Respected Contributor

Re: Vintage holiday decorating...

Beautiful pics and decorations.  I love vintage decorations too.  I have tons of ornaments and some table decorations that were my Mom and Dad's.  The earliest ones are a set of 6 angels playing instruments  - they got them in 1950 - the year they got married.  Lots of Shiny Brite brand and other vintage ornaments too.  I have bought some on eBay as well.  I have a green ceramic tree exactly like yours - my Mom made it.  Love this stuff!

Respected Contributor

Really pretty!  It, too, reminds me of the things my mom used to decorate with-especially the singing choir boys and the sparkly houses.  My mom had "people" who were fashioned from puffy pipe cleaners, complete with hats, scarfs, skates and skis.  She would arrange them around a mirror with cotton batting for snow and the little sparkly houses like a village on the edges.  I loved it as a child!  Wish I still had these things!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your Christmas decorations are lovely.  I also love old-fashioned decorating and try to carry on that theme into Christmas.  Some things I have are old (we have been married for almost 52 years).  I am trying to pare down now, but there are some items I will always try to keep.  I have a few “dummy board” Santas I painted through the years.  Basically, this type of design is very Early American, a painted and cut-out flat design held up by a stand.  We did acquire a large set of Victoria-era village pieces a few years ago, bought from someone we know who was selling her collection.  I have a large centerpiece of them on my kitchen table, just churches 

and snow scene.  I have an inn display on a small table in my living room, as well as a large two-tier display on my living room hearth.  I have some antique pieces I have on permanent display, including an original wooden child’s sled in my dining room (it has a handle to push the sleigh as well).  That is a treasure we bought many years ago in Maine.

We copied a front door design we saw in a very expensive shop.  An old set of skis, crossed over toward the top, with some greens and a ribbon where they are crossed.  Believe it or not, these are old wooden skis that were my DH’s first childhood skis (he is now 77 years old).

A good source for some retro-type designs is Vermont Country store.  We bought our ceramic little Christmas tree from them, and they offer several stollens from Germany, as well.  

We we have a few items we bought in Germany a few years ago.  German-made Christmas designs are all so lovely, and I managed to pick up a very nice piece made in Germany for a song in Home Goods last year!

Yes, we have an old-fashioned colonial home. Not antique, but decorated in a style of years gone by.  Not popular now, but we love our few pieces of Hitchcock furniture, etc. It’s a comfy family home, now occupied by two oldsters and their darling kitty.

Happy decorating to all!

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I especially like the pink tree in your first picture!🎄

@Sweetbay magnolia  Do you like decorating with pink? If so, I did see a pretty vintage bottle brush tree on Ebay under the title "Vtg~PINK~8" ~BOTTLE BRUSH Tree~Xmas Feather Tree Bead Garland~Silver Flocking".

As for the 'pink' tree in my pic, I happened to take the pic just at the precise moment in time that the tree was pink...LOL

That tree is one of 2 sets of 3 I bought of Valerie's last year. One set I bought at the regular price before they sold out H212597 (you can still watch the video). When I received them and saw the quality & versatility, I stalked 'as is' and got lucky getting a 2nd set H215247.

I used all 6 last year when I decorated! Three are in the 1st 2 pics I posted, 2 with the angels below and the sixth is in the pic below the angels. I used 3 trees on the white light function and the other 3 on the color morphing function Smiley Happy

Here's a pic with 2 more of the same trees that I used with Valerie's set of angels...

P4480895.JPG

The 6th tree...top right Smiley Happy

P4480886.JPG

Love those angels -- they look like Hummels!

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Your Christmas decorations are lovely.  I also love old-fashioned decorating and try to carry on that theme into Christmas.  Some things I have are old (we have been married for almost 52 years).  I am trying to pare down now, but there are some items I will always try to keep.  I have a few “dummy board” Santas I painted through the years.  Basically, this type of design is very Early American, a painted and cut-out flat design held up by a stand.  We did acquire a large set of Victoria-era village pieces a few years ago, bought from someone we know who was selling her collection.  I have a large centerpiece of them on my kitchen table, just churches 

and snow scene.  I have an inn display on a small table in my living room, as well as a large two-tier display on my living room hearth.  I have some antique pieces I have on permanent display, including an original wooden child’s sled in my dining room (it has a handle to push the sleigh as well).  That is a treasure we bought many years ago in Maine.

We copied a front door design we saw in a very expensive shop.  An old set of skis, crossed over toward the top, with some greens and a ribbon where they are crossed.  Believe it or not, these are old wooden skis that were my DH’s first childhood skis (he is now 77 years old).

A good source for some retro-type designs is Vermont Country store.  We bought our ceramic little Christmas tree from them, and they offer several stollens from Germany, as well.  

We we have a few items we bought in Germany a few years ago.  German-made Christmas designs are all so lovely, and I managed to pick up a very nice piece made in Germany for a song in Home Goods last year!

Yes, we have an old-fashioned colonial home. Not antique, but decorated in a style of years gone by.  Not popular now, but we love our few pieces of Hitchcock furniture, etc. It’s a comfy family home, now occupied by two oldsters and their darling kitty.

Happy decorating to all!

Sounds wonderful -- would you consider posting pictures when the time comes?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

VSM - I love Hitchcock furniture.  I have a desk and chair that I bought in the early 70s - I use it as my dressing table.  Would love to have a Hitchcock dining room set.  

Honored Contributor

Oh Susan Louies, I love your pictures!  I still use C7 lights on my christmas tree and use ornaments that I have had for years or those that look vintage.  The music box is priceless!  I love thinking about my childhood Christmases... Thank You!

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed seeing the pictures posted and hearing the descriptions written by all of you.  You know the vintage decoration I miss the most?  The incandescent, truly random twinkle lights that we used on our trees when I was young.  I so wish some programmer would figure out how to replicate that look with the newer LED light strands.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I especially like the pink tree in your first picture!🎄

@Sweetbay magnolia  Do you like decorating with pink? If so, I did see a pretty vintage bottle brush tree on Ebay under the title "Vtg~PINK~8" ~BOTTLE BRUSH Tree~Xmas Feather Tree Bead Garland~Silver Flocking".

As for the 'pink' tree in my pic, I happened to take the pic just at the precise moment in time that the tree was pink...LOL

That tree is one of 2 sets of 3 I bought of Valerie's last year. One set I bought at the regular price before they sold out H212597 (you can still watch the video). When I received them and saw the quality & versatility, I stalked 'as is' and got lucky getting a 2nd set H215247.

I used all 6 last year when I decorated! Three are in the 1st 2 pics I posted, 2 with the angels below and the sixth is in the pic below the angels. I used 3 trees on the white light function and the other 3 on the color morphing function Smiley Happy

Here's a pic with 2 more of the same trees that I used with Valerie's set of angels...

P4480895.JPG

The 6th tree...top right Smiley Happy

P4480886.JPG

Love those angels -- they look like Hummels!

@vsm  Valerie's musical angel set (H205376is still available if you are interested  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Love the large Christmas tree with the ornament topper.  The big lights and tinsel bring back memories of childhood for me.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength