Honored Contributor

Re: What Did Your Childhood Christmas Tree look Like?

@jubilant 

THANK YOU! For putting up that tree!  That's the only tree I liked from my childhood, (the silver weren't pretty, and the others were smaller with root balls so they could be planted) and it was at one of my grandmother's house!

Those big trees were pretty!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we were very young, I remember a live tree for a few years.  Then one year we had the aluminum tree with the color wheel.  That was one year only, and then we went to an artificial tree, that had the pole with the twisted branch pieces.  

First we used tinsel, had to put it on one piece at a time.  When we went to the artificial tree we finally got gold garland!  Loved!

@PA Mom-mom.  We had a Firestone and an Open Pantry Christmas albums.   Various artists, loved them.  Must have been promotional items.

Contributor

Love this thread! Our family tree was a big artificial one, but my mom always decorated it different every year. She would do themes. One year was peach colored ornaments, one year was more of a Victorian theme. One year she stuck a big fake baby in the middle of the tree with some straw around him to look like the baby Jesus! LOL. I don't know where my mom got all the energy, I just put up a little 5-footer these days.

Respected Contributor

So many memories!  Dad would drive us kids to the garden center after dinner to get a tree.  SO many Trees to choose from!  Once we had wandered through the "Good" trees, Dad would herd us to the cinder block fireplace they had set up and were burning the trimmings of the tree trunks they'd cut off for people when they bought a tree.  It was so special being out at night by the burning fire, Christmas music playing from loud speakers overhead.  We'd sing a song or two then Dad would lead us to the section where the trees that Really wanted to be a familys Special Christmas tree with alll their little tree hearts, but weren't as perfect as the other ones were kept.  THAT'S when the real fun began.  Those trees were lobsided or sparse or wide. and we'd all be coming up with ways to make it pretty.  The ones with holes in the greenery had 'Elf Shelfs"   ( Way before that Tattling little stinker made an apperance!)  Little did we know then that they were the discounted ones!  Dad could really spin a story!

We'd decorate it with those multi colored big lights with the reflectve collars,  the shiny brite ornaments and what all we kids had made and real tinsel strand by srand.   The topper was always a little bisque colored plastic Angel  that wasn't a real topper at all as it was fastened to the tree with a white bread tie.  One year when we couldn't find her,  Dad cut out a cardboard star and covered it with some crinkled up tin foil.  Well,  didn't that tin  foil catch every color of the lights on that tree! 

That was my Da.  Saw the special in Everything.  

Respected Contributor

We always had a green tree. I always decorated it. One year my father came home with a silver tree. Up it went and I decorated it not liking it at all. My father then turned on a strobe light. It changed colors. I was hiding my tears. It was awful 😢. It was a one year tree thankfully.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am Jewish and we didn't celebrate Christmas with a tree in our home.  However every year we went to my aunt & uncle's house who did celebrate and it was a lovely time!

They lived on several acres of heavily wooded land and would cut down their own trees from their property.  I can remember the large multicolored lights and lots of tinsel.  My aunt also had a scene of skaters with a mirror and "snow" under the tree....it was really a wonderful time!

Esteemed Contributor

We always had a real tree, except the year we had the aluminum one.  Occasionally we had tinsel but I remember when my Mom would whip up Ivory Snow with water and we'd apply it to tree like snow.  In addition to regular big bulb colored lights there were bubble lights.  Decorations were the glass balls and glass cardinals with glass tails.  When I graduated from college I immediately went to work in Germany.  Loved the E.German glass ornaments, the Katie Wolf wooden ornaments and some made of cookies ( used them for years, I lacquered them).  I sti all have many of my German ornaments plus inside painted glass ornaments that are Chinese.  My most unusual tree ( 25 years ago) was a wrought iron tree, 5 ft tall that I decorated with hundreds of my ornaments and a tree skirt which I designed and made.

Valued Contributor

Most times we would drive out into the country and whack down a cedar growing along the road. Of course this was a long time ago and the trees grew right along the roads. Really did not belong to anyone. Not very pretty trees and did not  have a Christmas tree scent, but I thought they were beautiful when the  tinsel, big ole lights and Mercury looking balls were on it.

Esteemed Contributor

we always had a real tree ,  a scotch pine ,that was my dads preference as it was a very full tree which he preferred over a Frasier.    We had beautiful ornaments of all kinds even ones that were very old , shiny brite I beileve which I still have  , but still in great condition along with those we made in school .  We put unbreakable on the very bottom so our cat wouldn't break them,  she loved batting them off the tree to play with them.  I can still remember getting up Christmas morning with tons of gifts from Santa under those trees ,  no presents were put under  the tree till Christmas Eve night ........great memories .

Trusted Contributor

My Mom would put up an aluminum tree with blue glass ball ornaments and the color wheel in our living room front window each year the day after Thanksgiving. On Christmas Eve, my Dad would take us out to get a real cut tree that would go in our family room. We decorated that tree before bed (or Midnight Mass when we were a little older). 

This pic reminds me of the tree my Mom would put up.