Super Contributor

What dishes do you use for Thanksgiving dinner?

I have Christmas plates, fine China, everyday plates. I'm only having 4 for Thanksgiving. Does anyone use Christmas? Or should I use my China? But I don't have serving pieces for it. I have three sets of everyday dishes; red, blue, red/black, and plenty of serving dishes. They also go with the Christmas dishes. I guess I have serving bowls for the fine China, I have to dig it out. Yes I have a dish problem but that's for another day! What do you use? Thanks!! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: What dishes do you use for Thanksgiving dinner?

I've always hosted Thanksgivng and Christmas meals with Chinet disposable paper plates.  Sam's Club has plastic silverware that looks just like silverware and is very sturdy and also plastic cups.

Less stress and easy clean up.  More time enjoying family instead of dealing with clean up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have Lenox bone china in a simple white pattern with serving pieces. 

If you want to jazz it up a bit, why not use salad plates or bread plates from either your Christmas or everyday dishes? Place them on top of your dinner plate and see what you think?

I also have a set of Lenox Christmas china but I tend to use them more to serve dessert at the holidays. Saves me from washing dinner china and makes dessert more special 🥰

Respected Contributor

When we started celebrating Thanksgiving with a large group of friends a few years ago, I purchased autumn hued plates from Williams-Sonoma.  The serving dishes were whatever the participants brought because it was always an organized pot luck.  We use the plaid plates and the acorn plates in alternating years.

99C5DA02-1B16-4677-80F2-A1D610C7C2B2.png

Respected Contributor

I only have 8 dinner plates and 8 dessert plates of this pattern that I bought from Mervyn's a zillion years ago, but this is what I'm using for dinner Thursday.  The rest I'll backfill with plain fall colored fiesta dishes.  

IMG_2141.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Everyday, Corelle Country Morning....it's the only set I have now, donated the others.

Respected Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I have Christmas plates, fine China, everyday plates. I'm only having 4 for Thanksgiving. Does anyone use Christmas? Or should I use my China? But I don't have serving pieces for it. I have three sets of everyday dishes; red, blue, red/black, and plenty of serving dishes. They also go with the Christmas dishes. I guess I have serving bowls for the fine China, I have to dig it out. Yes I have a dish problem but that's for another day! What do you use? Thanks!! 

@carlycat as far as serving bowls and platters, I started buying the white pieces that Homegoods sells. They are under $10 and go with everything. I feel the white shows off the food,

Respected Contributor

My daughter and family does Thanksgiving now and I had a set of Currier and Ives that were my aunts who used for Thanksgiving.  She is using those.  I have a set of 4 I kept and gave her the rest.  Lots of pieces to go with.

I gave  her table cloths and napkins and all those things I use to use but passed it down to her.  I do Christmas Eve.    She said I will take what you have.  She is in a new home now, which happens to be right next door.  She has tons of space so she wants some of those things now.  love it.  Easier to move things out when  someone in family wants.  

For Christmas I use paper plates and Christmas mid size Christmas scene plates for snacks and desserts.  More come for Christmas.  

I cut down on dishes and don't have big sets like I use to.  Just don't use them and taking up good space.

Esteemed Contributor

Disposable 🗑 

Esteemed Contributor

We use our finest paper plates from Costco. It's just the two of us and we take them outside by the firepit to eat.