Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill CIJ TSV available now

Not sure how these will hold up over time

Not crazy about things with liquid inside ie waterglobes etc

Its a pass for me BUT I do think they a pretty

Regular Contributor

Easy pass for me also, so over lanterns!  I have two huge ones from Martha that are now sitting in my sun room. 

Respected Contributor

If they had an option to play Christmas carols, I would probably succumb to temptation, but I'll pass on the current version.  Seeing them, though, reminded me to get my patriotic version of a similar lantern out of the closet.

Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I think it is adorable....I love the church version but I am on the fence about this. Already have too many lanterns.

Edited to add:  after viewing the video, I am definitely ordering the Church version and using it on a mantel display with my angels and glass Christmas trees. So excited. Smiley Very Happy

@Regal Bee  I do hope you're happy with it when you get it. As others have noted - and I have experience with this type of item also - this type of item with a motor that twirls the snow tends to stop working after quite a short time. Test it thoroughly. Let's hope it has been improved.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

I like the ornate lantern exterior very much and would LOVE to have one of them in metal, not acrylic like the TSV with an empty interior I could decorate myself. 

As for this lantern as offered, in my opinion, the only two inside scenes that go with the outer lantern are the church and Santa.  The rest seem too cartoon-like to match the exterior style. 

I'm not impressed with any of the CIJ sale items I've seen so far.  While on the one hand I was hoping to be inspired, on the other I was hoping not to be tempted.  They may tempt me yet with over a month to go!

@SHOPR  I agree. Every year I keep saying I'm not going to buy anything and each year I have been unable to stick to my resolve. I have learned slowly...VERY slowly, to be much more in tune with choosing pieces of decor now.

Is it something I LOVE...or just like a lot?

Will I REALLY use it?

Is the new piece better than what I already have?

What will I be willing to let go to make room for the new piece?

Will the piece compliment/fit into what I will be using yearly?

As each year passes I find that I change the vignettes less and less...mainly due to I'm so content with how things look and we are so pleased with the pieces. When I look back at the pics of displays/vignettes I made on previous years, I wasn't quite as happy about them...always feeling a need for improvement or change.

It's not that I've become lazy about decorating...not at all. However, I think it's finding the right pieces. I have become tired of certain themes and I have become especially content with an overall 'vintage' theme that I can see myself using the rest of my life.

There is no chance I can escape not getting more decor this year. I've already been thinking about getting another VPH 3' glitter tree for the kitchen.

At least I've reached a point that anything else I buy will have to have the 'wow' factor...LOL  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@froggy wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

I think it is adorable....I love the church version but I am on the fence about this. Already have too many lanterns.

Edited to add:  after viewing the video, I am definitely ordering the Church version and using it on a mantel display with my angels and glass Christmas trees. So excited. Smiley Very Happy

@Regal Bee  I do hope you're happy with it when you get it. As others have noted - and I have experience with this type of item also - this type of item with a motor that twirls the snow tends to stop working after quite a short time. Test it thoroughly. Let's hope it has been improved.

@froggy   I do hope so also. It would be so PERFECT in the display I am envisioning. I plan to test it for a couple of months and then we can go from there. With the Q's return plan, I don't see a huge problem.

Fingers crossed. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

I like the ornate lantern exterior very much and would LOVE to have one of them in metal, not acrylic like the TSV with an empty interior I could decorate myself. 

As for this lantern as offered, in my opinion, the only two inside scenes that go with the outer lantern are the church and Santa.  The rest seem too cartoon-like to match the exterior style. 

I'm not impressed with any of the CIJ sale items I've seen so far.  While on the one hand I was hoping to be inspired, on the other I was hoping not to be tempted.  They may tempt me yet with over a month to go!

@SHOPR  I agree. Every year I keep saying I'm not going to buy anything and each year I have been unable to stick to my resolve. I have learned slowly...VERY slowly, to be much more in tune with choosing pieces of decor now.

Is it something I LOVE...or just like a lot?

Will I REALLY use it?

Is the new piece better than what I already have?

What will I be willing to let go to make room for the new piece?

Will the piece compliment/fit into what I will be using yearly?

As each year passes I find that I change the vignettes less and less...mainly due to I'm so content with how things look and we are so pleased with the pieces. When I look back at the pics of displays/vignettes I made on previous years, I wasn't quite as happy about them...always feeling a need for improvement or change.

It's not that I've become lazy about decorating...not at all. However, I think it's finding the right pieces. I have become tired of certain themes and I have become especially content with an overall 'vintage' theme that I can see myself using the rest of my life.

There is no chance I can escape not getting more decor this year. I've already been thinking about getting another VPH 3' glitter tree for the kitchen.

At least I've reached a point that anything else I buy will have to have the 'wow' factor...LOL  Smiley Very Happy

@Susan Louise, Your vignettes of the past have always looked great to me.  I'm glad that you kept your VPH Santa and Reindeer.  They look so vintage and nicely finished.  Also, I have always admired the wreath you had with the large red jingle bells.  I would've had a hard time donating that.  I probably should've bought myself one but I passed on it for some reason.

Esteemed Contributor

@dinka  I am afraid of the water in water globes, ets. There are some very expensive ones that I wanted last year from LR but the company lists antifreeze as an additive. They said all globes use it to make snow, etc flow. I don’t want it leaking with the dogs.

Valued Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@dinka  I am afraid of the water in water globes, ets. There are some very expensive ones that I wanted last year from LR but the company lists antifreeze as an additive. They said all globes use it to make snow, etc flow. I don’t want it leaking with the dogs.

@1Snickers  Wow, I didn’t realize this, but you’re right. If a dog were to knock this over and the fluid ended up on the floor, the dog could get very sick if it tried to lick it up. Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@froggy   I do hope so also. It would be so PERFECT in the display I am envisioning. I plan to test it for a couple of months and then we can go from there. With the Q's return plan, I don't see a huge problem.

Fingers crossed. Smiley Happy

@Regal Bee   You will have six months to test it. Smiley Happy