Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie's New Lantern in Red and Black H211509

@Winter Holiday

I just now watched the video of the presentation, and Valerie did mention Santa more than once, although she was clearly pointing to the empty black sleigh. A little strange to be sure. I believe they were showing what you are getting, but that is just my thoughts. I think it is a lovely piece, and the red is showing waitlist availability only. I hope those that receive it love it. The black would have been my choice, but I have the four lanterns with the different seasons that Valerie has offered the last two years. I really like mine. Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday , I do agree, after listening to the video, that Valerie should not have mentioned Santa in the presentation. I am surprised Jill didn't clarify for everyone. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I think it looks more like terrarium than lantern because of its rectangular shape.  I wouldn't go for it, Santa or not.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought one in the red......but I am going to take out those awful greens and fix it up a little nicer and add those wire fairy lights.

If it looks too odd without Santa....I'll  just buy a small one to stick in there or see if my daughter can come up with something with her Cricut

I want to put it on my coffee table for a different look this year.

Honored Contributor

@Winter Holiday wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I did notice that, from the picture online before I saw the presentation. 

Kind of strange!

The deal breaker for me and that particular lantern is that those candles are mounted in and all tied together. When one goes, I bet they all do. And it might have been worth buying if everything came out, so you could fill it differently, but you are pretty much stuck using it the way it is. the greens probably come out, but the candles don't. 

And I don't think it was very honest of them to not mention that the candles are permanent, but when she showed the bottom, it seemed obvious, along with the fact that batteries were only needed in the middle one.

I agree with all you said. I noticed too that when the lantern was turned around to make it usable past the season the reindeer could still be seen and that really didn't work. It also seemed like the greenery was really covering the sleigh part in the red lantern almost disguising the flaw. I wonder if they noticed it  I mean its a huge mistake. This supposedly sold out. I wonder how many people are going to catch this after they receive it and be upset. 

I will say I loved the shape of the lantern, and the color of the red was nicely done. Even the sleigh on it was a nice touch.

They could have made the sleigh and reindeer removable, something that tucked into the frame, then removed after the season.

And honestly the filler and candles were cheap looking, and poorly arranged. The filler looked like someone just jammed it in, and I would hope that it is removable, because the sleigh and deer would make a better statement with just the backdrop of the light from the candles. It would be more stark, like when he flies past the moon at the end of The Night Before Christmas.

It is another time where Valerie and Q bring us something that is a terrific idea and design, but then don't commit to executing it properly. 

It is  as though they have a price point to keep, so in the middle of the process, cheapen things to keep it affordable. 

Quite frankly, I'd have liked to seen the lantern offered alone, or with just two or three removable candles. 

And for anyone wanting that shape and size of lantern, they are available out there. I've just not purchased one yet. 

For those that might have ordered, please let us know the quality and how it looks when you get it. Often Valieries things are better (or worse!) in person.

@Winter Holiday

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

I did not order this because I don't need anymore holiday things, but I think this looked more sophisticated, and elegant, without Santa. Both Jill and Valerie were careful to point out you could open the top to rearrange the greenery. Also, they said more than once it took two batteries to light up all 3 candles. I don't think either of them were being dishonest in the presentation in any way. It was presented as shown, and they never indicated you could use the candles any where besides just what you were seeing.

A good host would make it a point to make it clear that the candles were fixed. This has been an issue with the earlier Luminara lanterns, many people were unhappy with the fixed candles inside, and Luminara/Q has changed that so they now are removable. The company and the hosts know this is something customers care about, but kind of skirted past it in this presentation.

Jill is a very savvy host. She knows exactly what customers are looking for, what they have requested and what they have complained about. You now have to watch what QVC is NOT saying about a product, as well as what they are saying. Usually Jill will tell you exactly what something isn't or won't do. But they were beating around the bush with this one a bit. 

I understand the nuisances. I see how it can confuse people to simply brush past something like this, that might be a deal breaker for some buyers, and I do find it a bit disingenuous. 

Both Jill and Valerie have the experience to know that this would have been much better received had everything inside been separate and removable, but this is obviously the cost effective way to make it, or the only thing/way it was available from the manufacturer, so they ran with it. Yes, give people a glimpse so they can't claim they were deceived, but still, not the detailed explanation that they are both so good at giving, and I still maintain it was because they knew it would not be a positive selling feature.

Honored Contributor

I always assume the lights are fixed unless otherwise stated.  It is odd there is no Santa.  It's still a cute piece though.

Contributor

I didn't like how the hinges were in the front.

Super Contributor

oh my word, have you people not ever seen  Santa's sleigh without him in it? Why don't you make fun of sleighs being sold with garland,candies, presents or other items in the sleigh lol..  I see people display small sleighs all the time without Santa. I see sillouttes of his sleigh and reindeer sold all the time and displayed. Not that big of a deal. Anyway I liked the black one and ordered it. I think it's quite unique. I don't have any Christmas lanterns because I think they're all kind of boring until I saw this one. Gosh seems like some need to get a life to sit and pick a apart a product smh lol Then to call something cheap at QVC...well honey you ain't shopping at Neimus Marcus. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ILUVChristmas wrote:

@ILUVChristmas wrote:

oh my word, have you people not ever seen  Santa's sleigh without him in it? Why don't you make fun of sleighs being sold with garland,candies, presents or other items in the sleigh lol..  I see people display small sleighs all the time without Santa. I see sillouttes of his sleigh and reindeer sold all the time and displayed. Not that big of a deal. Anyway I liked the black one and ordered it. I think it's quite unique. I don't have any Christmas lanterns because I think they're all kind of boring until I saw this one. Gosh seems like some need to get a life to sit and pick a apart a product smh lol Then to call something cheap at QVC...well honey you ain't shopping at Neimus Marcus. 

It seems someone is a bit defensive. Sure I have seen sleighs without Santa and that are fillable but that wasn't my point. It sure is a leap to say myself or others don't have a life because we notice an obvious flaw in a scene that should have Santa in it with the word Santa being used over and over.

There are plenty of flaws in the Q's holiday decor products that is why one must do the work and pay attention to what is shown on camera how something looks in the online profile and what is or isn't said. That is not sad that is smart shopping.

I don't know who the Neiman Marcus comment was addressed to but I can tell you the store carries very little to no holiday decor. Just because someone isn't in an establishment where they would pay ridiculously prices for items doesn't mean they should have no standards for things they want to buy at a lower price point. I have seen high end items that are hideous looking and poor quality and cheaper priced items that look more expensive the difference often being a choice of color. Personally I would rather shop independently anywhere than have a sales associate who is fake follow me around and pretend to be genuine when I know its what they have to do as part of their job.

I don't know how pointing out Santa is missing from a scene that should usually include him offends you but okay. You like the lantern that's super. You think the lantern is the bees knees well beautiful. No one is judging your taste.