Honored Contributor

Re: Well this is a first! (Christmas outside decorated)

I can see both sides of the HOA debate.

I think people just really need to be honest with themselves and do a lot of research before they buy. 

I like traditional neighborhoods, where one is subject to only the general zoning rules and regulations of the town. You can be more yourself in your outdoor decor, landscaping, paint colors etc. But...you have to be willing to put up with that 'tacky' (to you) neighbor that does everything you hate.

I like strict HOA's as well. In my mind, there is something beautiful about a neighborhood where there are rules, and everyone has to follow them. It lends itself to a much more pleasing look to the neighborhood (in general). Not necessarily every home the exact same cookie cutter style/color, but rules where people who have postage stamp lawns, connecting to several others, aren't allowed to make the place look like the North Pole exploded.

I've always thought that the phrase 'good fences make good neighbors' is wise, and I believe that strict HOA rules make good neighbors too. 

Many people move into such areas, just because of the control of the outdoor environment and the guarantee they won't have to live in an area where colors, decor and landscape doesn't fit their style or exceed their limits they are comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

The only restriction our COA has is when to take things down....they dont want to see Halloween decor still up by Thanksgiving etc etc.....and they want Christmas stuff down by the end of January.............

I put my indoor stuff up early so I can enjoy it longer 2 much work for a couple of weeks!....I just wait a bit for the outdoor which is not much at all, because I dont know how my neighbors would react if I put my outside decor up early....but shoot all the stores have their stuff up....and even The Bass Pro-Shop is in full mode with their Santa's Wonderland.....So let each individual decide whats best for them.....

I guess your HOA would faint if they saw my cousin's neighborhood these people go all out for ALL holidays--you should see the subdivision at Halloween....then at Chistmas....nothing but lights and inflatibles to the max--LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I can see both sides of the HOA debate.

I think people just really need to be honest with themselves and do a lot of research before they buy. 

I like traditional neighborhoods, where one is subject to only the general zoning rules and regulations of the town. You can be more yourself in your outdoor decor, landscaping, paint colors etc. But...you have to be willing to put up with that 'tacky' (to you) neighbor that does everything you hate.

I like strict HOA's as well. In my mind, there is something beautiful about a neighborhood where there are rules, and everyone has to follow them. It lends itself to a much more pleasing look to the neighborhood (in general). Not necessarily every home the exact same cookie cutter style/color, but rules where people who have postage stamp lawns, connecting to several others, aren't allowed to make the place look like the North Pole exploded.

I've always thought that the phrase 'good fences make good neighbors' is wise, and I believe that strict HOA rules make good neighbors too. 

Many people move into such areas, just because of the control of the outdoor environment and the guarantee they won't have to live in an area where colors, decor and landscape doesn't fit their style or exceed their limits they are comfortable with.

@Mominohio

I understand what you are saying HOAs may serve a good purpose too (as long as they don't go overboard and the fee is REASONABLE).  I wouldnt want to live in a neighborhood where people park their cars on their front lawns, or have trash all over, dont maintain their home-never mow etc....or where people don't pick up their dog's mess etc.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

Well, sounds like they have lots of energy. Good for them. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I stand corrected!!!!

I usually don't decorate early because my things are stored in attic & I can never climb those steep narrow pull down steps OR get those bins down. 

My spouse has never liked anything about holidays (another story) and he deems when he feels decorations should go up.  He refuses unless I nag him to do it before 12/6!!! In fact, he's the one who told me about our community rules.  Honestly, I never asked just took his word (very few decorate but put wreaths on doors).

So today I was doing my AM walk saw one of the board members & jokingly  said "oh I see the letter coming for the early decorations".

Imagine my shock when he looked at me strangely - he said "there are no rules about putting them up BUT must be down by 1/10"

Needless to say I was embarrassed and I can't print what I said to spouse ##***😤😤😤😤😡😡😡😡

So of course, I'm really going to get in "high gear" to figure out how to store my holiday stuff without depending on him!!!  I wish my laundry wasn't in the garage or I could keep them there - but with that, golf cart, water heater & all the other stuff there is barely room (and previous owner put these wierd shelving units bolted to walls)

I normally am not here the month of December but this year I'll just be going for a few days (thru Christmas) then my family is coming here - so I was excited to decorate this year!

PS: the tree on the lamp post was correct they want to keep it a uniformity thru the complex.

Honored Contributor

We moved to an HOA community because we wanted to snowbird and in this community the HOA does the landscape maintainence.Now we are no longer snowbirds we are interested in finding a home in a non HOA community .

Honored Contributor

@151949

seems I haven't seen you post in awhile so looks like you've been busy with a move!

For my personal situation, living in a over 55 gated community is not for me - lots of rules, regulations,etc. but there are so many "empty" homes due to many snowbirds not returning or age factor (we've had 7 people pass just on our street since March).  This week 5 homes came on the market - here they say "for every 1 home for sale there is 5 snowbirds to buy it".  

Good luck in your home search.  If I recall you are in Sarasota area. My cousin just bought a beautiful home in Island Walk community - it's big & I know the maintenance is covered by HOA but it's not a over 55. (I still love kids!).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

Well I stand corrected!!!!

I usually don't decorate early because my things are stored in attic & I can never climb those steep narrow pull down steps OR get those bins down. 

My spouse has never liked anything about holidays (another story) and he deems when he feels decorations should go up.  He refuses unless I nag him to do it before 12/6!!! In fact, he's the one who told me about our community rules.  Honestly, I never asked just took his word (very few decorate but put wreaths on doors).

So today I was doing my AM walk saw one of the board members & jokingly  said "oh I see the letter coming for the early decorations".

Imagine my shock when he looked at me strangely - he said "there are no rules about putting them up BUT must be down by 1/10"

Needless to say I was embarrassed and I can't print what I said to spouse ##***😤😤😤😤😡😡😡😡

So of course, I'm really going to get in "high gear" to figure out how to store my holiday stuff without depending on him!!!  I wish my laundry wasn't in the garage or I could keep them there - but with that, golf cart, water heater & all the other stuff there is barely room (and previous owner put these wierd shelving units bolted to walls)

I normally am not here the month of December but this year I'll just be going for a few days (thru Christmas) then my family is coming here - so I was excited to decorate this year!

PS: the tree on the lamp post was correct they want to keep it a uniformity thru the complex.

@homedecor1~ I'm thinking coal might be in your DH's stocking this year. lol The good news though, at least now you know the decorating can begin! Good for you!

Christmas mini graphicsChristmas mini graphics

Honored Contributor

@LIG1

In the spirit of Christmas I no longer let him bother me! Plus, no sense strangling him cuz I'm not comfortable in the color "orange" or stripes!!!! (Prison garb😉).  

Lol