Frequent Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill holy family w/cathedral mirror...

My Holy Family arrived today, but set it aside to wait for a better time to open the box.  However, after reading this thread I decided to open the box now.  

I ordered the Champagne and sadly it is a mess!  I have never had a piece that looked totally unfinished especially on the backside.  The baby had pink paint sloppily applied, paint splatter on Joesph's face/neck.  Mary's robe was missing what appears to be some type of silver relief on her head covering.  Just behind Joesphs feet the champagne color was missing.  I can't afford to keep this in this condition as I would be truly afraid of someone looking closely at it to see just how horrible this piece is. It was going to be displayed on a side table not up high where no one could see the poor quality and workman ship.

This is the second item I've had to return from my CIJ purchases.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LIL EARL  I'm so sad your holy family piece is in terrible condition. Make sure you get your S&H charges back too. What a shame that these are sold out and you can't get a replacement. It sound like the problems with yours even I couldn't fix Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

At the price of her pieces why oh why would the customer need to fix, paint, clean -- IMO that's absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Of course, if you love it that's great but QVC should give you a credit for not returning & doing QVC quality control job...oh wait, that's gone ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

At the price of her pieces why oh why would the customer need to fix, paint, clean -- IMO that's absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Of course, if you love it that's great but QVC should give you a credit for not returning & doing QVC quality control job...oh wait, that's gone ....

@homedecor1  With the help of @yellowrose , she reminded me about getting a credit for the poor quality without returning (page 3 of this thread). I called CS and got a $10 credit...

So in the end, for $34.52 before S&H & tax, I'm satisfied.

As for the 'cleaning' you mentioned, cleaning the mirrors would be normal...LOL These pieces could have been in their respective boxes in a warehouse for a relatively long period of time (several months to a year or more) and developed a dirty film. That happens...

Have you ever used a cloche for decorating? Not only does the outside of the dome get dusty over a short period of time, but a film develops on the inside of the glass too...and just takes a few weeks. I only mentioned that as an example.

It's not as if all of these decor pieces were made just a month or two ago...or just before shipping like parishables/food would be expected to be made before shipment.

Many of the decor pieces have been sitting on containers on ships for many months between travel time from China to the US...which doesn't include the time they were in warehouses in China or in the US after they arrived in a QVC warehouse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise 

Very true with all items ordered from anywhere -- there have been instances in Dollar Tree, Hobby Lobby & most recently in Michaels - I'm going to purchase something (halloween item) and with my "sensitive" nose it smelled mildew🤢.

I am glad to read they gave you a credit🙂.  I recently bought VPH beveled large mirror & yes it was perfect but definitely had a "haze" on it -- just cleaned it with some Windex.  No, I don't have any cloches (domed glass) but lots of laterns that I clean the glass.

Not VPH but I recently purchased the Gund Peek N' Play stuffed animal for a baby gift.  Arrived today -- box "crushed" in the center  haven't opened it as yet 🤞🏻it's ok!

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise    I just read the repairs needed on the holy family and received mine today in similar condition, ie paint chipped few cracks & glue on mirrors.

I called customer service and told her I love the piece and hate to return it as it’s sold out. But I need to purchase paint etc. 

She was very apologetic and looked up the price which was $53.52 (va high tax) she said she is crediting my credit card for $18.00. If you have to do much repair you could give them a call!

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Susan Louise    I just read the repairs needed on the holy family and received mine today in similar condition, ie paint chipped few cracks & glue on mirrors.

I called customer service and told her I love the piece and hate to return it as it’s sold out. But I need to purchase paint etc. 

She was very apologetic and looked up the price which was $53.52 (va high tax) she said she is crediting my credit card for $18.00. If you have to do much repair you could give them a call!

@1Snickers  Congrats on your $18 credit! Sorry to hear yours was in the same type of condition.

I called CS and was fortunate to get $10, so I'm content. It is a substantial piece...

I mentioned about the credit I got earlier in the thread (page 3). Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I received my champagne color one on Thursday. I put it in closet unopened, but then after reading here decided I better inspect it. To my surprise it is beautiful and I don’t see the flaws many of you have reported. I was concerned about the back being finished or not and since no presentation or video, no way to know before purchase. The plaster on the back is not smooth but is painted probably with one coat of paint not the paint with glitter as is used on the front. My first thoughts were to buy some paint at craft store but the more I look at it the last couple days I think I can live with it the way it arrived since I will lean a large star that I have against the back when I decorate for Christmas. I do realize that over time the mirror will require cleaning to avoid a film build up.
Frequent Contributor

Wow!  I am on Waitlist for the bronze one.  After hearing all these comments about the poor quality of the painting, I think I will cancel my order.  I really thought it was beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise   Today I repaired my holy family scene. It took awhile because I just used small knives to chip away glue and plaster. Cleaned the mirror and removed loose brush hairs from their paint job.

I used an oil sharpie in gold to touch up places and it’s did well and is much improved. 

Obviously the one I got was constructed without any quality control and should have been returned. But with the partial refund and touch up I’ll enjoy it.