Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you 'collect' that is Christmas oriented?

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

The only thing I could come close to calling a collection are my Hallmark ornaments. I have Hallmark ornaments dating back to 1976 and have collected quite a few over the years. No specific theme, just ones that caught my eye or represented a special occasion. I don't buy near as many as I used to. In recent years it seems the Christmas charm of them has diminished. Some of the recent offerings seem a little gaudy, silly or cartoonish. Doesn't help that the price of their average ornament has gotten so high. I still buy the cooking/baking themed ornaments and a few others here and there. 

Other than that, I have a decent collection of Santas. When I get the decorations out and line up the Santas in my staging area (the dining table), my daughter refers to them as my "creepy Santa army". 😄

I am enjoying reading about all of your Christmas collections. Makes me look forward to the holidays. 😊

@Maltichonmom17

Made me laugh! A 'creepy Santa army'!! Now that is funny! I'd like to see that!

@Mominohio

This is the "Creepy Santa Army" picture that my daughter arranged and posted on her fb page last Christmas. She refers to the big one as General Santa.  I have to say, Morning After Santa is my favorite. 

BTW, I'm a mom in Ohio too. 😊

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

You are all too funny...pounds, a creepy Santa army and a tinsel barf ball all made me grin.

I mostly collect tableware.  I like to set the table a little differently each year so I have several different holiday themed patterns.  We also have a subset of Dept. 56 Original Snow Village called Holiday Lane, but we don't display it every year because of the time it takes to set up and take down.

I love those Swarovski snowflakes.  If I had discovered them back in 1999, I would have collected them, too.  They are beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I collect Dept. 56 Dickens Villages for about 25 yrs. now, I try to buy a new item every year!

Super Contributor

@Maltichonmom17. At least it seems the quality is still there on the Hallmark Lionel train ornaments.   But agreed that alot of them are cartoonish. I forgot that I also used to collect the Waterford yearly ornaments.   They became too heavy for the tree and too hard to find.  I now put them on the dining room chandelier.  Thanks for the Santas picture. I was not expecting them to be so lifelike.

Honored Contributor

I collect handmade Santas and handmade ornaments.

Esteemed Contributor

I collected many Santas and when I moved from our house to a condo, I gave them to my niece as she had a young family.  I also collected Dickens Village pieces but gave them to her also.  So now I collect Christmas ornaments from countries and places I visit for vacations and Hollywood Nutcrackers.  

Trusted Contributor

I have 4 collections. The handpainted Christmas Village that my husband and 5yr old GD painted.  We started buying them in the 70's and DH painted 3 or 4 every year. My GD painted her first in 97 and those  as beautiful as a Grandmother could imagine,if you get my drift.

I also collect small ceramic Santas and Snowmen.

My most important collection is BabyJesus,Mary and Joseph, about 10 or a little more, sometimes sets including wise men,camels,etc. 

I do love Christmas and we will be having our 52nd Christmas married this year.  I still have some plastic decor items from our first and BOY! are they a mess now ,but they still go up and around .            tedEbear

Respected Contributor

My Christmas tree ornaments are my obsession - Old  World Christmas - lost  count a long time ago - probably  somewhere around 150 or more by now. I always say I am not buying any more - ha - that hasn't worked yet!  I will probably need a bigger tree if I keep this up!! I saw this tree in a magazine once and it was filled with the Old World ornaments - I was like "I want my tree to look like that!!".  It does, it is beautiful!! If I do say so myself!!Heart

-Texas Hill Country-
Super Contributor

For many years my DH was the local "Santa". . .he played the part beautifully!  Anyway, our kids always find him a Santa for Christmas; he has quite a collection and we all have fun pointing to our favorite.  I love Christmas music and am slowly collecting a nice amount of holiday CD's.  I also collect children's Christmas books, as a day care provider I read a lot!  I also collect Christmas cookbooks/recipes. . .

Valued Contributor

I have the Lenox Winter Greetings china.  I have plenty of place settings.  Now I am just collecting the more ornate wintertime scenic platters and serving bowls.  I don't know if that counts as a collection though.  Smiley Happy