Esteemed Contributor

We celebrated Thanksgiving early!

Woke up to snow and cold. My son called to suggest we meet for an early Thanksgiving Dinner today. "But, next week is going to be so nice!"  

They just found out my grandson (11) needs to have a tooth removed. Since school will be out, they went ahead and scheduled to have it removed on Tuesday (giving him the rest of the week off school anyway). It entails having his upper braces removed, the tooth extracted and time to heal, and the braces replaced.

My DIL isn't sure how long he will be unable to eat solid foods or if he will be swollen, etc., and wanted to make sure we had our family holiday before his dental surgery. 

Spur-of-the-moment decision was "Yes, let's do it today" by everyone! We selected an excellent restaurant and had a leisurely two hour meal (I had an adult beverage), great school updates, and various stories of our lives for the past week or two. 

Best of all? I don't have to cook next week! Already thinking about volunteering. Just need to find a place . . . which is on my "to do list" for tomorrow. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: We celebrated Thanksgiving early!

@BirkiLady  OH my poor little kid!  Nobody should have to go through that!

We did Thanksgiving the week before the real date after my dad died.  We had a better time, restaurants weren't crowded, you could get groceries easier, etc.  Then we put up the tree and outside lights Thanksgiving unless the weather was bad. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Like you said, not too busy and we were relaxed! We may consider doing the same thing before other holidays to avoid the crowds. It really was one of the most enjoyable "holiday meals" we've had in many years.

Dressed up and behaved like it was the "real deal" . . . except turkey wasn't on the menu or the buffet! Frankly, none of us cared. My salmon was much better and it sounded like everyone else was delighted with their choices. 

We did go to a different restaurant than the ones we usually frequent on Sunday's. Decided to make today unique. We'll be back! The food was fabulous and our server had a great personality. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

What a delight to have a flexible family!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry your grandson has to go through that. However it is great that you all got to celebrate Thanksgiving and enjoy your time together. It doesn't have to be on the actual day to appreciate the holiday and what it means.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady That sounds GREAT! and how nice that everyone was on board. Glad the little guy could enjoy a T'Giving Dinner before the dental stuff. Good going!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

Happy Early Thanksgiving!

We did this one year when I was visiting home -- we ate at home & I for one thoroughly enjoyed a lazy relaxed day with just family.

I suggested the same for Christmas (since on Tuesday & work nextday) as family is spread out.  No decision has been made yet -- although, it makes sense at least to me!

Glad you & your family had a nice day!  Hope your grandson feels better😁

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This brings back memories. We went through a period of time when we always had our Thanksgiving early, the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving. There was one Thanksgiving that a small shopping center was open all day, so my Mom and I drove an hours drive to go shop. This was rare that stores was open back then. 

It blew snow all day and was just the most perfect day to Christmas shop We had the best time that day. It kind of  felt like we were getting away with something since we I didn't have to work and she didn't have to cook.

My mom bought me a red wool coat that day for my Christmas present. That was 28 years ago and I still have that red coat. It's still in great shape but I haven't worn it in years. When I clean out the coat closet I always hang it back in the closet.  I never look at that coat without remembering how much fun that Thanksgiving day was, just me and mom.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady,

What a great idea, hope your grandson feels better quickly!

https://www.thanksimages.com/images/quotes/english/general/happy-thanksgiving-to-you-52650-15910.jpg

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady- please give your grandson my regards. Your Thanksgiving sounds WONDERFUL!

Like a dope, I made a very delayed dental appointment for October, and wound up with a temporary crown that won’t be permanently replaced until 11/27, and the tech’s last words were “Don’t chew on that temp!” 

Mini-groan...... DH and I  changed dentists, and I was pleased with our new practice and WILDLY RELIEVED to have only two replacement procedures needed, so I’ll be thankful for that, and satisfied to forego two sided chewing while everyone else at the table is chomping on celery and nuts and crispy turkey skin.

Hopes that ALL of us spend Thanksgiving finding something to be THANKFUL for!