Honored Contributor

I really don't understand how anyone could be Christmas shopping already! I tend to buy gifts that are wanted. I have to wait until I get at least an idea what my family wants! I've always been the type to get what people really want and not just pick up stuff, all year long, and give that. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh:  You're smart to check things off your list early. Smiley Happy Making sure you have gift boxes now is very smart. As we all know, trying to find boxes just before Christmas is nearly impossible.

Speaking of checking things off the list early, the other day I was thinking about Thanksgiving. I usually host Thanksgiving dinner. It would be very smart (of me) to get the spices I need now. I always seem to wait til the 11th hour  and have to go on an extensive search to find Bell's Poultry Seasoning, sage, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, etc. 

Regular Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Usually by now my shopping is done, and I’m just waiting on delivery dates.   However, I’m making a VERY big change with Christmas this year, and I’m not going to continue doing what I’ve always done.

In July, I bought the Hallmark ornament for my nephew, which has been a tradition for us for 30 years.   I do not intend to shop/buy any other gifts, period.  

My family is blessed to have everything we need and want.   My daughters have good jobs and buy whatever they want; exquisite jewelry, designer bags, guns, motorcycles, etc.  My house is full of their stuff, so at this point I’m not buying gifts for them anymore.   They will receive checks to be used for their Roth IRA accounts.

The last thing my mother needs is more useless stuff to fill her house.   I buy grocery items for her, which she appreciates much more than the usual gifts for someone over 80.   

Honest conversations with my girlfriends resulted in an agreement between us to stop gifting.   They have multiple grandchildren to buy for, and my family opted to move our holiday get together to my house, so many things contributed to the decision to do things differently this year.   

Loved your post. We have a daughter her b'day is Christmas eve so we started a tradition many years ago an annual b'day/xmas eve party at our home. We also have all agreed  to no more useless gifts instead we all make one big donation to our local food pantry. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gidgetgh Wow! Good for you! I've made a few purchases, and I'm starting to decide what to send the kid's in-laws. But that's about it. I did decide on Christmas cards - that usually takes half a year! Hahaha! But, here's my question. Does anyone have young grandchildren who change their minds every week up until the last week before Christmas? If I buy something now, it will be so last year by the time Christmas rolls around.

@PA Mom-mom- we have our will be 6 soon year old grandson to buy for.  We won't be shopping for him till early December because he'll change his mind too many times between now and then!

For my sister's three children- they're adults and I'll shop for them on Black Friday, from a list.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I really don't understand how anyone could be Christmas shopping already! I tend to buy gifts that are wanted. I have to wait until I get at least an idea what my family wants! I've always been the type to get what people really want and not just pick up stuff, all year long, and give that. Woman Frustrated

@ID2- it's October.... really not so early.

And my gifts are usually really nice and well received.  I don't usually just "pick up stuff".

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2- it's October.... really not so early.

And my gifts are usually really nice and well received.  I don't usually just "pick up stuff".

Ditto, @gidgetgh - it's not like I bought a scarf for everyone on my list just to say I'm done; all of my gifts are customized to the recipients.