Trusted Contributor

Re: VINTAGE DINING ROOM AFTER CHRISTMAS

Lovely, especially love the bird prints and how she used vintage looking glass and metal containers to hold greenery.  

After the holidays I take down my obvious Christmas stuff right away and then slowly convert to the next season as the mood strikes.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

My snowmen and ladies stay up. My dining room table has an old fashioned vase with Christmas greens. Over my mantle has a Thomas Kincaid picture with Victorian house and a snowman. 

Honored Contributor

I love the photos in the OP.  When the Christmas decorations get packed away I bring out my "regular decorations" which is what I call my non-seasonal stuff.  I too have a lot of topiary balls in various vessels, candles, and artistic pieces that I have accumulated over the years.  I really love those moss orbs in the pictures.  I'm going to have to add them to my topiaries for some variety.  I also love the calming colors of the rooms in the photos.

Respected Contributor

I love the bird prints and the basket with the fern...I also love all of the greenery with the clear glass and pale colors...a nice change that hints that spring will come. I would never think to use a shutter as a table runner....but it works in this room...clever. I don't really decorate for winter, just put away Christmas things and enjoy my home as it is until I begin putting out some things for spring. My red amaryllis looks so good this year I will leave it out as long as it does; too pretty to discard.

Super Contributor

@Oznell  , I like your idea of seeing how decorators "step back" after the holiday.  When looking at photos of the professionally holiday-decorated homes, I sometimes wondered how the removal of the holiday decorations would be compensated for so a room wouldn't look so barren or feel like such a let-down.

Super Contributor

Wondering about that unhinged door leaning against the corner in the dining room.  I do like the flowers-half-basket that is hanging off of it, though.

Honored Contributor

@QVCisFun,   I like the door for the same reason I'm taken with the use of the shutter--  I'm so susceptible to pieces of architectural salvage brought indoors.  Just love it!  Even though I have absolutely none in my own house (at the moment).

Honored Contributor

I think the rooms look lovely...soothing and pretty.

The week after Christmas I put away everything but the greenery, lit twig trees, and the Christmas Tree. I undecorate the Christmas Tree and enjoy just the lights and greenery in my home. I leave these things up for about another week. 

Super Contributor

@Oznell , I like her shutter idea and and think it is a clever idea, but I have reservations about it because it looks like it takes up too much space on the table and is too heavy and inconvenient to move on a whim.

I was curious to see if she used other items in addition to the shutter and door, that typically have hinges, so I went to her website.  She did not disappoint.  Under the "About" tab, she has a photo of a wire gate on a dresser that serves as a backdrop that is supporting a framed picture.  She wrote  "I'll tell you all about my rusty gate" but when following that hyperlink she tells a story about coming home from a ten day vacation to find "record numbers of fruit flies" in her house because somebody left a banana peel in the house before they left for vacation . . .  Maybe somewhere else on her website she tells the story about her "rusty gate".   Decorating with a rusty gate in the house seems a little unhinged.  Wonder if they are up-to-date on their tetanus shots.

Happy New Year.
Honored Contributor

This is an interesting room.  The table draped with fabric is a bit curious.  I do like the door leaned against the wall with the basket of flowers.

I bring my small antique framed art and a small framed collage of antique fabrics.