Honored Contributor

Have you switched out your holiday look yet?  Or, on the contrary are you not even contemplating it?

Normally, I leave mine up till Twelfth Night (my mother was a traditionalist and that's what we always did).  But feeling restless this year, I started early.

My winter "look",  if there is one, is sort of silvery, white and cream, but still with greens.  So first I extracted the bits of red, in sparkly balls, ribbon and tartan, that I had out.  Both Nativities have reluctantly been retired till next year.  Gone are my little vintage porcelain choir boys in red robes... 

My big wooden dough bowls and Belleek footed bowl still have sprigs of evergreen, pinecones, and a couple of silver mercury glass ornaments, including a fat mercury bird.

Must still have lights, to dispel gloom!  So I put my new, multi-function fairy lights in two different mercury glass vessels, silver this time, instead of gold.  They're stationed at either end of the top of my cupboard in living room, so I can catch their intermittent twinkle...

Valerie's whitewashed "carved" and distressed looking  birds are still out in full force-- they're cheery enough for the whole winter.

Things should stay this way for awhile...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell I think that sounds beautiful. I keep a winter look up as well. I have my mantel decorated with a garland with faux poinsettias (with lights added). Like you I take down the items that are more "Christmas" oriented but I have some pinecone shaped candles and some of the dark red luminara candles.  I am fortunate that my Mom over the span of many years gave me various pieces of the "holiday" pattern from Lenox so I have a large bowl on the kitchen table with a red tablecloth and add and subtract items into that decor. I leave my dishes in that pattern in the corner cupboard in my kitchen with some more flameless candles and battery powered lights. Like you, I like to have light for the winter season. When I come home and things are bright, it just makes me feel happier.

Enjoy your wonderful decor.

Respected Contributor

Re: WINTER "DECOR" FOR YOU?

[ Edited ]

This year I was drawn to the very real looking little rustic pine trees in tin cans . They were the one thing I did buy this season, so I will leave them sitting around all winter, unadorned, just plain. Everything Christmas was all put away New Year’s Eve.

eta...My many flameless candles are always in use year round.

Esteemed Contributor

Post Christmas, my decor includes Pfaltzgraff Winterberry plates and a candle lamp in the kitchen, all picked up for a dollar at thrift. In the LR, faux fur accents and plush throws. DR- lights and a couple of flameless candles. Winter birds decor on the entry bombe chest.

Just a couple of seasonal accents in each room. Looking to add a few more silver tone and/ or mercury glass pieces. I will continue to add fresh evergreen branches and holly from my yard to bowls and vases with white carnations.

Honored Contributor

I'll keep out things with snowmen, snowflakes and greenery. Lanterns with candles inside give a nice glow in winter too.

Regular Contributor

For me it's now about decorating for winter/snow/ice.. I have a crystal garland that I intertwine mini white lights for an "icy" look but add flameless candles for a fire & ice look. That goes in the non-working fireplace. I put up a red berry wreath that is accented with icy flakes, also a sparse pine wreath with a cardinal. Then I have the snow families to set around. I like winter when I don't have to go outside! I also have pieces of the Winterberry pattern but have never used it for decorating - great idea. Hopefully I will make the transition this weekend.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24, @Azcowgirl , @queendiva , @AuntG , @suzykee

Love hearing what each of you does in the winter!  Full of good ideas--  mind if I borrow some?  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My living room and dining room have burgundy oriental area rugs and a white sofa and drapery.

I use Waterford crystal with the fairy lights, and Valerie's crystal candle holder on top of stacked crystal trays. 
   The white birch tree is in a corner on its timer and a boxwood corkscrew topiary that lights up is where the tree was. I flip the remote on it when wanted.

Small containers with white Narcissus are scattered about. (A local designer florist once used them at Christmas, and I always use them after. They appear forced).

Many lanterns and battery candles are out for a feeling of warmth. I switch figurines according to seasons. Royal Copenhagen, Lladro and Rosenthal. 

My den mantle currently has bronze open work candle holders with battery candles and two scenes of trees that my granddaughter painted for me for Christmas.

All Christmas themed items are packed away.

Trusted Contributor

I think the Christmas look has been going more toward a Winter look for a few years now. All the flocked indoor pine trees of all sizes that Valerie had from 3ft. on up was just for decor. That is deffently more Winter. With the look of neutrals to me it's more Winter than Christmas.  For the past 6 years I have a 9ft. all white tree in my entryway  I put up for Christmas but I leave up for Winter. So I've been doing Winter/Christmas for awhile now.

Honored Contributor

That sounds lovely but I don't have the time or desire to do a winter look.  Christmas is my big decorating project and I keep it up until 1/7 and then it comes down.  My home returns to normal with our normal decorator pieces.  I put a few pieces out for spring/summer.  The past few years, I have doing quite a bit for Fall.  Not equivalent to Christmas but a lot.  I'm just not one of those people who goes all out, full tilt for every season or every holiday.