Respected Contributor

After many years of having fresh Christmas trees, we bought a fake one.  DH had a heck of a time getting the real tree out of the house last year, it was a real struggle.  I decided then we'd look for the faux variety this year.

Last evening we went to Lowes and were lost in the profusion of trees.  Fortunately, DH helped a woman getting a boxed up tree into her cart.  I asked her about the tree she chose and she was very helpful.  She had the same tree before and loved it.  BTW, she has 4 or 5 trees in her home!  It must be an enormous house! 

So, this year we will decorate a hunk of Chinese plastic.  Yes, it really bothers me.  Maybe I'll pick up a small, very small, natural tree too.  🌲🌲

Honored Contributor

We bought a fake tree too this year.  I have mixed feelings about it.

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic

The artificial trees have their plus and minus. Hope your able to enjoy the pluses. I've used one for years because I like to put my tree up pretty early. I don't miss having to string lights etc. And I burn candles to have that evergreen scent. But then there's the whole storage thing. Arg!

I'm sure you'll miss the real thing it's just hard to beat. Sounds like the small tree might be a good idea for you to slowly wean yourself off of the real ones. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I went kicking and screaming into the world of artificial trees, about 15 years ago. 

Nothing is ever going to replace the smell and the feel of a real tree. But I have come to grips with a couple of things. 

First, I can do the tree how and where and when I want. I'm no longer under the restrictions of timing and locations to have a tree that is dying within just so many days. 

I can have different looks in different kinds of artificial trees, that just aren't affordable in real trees. 

The work and the mess of real trees (trudging out to get them, cleaning up just getting them in and in the stand, needles till July in the nooks and crannies of the house, watering it everyday etc.) is now a thing of the past.

I make one investment, and have it for many years to come. Especially when my son was young, I was worried that we might face a Christmas where affording a tree would be a struggle, with all the other expenses that come with that time of year, and it felt good to know we would always have a tree, once an artificial one was purchased. 

So I guess I just looked at all the positives of having one, and pretty soon, I got over the loss of the real. 

And like you said, you can ease your way into the whole thing, by getting a small real tree for a year or so, to ease the transition. We did that for several years, a very small (like 4 foot) that we would go and cut, for the family room. I still miss that, but allergies put a stop to it. 

Honored Contributor

Like you @this is my nic, it gets harder and harder to get our trees outside. But it sounds like you found a nice alternative - and one that was recommended too!

I'm about the only one of my friends left who gets real trees. My closest friend pulls her out, shakes it, and it's up - with lights. They really have come a long way and look so realistic. Sometimes I wish I could do that too. The fun decorating times we always had have turned into "we have to do the tree tonight." I wish our children were still young and so excited to do this! 

But I will always have real ones as long as I can - my grandparents had a Christmas tree farm. I remember following my one uncle who was in graduate school (he majored in forestry) around during the summer when I was 10 or so while he checked out some of them. Then later, as a teenager, drooling over the college boys who came to help! I also remember celebrating my birthday in December and having to wait to open my presents until everyone was there!  My mother loved helping and loved the Christmas season.

So the trees and I have a special connection! After January 6 they go out back to spend the winter as a food source/resting place for the birds. DH feeds them well! The kitties enjoy sitting inside and watching the birds play there! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We haven't had a real tree in 25 years.  I do NOT miss them:  spilled water, needles everywhere, dust and pollen carried in, dying half way through the season, impossible to get a really big one home, tilting in the stand, falling over, scratching up hands, having to string lights, etc. etc.

Nope, don't miss the a bit.  We have a big artificial tree and it is beautiful! 

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic

Feeling your pain.

You saved a tree... that's a good thing.

Honored Contributor

Enjoy that "hunk of plastic"....the christmas spirit isn't defined by the tree, but I know what you mean.  I've been a holdout but every year i think about it.  Bringing in a small real tree or fresh wreath on the door may lift your spirits.

Respected Contributor

Living in a mid-rise condo it is not easy to have a real tree.  In fact, even though management cannot tell a resident not to have one, it is frowned upon.  There is always the fear that someone may not pay attention to how dry their tree may be and naturally there is the worry of fire. 

Plus we are at the other end of the long hall away from the elevator.  To get the tree out of here, down the hallway, into the elevator and out the back would be a total mess.  So when we moved here I gave up on the idea of having a real one.

We have learned to love our artificial one.  In fact, we put it up today.  I don't know when we are actually going to decorate it (hopefully before Thanksgiving), but it is ready. 

Respected Contributor

The artificial trees are so realistic looking these days that when they are decorated they are gorgeous. We have had one for thirty two years and it is wonderful because we put it up at Thanksgiving and ours is nine feet high. We get so many compliments on it and it is really nice to have it be prelit.