Honored Contributor

Very little of my CIJ weekend purchasing is.....

holiday specific.

And that is what I was going for (and so were many of you as we have shared here).

QVC did a good job of marketing and bringing in things that are for beyond the holiday. I like that thinking and utilization of space/money these days.

I purchased the following.

One set of the TSV VPH finials in brown. Using them already, and in my opinion, not another piece of Christmas decor.

Two sets of the Berkshire blankets (three of the four will be gifts). Only keeping one for myself.

A set of Mirage candles in the honey color. Those were recently added, purchased for mostly fall decor, and I don't even consider it a CIJ purchase. Really excited they finally added this color to their line on here.

The brown finials. Again, not really for Christmas. Looking at them for harvest/fall decor, and might use them all winter with pine cones and greens. Really unsure about keeping them, I'm going to have to love them,and wanted to see them in person, as my TV wasn't doing justice to any of the finials.

Brown and champagne spheres that match back to the finials. My first attempt at any spheres. Not sure I'm going to like them, but when they were available to match the finials exactly, I had to make this the time to give them a try. Not going to be used exclusively for Christmas, but more a winter decor addition for me.

The elusive candle rings. Only got one set, would have liked more now that I've seen them. Much better quality than I had expected.

Couple of sets of the 'words to live by' candles that were down to $11. Planning on using those as gifts, if they are nice. Lots of bad reviews on those arriving damaged and defective, so not holding out much hope. I thought for the price, it would be worth the try to have them for small gifts for cousins and such. Won't hesitate to return them if they aren't all good ones.

So, while I did shop, and did spend, I'm looking at that list and really proud/happy that much is for gifting, and most of the rest is just for more general home decor. Nothing is 'Christmas' only, and that is a very good thing for me!

Respected Contributor

Re: Very little of my CIJ weekend purchasing is.....

I appreciated that aspect of the merchandise offered this year as well.

While I don't consider myself "old" I am in my 60s and what I enjoy doing and the atmosphere I crave has changed from even 10 years ago.

I did buy a few items that are definitely Christmas, the flocked tree being the biggest.  I bought the Trumpeting Angels for my mantel.  I also purchased the Belleek holly & ivy bowl.  I love Belleek and while it is a seasonal item I will put out in a place of prominence during the Christmas season, it won't be stored away the rest of the year.  It will move to my curio cabinet where I keep my Belleek pieces.

I got the ED punched metal star (two actually) from my front windows.  I got the connemara marble/waterford crystal hurricane that will make a perfect height centerpiece for my table, and finally, I got Valerie's crystal beaded candle rings.  These items I will change up with bows/ribbon and flowers or greens.

Honored Contributor

I don't even use the few Christmas items I have only at Christmas.  I have several sets of Joan Rivers'  Christmas bulbs in a large crystal bowl.  It's a beautiful, colorful spot on my display shelves.  But, please, don't anyone enable me.  I don't need the new set!!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

I posted earlier that I was disappointed in the CIJ weekend and I didn't know why and thinks to you I now know. There were a lot of items that were not only Christmas. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered several items this weekend and none of them were holiday items. I ordered the tsv Luminara set in navy, the Valerie large and small ginger jars in blue and the mosaic hurricane in cobalt. 

We recently moved and are changing the look and color scheme of the new home to something new and fresh.  It was time for a change. I'm thinking perhaps that has added to my ambivalence over CIJ. After years of having certain Christmas decor in certain places, all my holiday decor plans have now been thrown out the window. The new home and I are still getting to know each other, so time will tell, decor wise, what I want where and if I want it there at all, if that makes any sense. Lol! 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I ordered several items this weekend and none of them were holiday items. I ordered the tsv Luminara set in navy, the Valerie large and small ginger jars in blue and the mosaic hurricane in cobalt. 

We recently moved and are changing the look and color scheme of the new home to something new and fresh.  It was time for a change. I'm thinking perhaps that has added to my ambivalence over CIJ. After years of having certain Christmas decor in certain places, all my holiday decor plans have now been thrown out the window. The new home and I are still getting to know each other, so time will tell, decor wise, what I want where and if I want it there at all, if that makes any sense. Lol! 

@Maltichonmom17

I was in the exact same place with holiday decor until two years ago. Same stuff in the same places for years on end.

I didn't move, but I did buy a lot of new decor, and changed up everything I had ever done with what goes where and with what. 

LOve the changes, and don't feel the need to buy Christmas specific things right now, because of all the great changes.

Have fun with the new house.

Trusted Contributor

mominohio, thank you for the warm wishes. After a lot of hard work with the drudgery of moving and getting settled in, I am finally at a place where I am starting to have fun with the house. The new decorating scheme is falling into place and is a work in progress.

Time will tell when the holidays come, I may decide to change it all up and go in a new holiday decorating direction as you did. Sounds like you had fun when you tried something new. I definitely want something simpler in holiday decorating that mixes in my year round decor. The move has given me an opportunity to focus on downsizing and decluttering and I really enjoying the more minimalist look. I'm just getting too old and tired for full scale holiday decorating. Lol!
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, your post was spot-on for me.  I ordered 3 Royal Palace rugs for our new home ( just relocated to N Florida ), Laura Geller makeup, food items & four sets of Mr. Christmas s/2 7" Nostalgic Ceramic Chrristmas Trees w/gift boxes (staff presents), VPH's ornament red/silver/green Christmas tree that sold out b4 it's presentation.  I did cancel Val's lantern auto delivery.  I only wanted the Fall lantern & did not like the one shown yesterday.  My submit finger was very twitchy, but my common sense prevailed!

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:
mominohio, thank you for the warm wishes. After a lot of hard work with the drudgery of moving and getting settled in, I am finally at a place where I am starting to have fun with the house. The new decorating scheme is falling into place and is a work in progress.

Time will tell when the holidays come, I may decide to change it all up and go in a new holiday decorating direction as you did. Sounds like you had fun when you tried something new. I definitely want something simpler in holiday decorating that mixes in my year round decor. The move has given me an opportunity to focus on downsizing and decluttering and I really enjoying the more minimalist look. I'm just getting too old and tired for full scale holiday decorating. Lol!

I hear you! And moving is the best motivator for getting rid of too much stuff, isn't it?

Not that you asked, but I'll share a couple of things that I have been moving toward, some things I came up with myself, and some were ideas fostered on this great forum.

First, I had/have a ton of Christmas things collected over the decades, much of it gifts, or special in some way. But I found I had some stuff that was just that, stuff. The stuff that I didn't love for who it came from or what it reminded me of, just had to go if I wasn't using it anymore. That was only hard at first. Once started, I could to it.

I had lots of little stuff. I think a lot of people reach middle age with a lot of little stuff. For me, it was because during my early years, and child raising years, I often couldn't afford the big statement pieces, and tried to compensate in my decor with 'more'. And because I couldn't go out and put together a whole look at once, it sometimes tended to be a mish mosh of things. I just reached a point where I wanted more a refined look and coordination at least by the room. 

I packed up a couple of big bins of things that I will send with my son when he has a home of his own. They are things he enjoyed as a child in our decor, many were gifts to him from us or his grandma (snow globes, music boxes, advent tree etc.), and I'll be happy to pass those things on right away. 

Then, when looking in magazines that featured nice holiday decor, I noticed that often, the 'less is more' style really made an impact. Like just a lantern with seasonal decor around the candle inside as the dining table centerpiece. Matching wreaths on the doors, with the same garland on the mantel and a few candles. Simple, easy, clean, festive traditional. That is more what I strive for now. Not there totally, and probably will never get every room that way, but it is a work in process.

Seasonal, not Christmas. I'm loving things that speak winter more than Christmas these days. Rather than a whole collection of Santa's on a table, I prefer a green wreath with pine cones and a flameless candle in the middle. Lanterns, greens and pine cones, wreaths, etc. replace a number of Santa or Snowman themed things.

Last, storage was a nightmare. Up and down stairs with boxes and stuff, closets and basement full of boxes and containers (and that isn't totally under control yet). So last year, I thought long and hard about how to change that. I noticed that in my decor, I had several things in each room that could be used to store Christmas decor. An antique trunk, several of the VPH (and other brands) ottomans. So this past year, as I packed up, I stored the decor for each room, in that room in those containers. I threw out a lot of boxes that individual things were stored in, saving a  lot of space and with a little creative packing, got virtually everything for each room in that room. I'm anxious to see how much easier and quickly the holiday decor goes up (and will store the regular decor in those same things during the season) this year. 

My goal is in the next few years, to be able to (aside for the trees) be able to put up all the holiday decor in just a couple of (maybe a total of four)  hours including cleaning the furniture and putting the regular decor away. In the last few years, it has taken a couple of days. 

ONce again, have fun with the new house. It can be so exciting to make a new living space, and do things that you never did in the past. Kind of the reward for all that hard work of cleaning out one house and moving to the other!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Very little of my CIJ wSo far, out meekend purchasing is.....

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio, you are so right about approaching middle age and finding ourselves with a lot of "stuff". We did major purging with this move and were rather ruthless in the process. As we held something in our hands while preparing to pack, we asked two questions. "Does it have a useful function?" or "Do I love it?" If the answer was no, it was either sold, donated or thrown out. We really streamlined things in the new house and the use of space is much improved. I agree with you wholeheartedly about being in a point of life where I feel that "less is more". 

There were home decor items that we owned that had just filled space and looked nice, but really wasn't what we loved or expressed our personalities. Our theme for this move was "love it or leave it". So far, what we've chosen for the new house really speaks to us and makes us happy. 

As an example, our old house sort of morphed into a color scheme of earth tones. While lovely and well done, it wasn't what I love. When I thought about the things that make me happy, I think of blue skies with fluffy white clouds, time spent by the water, and sunny days. So the new house house is coming together with shades of blue, crisp whites and accents of yellow. It gives our living space a whole new energy and I love walking through the door and being surrounded by happy colors. Life is too short not to be happy. 😊

I definitely feel your pain on the Christmas decor storage issue. Little boxes everywhere! That will be the last of the purging when it's time to pull out the holiday decor. At that point, I'll ask those two questions once again, and see what does or doesn't make the cut. You have some great ideas for storing holiday items, I will have to give that a try. 

I appreciate your reflections on what is working for you and I hope to follow your example and continue to sort, organize and streamline. I always enjoy reading your posts. 😊