Esteemed Contributor

Re: Various styles of holiday decor, define it and what you wish for

@Mominohio, One for me and one for my mom, who would go crazy over mine.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio, One for me and one for my mom, who would go crazy over mine.  :-)

@SHOPR

My mom is 80 and lives next door to me. I used to buy and put together things I like and she would come down and see them, she'd want them as well. 

So often now, I have to buy two of everything too, so I don't have to give her mine!LOL

About a year ago, I told her that we need to stop buying the same things, but each buy different things that we both love, then swap them back and forth and save a lot of money and a lot of storage space.

Sort of a lending library of home/holiday decor! 

Respected Contributor

My overall taste, throughout the year, is for simplicity.  What others may call "elegant,"  i.e., sparkly, feathery, battery operated, etc., I call cheap.  I don't mean that as inexpensive, as it certainly is not, but low par in my book.  It just does not appeal to me.   "To each his own."

I have a category of Christmas decor all my own, "Soft."  You see, many years ago, we endured a traumatic death in the immediate family just before Christmas Day with the funeral being on Dec. 26.  The holidays bring back a lot of harsh memories, therefore I prefer soft surroundings during that time. I decorate with lots of stuffed animals for pillows on the couches and chairs, candlelight is soothing, with a preference for balsam scent, natural items such as floral / fruit arrangements, pine cones, too. 

Even our outdoor decor is low-key when compared to others'. It looks funny, I suppose, because most of our neighbors go "all out" with lights everywhere they can stick a string. We, on the other hand, simply put candle lights in the windows, drape the porch rail with garlands, white lights and poinsettias, and mount a lighted wreath over the garage door. Interestingly (to me, at least) another neighbor told us his guests commented how elegant our house looked.  "To each his own."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

@Mominohio my mom and grandmother would also buy together and get the same thing sometimes with just a slight variation. When my grandmother passed my mom didn't get rid of any of her decorations and other stuff. When my mom passed my siblings and me had a lot of stuff to go through including the duplicate items. The great thing about that was if any of us wanted a particular thing and it was damaged the duplicate was almost always salvageable.

Respected Contributor

I got one when my kids were little but he developed a "groan"! Didn't know where to oil him so we sold him!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Oh, I've gone through all those, too! As a result, I have way too many things! I gave lots to my married kids, but I have been given many things over the years I am sentimental about so, out it goes! When I don't display things I feel guilty! My kids and late mother added to a lot of collections, now I feel I must display them! My house is smaller than my last one, not as much space!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Mominohio, thank you for an idea of how to define certain styles.  I suspect what most posters miss is variety in QVC's offerings.  I like many of the items that Valerie brings, but I'm ready for mercury glass, finials and spheres to be deleted from the offerings.  

I regret that QVC has chosen to spread the holiday items out over several months rather than introducing the majority during CIJ.  I understand that QVC is trying to interest us in viewing more shows, but I think they are missing the paradigm shift that has occurred with increased Internet usage for viewing shows, browsing item categories and ordering. There will continue to be an audience who watch QVC live to connect to a world outside their home, but there's a growing audience that doesn't care about QVC hosts and shows particularly, just the products and their use.  Videos of Valerie or another host decorating a room, a table, a tree, etc. with QVC products are of interest to me.  Knowing how many sold, seeing the same item presented over and over again, hearing certain hosts use hyperbole to try to sell an item, listening to customer calls, etc. is not of interest to me nor to many of us, I suspect.  As usual, though, QVC's marketing team seems to be mired in old strategies.

@Marsha2003 Good analysis...

And I don't think it can necessarily say that QVC brings in what sells. I think they offer what their buyers assumed would sell a decade ago and they seem to stay stuck in that rut. I don't doubt that they sell a good bit of what they offer, but with more variety, they might actually re-interest some of us who have tired of the same old stuff.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

And I don't think it can necessarily say that QVC brings in what sells. I think they offer what their buyers assumed would sell a decade ago and they seem to stay stuck in that rut. I don't doubt that they sell a good bit of what they offer, but with more variety, they might actually re-interest some of us who have tired of the same old stuff.

Agreed!