Honored Contributor

WALES HONORS ST. DAVID'S DAY, "DEWI SANT" ON MARCH 1

daffodils+church+partricio+(2).jpg

March makes me think of daffodils, which make me think of Wales ( daffodils are the national flower ),  and Saint David's Day, when the Welsh wear daffodils and leeks.  He died on March 1, in the year 589.

Daffodils are the most fanciful, charming little flower, nodding away in the breeze.  To me, their shapes have a star-like aspect.

David was the son of Ceredig ap Cunedda, the king of Ceredigion.  He was a respected figure, who advocated simplicity in living, and self-denial in his own life.  He is usually depicted standing on a hill, with a dove on his shoulder.

wild-daffodils-forest-st-david-day-welsh-national-flowers-yellow-growing-lellingen-luxembourg-215731555.jpg

Happy March!

s960_SVW-B05-0708-0004-1024PX.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: WALES HONORS ST. DAVID'S DAY, "DEWI SANT" ON MARCH 1

[ Edited ]

The leaves on my daffodils are about 4" high right now. I am scared that they are going to freeze.

Every year I go through the same thing. trying to cover my daffodils to protect them from the frost. I won some battles and lost some. 

The daffodils looks so nice that it is worth the effort trying to protect them from the frost.

My Dad's family came from Wales. Every one of their newsletters had below the header -

To be born Welsh

Is to be born privileged.

Not with a silver spoon

In your mouth,

But with music in your blood

And poetry in your soul.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the reminder and the lovely images, @Oznell. Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus!

I wish there were more opportunities for me to keep up on my Welsh; I miss being able to hear and speak it. But perhaps I just need to plant some daffodils...  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For all the information above, thank you,

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, so interesting.   I have just one Welsh-born grandparent--  my Dad's father, a coal miner and stone mason born in Barry, near Cardiff.   Love that little poem, thank you!

Wow, @loriqvc ,  how amazing that you are a Welsh-speaker, which as you know, is quite rare.  Would love to know your story--  you must have been born there, or have Welsh parentage?  This is fascinating.

Oh, thank you, @meallen616 --  your cheerful images and contributions are a bright spot in any thread.