Respected Contributor

What To Give To A Man/85 Years Old And Alone

[ Edited ]

I feel so bad for him...his 3 grown kids have disappeared and I've been sending him cards and little gifts.. he's alone and gets scared easily at times but  he is such a sweet guy and sent me a card in the mail....

Any ideas on what I could send him for xmas ? Cozy throw, box of food, coupons for taxi (he does not drive), gift card ?.....  He repairs clocks and stuff like that. Just not sure what to get him.

ETA:: His name is Ted.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What To Give To A Man/85 Years Old And Alone

OH @cbrite. That's so sweet and thoughtful of you.  Any of what you mentioned would be ideal especially food.  Stamps are also good. i have a similar situation I'm involved with and it breaks my heart .  I don't know how close you are geographically but if you could make him some meals to freeze.. 

Trusted Contributor

How sweet of you!  I feel so bad for all the seniors who are pushed to the side by their family.  So sad.

You already have some great ideas. Food is always a welcome gift as are cozy/fuzzy items - throw, slippers, robe, etc.   I am sure he would be thrilled with anything you give.

Regular Contributor

How about.........

casseroles in small containers (1 or 2 servings) that he could thaw and microwave;

or if you're not in the mood / have time to cook for him, then a passle of frozen dinners from the store;

magazine / newspaper subscription;

visa card he could use for groceries (living on SS and watch repair probably doesn't make room for a great budget..........)

snuggly blanket;

old movies / radio shows / tv programs on DVD;

radio subscription to Slacker Radio;

what's his favorite beer;

jigsaw puzzles;

coupons for taxi service / yard service / snow service / gutter cleaning / fall rake-up;

gift card from Amazon so he can find whatever frivolous thing he wants

PS   This is a very kind thing you're doing.   Too many old folk are forgotten until their funeral.  Then the kids/relatives come out of the wall.

Honored Contributor

What about the magnetic flashlight QVC has been showing? I also think some homecooked meals for his freezer, some home baked cookies and a cosy throw are nice. I feel so sad when I hear about kids casting their parents aside. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mindy D wrote:

What about the magnetic flashlight QVC has been showing? I also think some homecooked meals for his freezer, some home baked cookies and a cosy throw are nice. I feel so sad when I hear about kids casting their parents aside. 

@Mindy D, great minds think alike.  At the mention of the gentleman being a tinkerer, I thought about the magnetic flashlight or the one with the telescopic handle as a nice gift. I also like the idea of including a homecooked meal with the flashlight. The meal could be something which could be refrigerated in order to be more than one meal.  The throw is a nice idea too. Often we forget that men appreciate warm wrappings for relaxing at home, same as women.  

Whatever gift is given the gesture is thoughful, and no doubt will be greatly appreciated. Shame on those family members who ignore this fine man.  I hate it when adult children have no use for their parents (or grandparents) until it comes time to count what's left in the bank after they die.   

Respected Contributor

@cbrite  -  You're sweet to think of him!  I agree with the frozen homemade meals, or would he like to come over to your home for dinner?  He may want a visit from someone.  Whatever you do, you're kind to remember him, I'm sure he appreciates it! 

Respected Contributor

Does he like to read?  A magazine subscription.

Does he like tea or coffee?  An assortment.

Does he have any dietary restrictions?  Cookies or nuts.

A cozy throw, socks, or various gift cards.

It's so sweet of you to think of him.  Very sad his children aren't in touch with him. 

Honored Contributor

@cbrite

Everyone that posted had great ideas. 

If you live close to Ted, I think the best gift would be you spending time with him. 

I am saddened that his children are not around. 

Honored Contributor

Food.  Especially food that is already prepared and you just need to pop in microwave.  Also a small fruit basket.  Happy Holidays.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength