Trusted Contributor

So last year I was totally into the whole velvet pumpkin thing.  I went crazy, buying them up whenever HomeGoods would get in a delivery.  This year is no exception ~ I still love them, but have only added a couple new colors to the pumpkin patch that has become our home.

While out running errands this morning I stopped into a local garden center that has an incredible gift shop.  They had (you guessed it) velvet pumpkins in sizes as small as 3" in the most beautiful colors!  I planned on buying lots of the little size since that size would be perfect for many areas in the house.  I planned on it, that is until I saw the price.  $15.99!  Huh?  I even checked another pumpkin to see if it was an error.  Nope.  Still $15.99.  Hmmm.  Now, I'm not thrifty by any stretch of the imagination.  I just couldn't believe the price.  The larger pumpkin was almosr $50.00!  The same size is sold at HomeGoods for $9.99.  After I saw that I went back to HomeGoods and bought three silvery-grey ones for a mere $9.99 each.  

I'm not sure why I'm writing this.  Disbelief, perhaps?  Any of you see anything like this in your area?  If so, how were they priced?  I'm curious...

Respected Contributor

Re: Velvet Pumpkins, Anyone?

[ Edited ]

😳 yikes ! Sixteen bucks for the tiny ones ? 

Thats crazy ! 

I bought a ton of them and made several also...still like them, but now I have too many ! 

I tucked several into my Christmas tree even....why did I buy so many ? 🤪

Regular Contributor

Homegoods always has the best prices.  I’ve bought quite a few velvet pumpkins from them.  

Trusted Contributor

I too love velvet pumpkins, sooo post away as much as you wish.

That is for sure a crazy price. 

Trusted Contributor

Almost $50 - wow!  The high prices is why I am attempting to make some.  I saved some stems from real pumpkins last year and it's really quite easy.  I'll post some pictures when I'm done. I just love the velvet pumpkins!

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

So last year I was totally into the whole velvet pumpkin thing.  I went crazy, buying them up whenever HomeGoods would get in a delivery.  This year is no exception ~ I still love them, but have only added a couple new colors to the pumpkin patch that has become our home.

While out running errands this morning I stopped into a local garden center that has an incredible gift shop.  They had (you guessed it) velvet pumpkins in sizes as small as 3" in the most beautiful colors!  I planned on buying lots of the little size since that size would be perfect for many areas in the house.  I planned on it, that is until I saw the price.  $15.99!  Huh?  I even checked another pumpkin to see if it was an error.  Nope.  Still $15.99.  Hmmm.  Now, I'm not thrifty by any stretch of the imagination.  I just couldn't believe the price.  The larger pumpkin was almosr $50.00!  The same size is sold at HomeGoods for $9.99.  After I saw that I went back to HomeGoods and bought three silvery-grey ones for a mere $9.99 each.  

I'm not sure why I'm writing this.  Disbelief, perhaps?  Any of you see anything like this in your area?  If so, how were they priced?  I'm curious...

@Julie928  Have you seen yellow in person?  I notice them this year, not exactly Fall colors.

I have seen pumpkins in many places that can be over $100, silly for such an item.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl ~ I just bought a wreath from Pier1 that has five pumpkins on it that are covered in a yellow velvety material.  I really like it ~ they added dried corn husks (I think thats what you call it) and some pinecones and it works!  I needed something a little brighter for over our mantel since the background is a dark brick.  You can find it on their website if you'd like to see it.  :-)

Yep, I'm bummed about the cost of the pumpkins I saw today.  I loved the smaller size but refuse to pay almost $16.00 for a 3-inch pumpkin (that my dog would probably get ahold of and claim as her toy, lol)!

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@mousiegirl ~ I just bought a wreath from Pier1 that has five pumpkins on it that are covered in a yellow velvety material.  I really like it ~ they added dried corn husks (I think thats what you call it) and some pinecones and it works!  I needed something a little brighter for over our mantel since the background is a dark brick.  You can find it on their website if you'd like to see it.  :-)

Yep, I'm bummed about the cost of the pumpkins I saw today.  I loved the smaller size but refuse to pay almost $16.00 for a 3-inch pumpkin (that my dog would probably get ahold of and claim as her toy, lol)!

@Julie928  Thank you.  I'll let you know if I see any at zulily this year, I may have bought them all last year, LOL.

Honored Contributor

I've seen some velvet pumpkins that are very affordable at Marshalls.

Respected Contributor

@Julie928. I just bought 2-3" velvet pumpkins at  Bath and Body Works for $3.95 each. They had several colors and oh, there is a 20% off coupon.