Respected Contributor

What Type of Holiday Shopper are You?

Ok ladies and gents...What kind of Holiday Shopper are you?

#1 -  Are you an online shopper and you have the company ship the gift out for you to the gift recipient?  Do you have it wrapped in their holiday box or their holiday wrapping paper?  Or do you sent it unwrapped, they get it unwrapped in only the box which it was mailed in? 

#2 - Or are you the Online Shopper & you have the company ship it to you first and inspect it and you wrap it up and remail it out via USPS or UPS?

#3 - Do you buy all your gifts online...?  

#4 - Or do you head out to the mall on Black Friday hoping to snag that great deal and just put up with the madness?

# 5 - Or by Black Friday all you gifts are purchased and mailed out?

#6 - Teenage Gifts... Money or Gift Certificates? 

I personally shop ALL Online...I love shopping in the middle of the night.  When I can't sleep, in my robe with my cup of tea...Very Peaceful...And I do like to see the gifts first, so I have them mailed to my home...I inspect them and then wrap them up and Mail them out.  I will have all my shopping done by first week of November and I mail them out before Black Friday.   

So...What do you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: What Type of Holiday Shopper are You?

I prefer shopping for things myself either online or in store. I would never ship to someone without inspecting it first. I would be afraid it might not be up to par.  I hate crowds and craziness so I never go to the stores on Black Friday. I usually start my shopping the first weekend in December.  I don't have too many people to shop for so that works for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Bellabutterfly

I never go out on Black Friday.  I can't handle crowds!  I always think it sounds like fun in a way and if I were much younger and healthier, I'd try it.  But I don't like to shop when it's crowded.  I can't think!!! 

I do some on-line but mostly in person.  I enjoy the hunt!  

I have no presents to buy that need to be sent any where.   I take care of wrapping all my things personally.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm definitely an online shopper.  I can't see wasting my time going to stores, finding a parking space, dealing with rude people, unruly kids and stores with not enough salespeople so you have to wait in lines to get checked out - plus all the extra money spent on things I buy spur of the moment and not to mention eating out as a treat for putting up all the chaos!!

Esteemed Contributor

Last year it was Toys R Us for the 3 yr old granddaughter....money for my daughter and hubby with something they could both use as something to open. I also give cash to the nephews in college and a Chipolte gift card.

Went out with the daughter on Black Friday last year just to see what it was like. I cooked dinner for eveyone that day and we only went shopping AFTER everyone left. We bought towels at J C Penney and I got leather gloves at Macy's. Didn't hit the stores that have the crazies. It wasn't too bad. After 3 hours...we were back home.

Contributor

I am number two but for my teenagers I do hit the stores on black friday.

Esteemed Contributor

I am an online shopper exclusively....I have no desire to do mall shopping...waiting in lines...schleping around trying to decide what to buy....I have most all my gifts bought...I need a few more things for my grandsons....(12 and 15)....I have items shipped to me for inspection...then send them out...(I only have two families to ship to) the rest are all local to me...

Honored Contributor

I don't shop exclusively online. 

I don't have any gifts to ship out.  Everybody is local. 

I never go shopping on Black Friday. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the day I was a big time Black Friday (and even more so 'Day After Christmas') shopper. That ship has sailed. About the only thing I'd fight those crowds for now, would be if someone in my family needed a kidney and you could pick it up only on that day!

No gifts to mail, everyone I buy for is local. 

Shop more online now than ever. Our local mall is a joke, and the nearest good ones are about 70 miles away, in a city where the traffic is a nightmare. I can no longer walk a mall to really shop it anyway, so in general malls are out for me. I used to love them, and spent a great deal of time just looking at a nice mall, but no more.

I frequent lots of small gift shops throughout the year in Ohio's Amish Country, so I tend to shop all year in those more local and smaller venues, and have the gifts bought ahead of the season.

Giving more gift cards to kiddo now that he is grown. I used to give him some money, but quite frankly, I don't approve of his spending/savings habits, so I target the gift cards to things I know he like, and needs (gas cards, Sears for tools etc.)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do all of my holiday shopping on-line or at several Book Fairs at work during the year.  I have 6 grandkids, two kids and their spouses, a dad and two nieces to buy for.  Last year I counted gifts and had 75 under the tree.  I wrapped every one of them with pretty bows, too.  After doing this for the 10 or so years, I'm making some changes this year.  I decided to buy a set of those vinyl holiday bags the Q was selling during their Christmas specials.  Those should help immensely because, let's face it, while the wrapped packages look beautiful under the tree, WOW, does it take a long time to do!  Also, per my husband's instructions that I shouldn't go overboard (because I always do!), I'm really going to TRY to cut back on the number of gifts this year.  I don't have to mail any gifts, so that's not an issue for me.   I do start early in the year and that definitely works best, monetarily speaking.  I also keep a list that shows all of the gifts for each person so I can keep track of what I've bought and for whom.  This list has also helped to check back and be sure I didn't give someone the same thing in previous years.  :-)  Oh, I've done all of my Black Friday shopping on-line - you get just as good a deals or better sometimes!