Honored Contributor

Vintage holiday decorating...

[ Edited ]

The older I get the more I decorate with vintage. I haven't bought anymore vintage pieces this year (last year I acquired quite a haul...LOL), but I still love to browse Pinterest, Etsy, & Ebay.

I was having a hard time sleeping tonight...insomnia, so I made myself some tea and was looking at some really lovely Ebay pieces. Last year I got 3 vintage bottle brush trees with the glass ornaments. One of them was a music box too and I love them (pics below)...

This vintage bottle brush tree could not have matched the tiny bottle brush trees on either side of Valerie's church more perfectly!

P4480809.JPG

And the other two trees are in this pic. The one on the left is the one that is also a music box. And the ceramic tree in the center was made for me by my aunt back in the mid-80's that I still treasure. The rest of the trees are Valerie's Smiley Happy

P4490009.JPG

This morning I spied a gorgeous vintage blue bottle brush tree on Ebay. My jaw dropped to the floor. I'm not tempted to get it because I don't decorate with blues, but if I did, oh boy!

For anyone interested, at the Ebay site, it's under the title "Vintage Blue Green Aqua Bottle Brush Glitter Table Christmas Tree 8-1/2" Tall" and the auction ends on Monday.

I find it so enjoyable to see things from back during my childhood...like those knee hugger elfs. My mom would decorate our tree with a few and there would always be a couple tucked somewhere on a shelf or in a corner somewhere.

I miss having a tree decorated with those C-9 bulbs. My dad would always get us a 6' Scotch pine. My cousin's home always had a 9-10' balsam tree like this (pic below). I could be mezmerized looking at it for hours!

vintage.jpg

Super Contributor

Re: Vintage holiday decorating...

Love this vintage tree. Reminds me of home in the 50-60's.

Honored Contributor

This is now considered "vintage"? Looks like my Christmas every year. I didn't know what I had was that old to be referred to as "vintage". 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

This is now considered "vintage"? Looks like my Christmas every year. I didn't know what I had was that old to be referred to as "vintage". 

@ID2  'Vintage' is anything that is at least 20 yrs old up to 100 yrs old. Usually anything over 100 yrs old is considered to be an 'antique'.

HTH Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I especially like the pink tree in your first picture!🎄

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I especially like the pink tree in your first picture!🎄

@Sweetbay magnolia  Do you like decorating with pink? If so, I did see a pretty vintage bottle brush tree on Ebay under the title "Vtg~PINK~8" ~BOTTLE BRUSH Tree~Xmas Feather Tree Bead Garland~Silver Flocking".

As for the 'pink' tree in my pic, I happened to take the pic just at the precise moment in time that the tree was pink...LOL

That tree is one of 2 sets of 3 I bought of Valerie's last year. One set I bought at the regular price before they sold out H212597 (you can still watch the video). When I received them and saw the quality & versatility, I stalked 'as is' and got lucky getting a 2nd set H215247.

I used all 6 last year when I decorated! Three are in the 1st 2 pics I posted, 2 with the angels below and the sixth is in the pic below the angels. I used 3 trees on the white light function and the other 3 on the color morphing function Smiley Happy

Here's a pic with 2 more of the same trees that I used with Valerie's set of angels...

P4480895.JPG

The 6th tree...top right Smiley Happy

P4480886.JPG

Super Contributor

Your pics and decorating, all beautiful.  I am another one up way TOO early this Sunday. Love seeing this and brings back many, many happy memories.  Me too, would love comparing the different style real trees each year.between cousins and neighbors.  Thanks for bringing my many happy childhood memories back.  Now, I hope I can stay awake to see Mickey's 90th birthday on TV tonight!

Honored Contributor

Wow‼️  That’s exactly my family’s Christmas tree during the 60’s & 70’s.  Memories ❤️🎄😊

Honored Contributor

When did trees change from a natural shape to the triangular shape we are familiar with?  I suppose it was when artificial trees became popular. One thing I enjoy about the retro TV shows, is seeing old fashioned looking Christmas trees.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When did trees change from a natural shape to the triangular shape we are familiar with?  I suppose it was when artificial trees became popular. One thing I enjoy about the retro TV shows, is seeing old fashioned looking Christmas trees.

@AuntG  My favorite Christmas movie is 'It Happened on 5th Avenue' and I LOVE that Christmas tree too Smiley Happy