Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage holiday decorating...

@Susan Louise

I love vintage too!  

Love the photos Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm going to have to check out what Hitchcock furniture is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I enjoyed seeing the pictures posted and hearing the descriptions written by all of you.  You know the vintage decoration I miss the most?  The incandescent, truly random twinkle lights that we used on our trees when I was young.  I so wish some programmer would figure out how to replicate that look with the newer LED light strands.

@Marsha2003. I know just what you are talking about! Those lights seemed to twinkle to whatever Christmas music happened to be playing! I used them for as long as I could.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

This is now considered "vintage"? Looks like my Christmas every year. I didn't know what I had was that old to be referred to as "vintage". 

@ID2 Where do you get your tinsel? Have you saved it from years ago? The tinsel available these days is not right. The original stuff is illegal to sell, I think.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise  Very pretty. I love, love the tree!

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise

thank you for sharing those beautiful pics but I especially love the Christmas tree one.  I have not had a christmas tree in my home in 10 years☹️☹️☹️ reason is I hate the thought of a "artificial tree". Although, there are beautiful ones I just can't bring myself to buy one.  

I've never had anything but a fresh picked & cut big douglas fir.  Oh, the hours my boys & I used to spend walking up & down the tree farm.  (Yes, they sell them here in FL but just can't get into Christmas in the south).

I've scoured every box stored looking for my grandmothers carolers, angels, tree topper & nativity set (from the 1920s).  And another box of my childhood ones -- I sadly think they were "lost" in transit -- I've asked all my cousins they don't have them. 

So I enjoy seeing all the "vintage" pics posted here! Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Susan Louise

thank you for sharing those beautiful pics but I especially love the Christmas tree one.  I have not had a christmas tree in my home in 10 years☹️☹️☹️ reason is I hate the thought of a "artificial tree". Although, there are beautiful ones I just can't bring myself to buy one.  

I've never had anything but a fresh picked & cut big douglas fir.  Oh, the hours my boys & I used to spend walking up & down the tree farm.  (Yes, they sell them here in FL but just can't get into Christmas in the south).

I've scoured every box stored looking for my grandmothers carolers, angels, tree topper & nativity set (from the 1920s).  And another box of my childhood ones -- I sadly think they were "lost" in transit -- I've asked all my cousins they don't have them. 

So I enjoy seeing all the "vintage" pics posted here! Thank you!

@homedecor1  I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. For you and others who love that pic of the big tree just as much as I do, I found the pic on the internet.

As I mentioned in my OP, it was the closest to the image of the 9-10' balsam tree my cousin's family had when I was growing up. Unfortunately, I have no real pics of my cousin's tree from yrs past, but it still left me with wonderful memories.

I saw many similar trees on Pinterest Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Our tree is smaller now but I put most of the ornaments from my childhood tree. My Dad came home with some unique ones. They are vintage as am I. 

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I especially like the pink tree in your first picture!🎄

@Sweetbay magnolia  Do you like decorating with pink? If so, I did see a pretty vintage bottle brush tree on Ebay under the title "Vtg~PINK~8" ~BOTTLE BRUSH Tree~Xmas Feather Tree Bead Garland~Silver Flocking".

As for the 'pink' tree in my pic, I happened to take the pic just at the precise moment in time that the tree was pink...LOL

That tree is one of 2 sets of 3 I bought of Valerie's last year. One set I bought at the regular price before they sold out H212597 (you can still watch the video). When I received them and saw the quality & versatility, I stalked 'as is' and got lucky getting a 2nd set H215247.

I used all 6 last year when I decorated! Three are in the 1st 2 pics I posted, 2 with the angels below and the sixth is in the pic below the angels. I used 3 trees on the white light function and the other 3 on the color morphing function Smiley Happy

Here's a pic with 2 more of the same trees that I used with Valerie's set of angels...

P4480895.JPG

The 6th tree...top right Smiley Happy

P4480886.JPG

Love those angels -- they look like Hummels!

@vsm  Valerie's musical angel set (H205376is still available if you are interested  Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Your Christmas decorations are lovely.  I also love old-fashioned decorating and try to carry on that theme into Christmas.  Some things I have are old (we have been married for almost 52 years).  I am trying to pare down now, but there are some items I will always try to keep.  I have a few “dummy board” Santas I painted through the years.  Basically, this type of design is very Early American, a painted and cut-out flat design held up by a stand.  We did acquire a large set of Victoria-era village pieces a few years ago, bought from someone we know who was selling her collection.  I have a large centerpiece of them on my kitchen table, just churches 

and snow scene.  I have an inn display on a small table in my living room, as well as a large two-tier display on my living room hearth.  I have some antique pieces I have on permanent display, including an original wooden child’s sled in my dining room (it has a handle to push the sleigh as well).  That is a treasure we bought many years ago in Maine.

We copied a front door design we saw in a very expensive shop.  An old set of skis, crossed over toward the top, with some greens and a ribbon where they are crossed.  Believe it or not, these are old wooden skis that were my DH’s first childhood skis (he is now 77 years old).

A good source for some retro-type designs is Vermont Country store.  We bought our ceramic little Christmas tree from them, and they offer several stollens from Germany, as well.  

We we have a few items we bought in Germany a few years ago.  German-made Christmas designs are all so lovely, and I managed to pick up a very nice piece made in Germany for a song in Home Goods last year!

Yes, we have an old-fashioned colonial home. Not antique, but decorated in a style of years gone by.  Not popular now, but we love our few pieces of Hitchcock furniture, etc. It’s a comfy family home, now occupied by two oldsters and their darling kitty.

Happy decorating to all!

Sounds wonderful -- would you consider posting pictures when the time comes?

Hello @vsm, Thank you!  I would love to post pictures,  but I don’t know about this year. We are in the middle of a big home project here.  While we have no immediate plan to leave our “family home,” we decided a while back that it would be smart to have some updating done and clean-out of some 40 years of accumulated stuff.  Whew!  Our kitchen has been remodeled, as well as two full baths and one half bath.  While we are happy with the results, it was very stressful.  Now we are in initial stages of having repainting done, as well as our clean out of “stuff.”  So, as you can imagine, we are in a state of flux.  Our children have plenty of stuff of their own, so we are donating a lot of things as well as throwing away.  I would like to post some pictures in the future because our home is a nod to the past and a bit unusual to many younger posters.  Not a museum by any means, just different.  Thank you for your interest!