm actually looking forward to the time when my son has a home of his own, and passing down a great many of his ornaments, as some years we choose Hallmark ones for him, based on his age and interests. I'm certainly not fond of having Buzz Lightyear on my tree anymore, but continue to put him, and others like him on, because I want my kid to have the tradition of it. We didn't always get him a Hallmark, but we have more than enough of them. I have a handful of special (to me) ones from back in the very early 80's that are much more my style, and I won't part with them.

And I too, think they have become so cartoonish. I certainly don't want to insult anyone's taste who still loves and collects them, but I prefer my tree be more rustic/vintage looking, and most of the Hallmark's I see today don't fit that bill any longer.

I'm still considering getting rid of all the boxes this year, but I know I'll cave and keep them.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Spurt  @Maltichonmom17

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way about Hallmark ornaments.

I'm actually looking forward to the time when my son has a home of his own, and passing down a great many of his ornaments, as some years we choose Hallmark ones for him, based on his age and interests. I'm certainly not fond of having Buzz Lightyear on my tree anymore, but continue to put him, and others like him on, because I want my kid to have the tradition of it. We didn't always get him a Hallmark, but we have more than enough of them. I have a handful of special (to me) ones from back in the very early 80's that are much more my style, and I won't part with them.

And I too, think they have become so cartoonish. I certainly don't want to insult anyone's taste who still loves and collects them, but I prefer my tree be more rustic/vintage looking, and most of the Hallmark's I see today don't fit that bill any longer.

I'm still considering getting rid of all the boxes this year, but I know I'll cave and keep them.

@Mominohio  Hi MOMINOHIO!  My tree is vintage and traditional with a variety of different ornaments mostly the mercury glass variety---BUT I also have some whimsical ones (Jim Shore Rudolph ornaments, cute Christmas cats, Christmas mice and snowmen etc etc) -....

I just used to like what Hallmark did before---I had an angel sitting on a swing in between 2 pine trees, a Christmas tree with ornaments and angels flying to the top to place the star, an beautiful reindeer and a couple of cute kitties........But now---it seems it's Barbie, Star Wars, Beetlejuice (really), an assortment of characters from Disney movies---a box of crayons, Star Trek, Caddy Shack, Spiderman.......NO THANKS!!! Maybe it would be different if I had grandchildren or if my neice and nephew didn't live out of state....those that like them GO FOR IT AND ENJOY!, but they are just not for me, just not my style anymore........

Honored Contributor

My only "Christmas" theme collection (believe me, I have had many sorts of collections, lol), was about 30 or so Nutcrackers, of all sizes from maybe 3" to 3' tall. We moved, 15 years ago, from a large home to a somewhat smaller home that doesn't have the areas that are suitable for displaying collections, so nearly all my various collections have been donated, including the Nutcrackers. I find I really don't miss them, I thought I might, but no. In downsizing all of my collections, I gave each grandchild one (their favorite) so they would have something that had always been at 'grandma's house, then just donated the rest, it was actually a "freeing" experience. I am glad to read here that others are still enjoying their collections though.
"To each their own, in all things".