Honored Contributor

Well this is a first! (Christmas outside decorated)

Coming home tonight I turned into my complex & someone has their home decorated, lights, wreaths & more!!

This couple moved here recently - I hope our HOA doesn't send them the letter : no lights until 12/6, no more than 3 items in yard, no higher than 3'.

It looks so festive I'm getting "antsy" for 12/6...

Honored Contributor

Re: Well this is a first! (Christmas outside decorated)

Your HOA seems unusually restrictive.  So many people use the long Thanksgiving week-end for their decoration installation.  What on earth difference, in the great scheme of things, does a week make?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Decorating for Christmas this early is ridiculous.  A bid attention.  We can decorate our balconies and windows but not until the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations must come down by January 15.  There are few homes in town that traditionally are all lit and blazing for Christmas before Thanksgiving and it does seem like every year, there are few more.  It's sad to think about it but by the time my grandbabies are teens,  there will be no Thanksgiving celebrations.  We'll go from Halloween right to Christmas.   Take the pumpkins and witches and goblins down and deck the halls the very next day.  

Respected Contributor

We’re going away for Thanksgiving and I told my husband we’re putting our Christmas decorations up as soon as we get home. In the past, we waited until it was closer to Christmas and decorating became another chore at a hectic time. Last year we decorated earlier in December and it was a much calmer and more festive experience. I agree that your HOA seems pretty restrictive. They’re probably trying to keep homeowners from going overboard, but they need to find a happy medium. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Our BOD are comprised of the "good ole' boys" who are ridiculous. Sadly, not many "new" people are interested in getting on the Board.

Me included...so I can't have a say.  When I first moved here everyone had a Christmas tree (made of light strands - kit issued thru community $75) on their light post.  Every house has it to be "uniform".

I did not do it I wrapped my lightpost & added lights. I got the "letter"...no "stepford wives decor" for me! I still do it till this day!

The 🙄🙄🙄 was not for YOU just my expression when I think about all the stupid rules here....BUT it's ok to put your Garbage out (not in a can) the night before so the critters can feast & the street is strewn with garbage the next morning....ugh!!!!  It drives me crazy I've even filed a complaint...nope nothing....

Honored Contributor

Almost everyone in my neighborhood has their outside Christmas decorations up.  Only one neighbor, who is a retired doctor actually has his lights lit.

If you live where it gets cold and snowy, it makes good sense to put the outside stuff up early to avoid the bad weather.  Several neighbors climb onto their roof and put light all around their roof line.  Others have huge pine trees 20-30 ft high complete with lights.  They are helped by the fire dept getting those lights up there.

I don’t think putting up Holiday decorations early is unusual.  I just don’t get it why it should really matter, it’s not a big deal.

I am over the moon happy that we don’t have a HOA.  I personally would never move into a community that had one.  I would be getting the “letter” way too often.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so very glad we found a house not located in an HOA.

I played "Free Bird" endlessly while I was moving out of the old neighborhood, subject to the whims of the "board".

I have a lighted star on my front porch, and a holly wreath on the door (already).  Nothing gaudy, nothing over-the-top, in my opinion.

I'll put a tree out there (on the porch) probably in a few weeks. but who knows?  I may change my mind.

Enjoy your decorating!🎄

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Almost everyone in my neighborhood has their outside Christmas decorations up.  Only one neighbor, who is a retired doctor actually has his lights lit.

If you live where it gets cold and snowy, it makes good sense to put the outside stuff up early to avoid the bad weather.  Several neighbors climb onto their roof and put light all around their roof line.  Others have huge pine trees 20-30 ft high complete with lights.  They are helped by the fire dept getting those lights up there.

I don’t think putting up Holiday decorations early is unusual.  I just don’t get it why it should really matter, it’s not a big deal.

I am over the moon happy that we don’t have a HOA.  I personally would never move into a community that had one.  I would be getting the “letter” way too often.

I totally agree, my house, my rules !!🎄

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

These HOA's go overboard.  I can understand a few restrictions but why stop people from decorating?  

Honored Contributor

Most people don't decorate until the Thanksgiving weekend where I live. I mean, Nordstrom doesn't have decorations in their store until the day after, so....why not have them up that weekend as well? Wonder why the 6th?

As for HOA's: I've lived in communities with and without. Give me WITH, every time. I'm also on the board of my HOA. It never surprises me when people complain about stuff but won't attend the meetings (4 a year for 1 hour) or won't join the board in order to change what they complain about. That's exactly why you DO get involved/join; that's why I did.